Dragonshaper Build Thread

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

One Two Three Five

Dragonshaper Build Thread

Post by One Two Three Five » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:38 am

So here's what we know.

:arrow: Druids will be given a -command of some sort, granting them an extra epic feat.
:arrow: DS requires 25 Wisdom and can be selected with the above command.

Stats here

This is without their weapon, which, here:
Red Dragon: 5 AB, d10
Green/Bronze: 4 AB, 1d8
Also doing 1d6 base, as a magic staff

And their individual powersets:
Green:
100% Acid Immunity
12 Hide/MS
3d6 Sneak Attack
18 SR

Red:
100% Fire Immunity
100% Cold Vulnerability
18 SR

Brass:
100% Electric Immunity
24 SR
AB of 50 on red, 44 on brass/green,
dealing d6+d10+23 for red, average of 32 per hit
d6+d6+19 for the other two, average of 26. (Green has sneak attacks, though.)

AC calculation should be 10+20 dodge+dex, assuming it works like base NWN. On a pure druid, crossclassed tumble brings the 45/47 up to 48/50, a cast of barkskin to 53/55, and imp expertise buzzes you to 63/65.

But that's all besides the point. How would yall build druids now, assuming you have to also take the new dragonshape? I believe the requirements are 25 wisdom and 21 druid levels. Totems allowed, all gear is legal so long as you have proficiency and enough UMD.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Oshido

Re: Dragonshaper Build Thread

Post by Oshido » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:43 pm

I have a old style legacy svirf with all three gifts as wis, int, con. am going for a skill monkey. rat totem and has an int score of 22. looking for 3 rogue levels for filthy rat pick pocket, trapping, lockpicking etc. now that I'll not be taking monk I'm not sure what other class to take to compliment this idea. Dragon shape will be it's backup for getting cornered. Maybe just 3 fighter in epics for the feats. 5 shadow dancer for hide in plain sight maybe.
:evil:

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:16 am

You could go for bard instead of rogue, use green dragon? 3d6 sneaks is more than you'd get from a rogue dump.

That said I had an idea for an illusion/conj druid 24/shadowdancer 6. Dragon knight/shape, -project image.. Take a totem with +'s to physical stats once you've got dodge and mobility (is this still legal?) Gives you full tumble ranks and lets you stack DS hide/ms with full class ranks, along with the stealth bonuses druids already get.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:31 am

To use dragon shape in its current state would require discipline dump methinks.

Pavor Nocturnus

Post by Pavor Nocturnus » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:27 am

One Two Three Five wrote: This is without their weapon, which, here:
Red Dragon: 5 AB, d10
Green/Bronze: 4 AB, 1d8
Also doing 1d6 base, as a magic staff
So just to be clear, on top of the weapon foci feats, it's now also useless for dragonshapers to take improved critical (unarmed strike) and the weapon specialization feats?
here
here
up here kane
Kane
up here
Kane morris

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:49 am

Pretty sure that was the point.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:27 pm

Only imp crit worked before nerf since it was a creature weapon

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:36 pm

The magic staff base was indeed chosen specifically to avoid feat improvements to AB/dmg.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:10 pm

Unarmed critical still enhances other shapes. Only not dragonshape.
:)

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:28 pm

Does the fact that the dragon is mechanically wielding a magic staff allow them to be targeted by spells like blackstaff, blade thirst, and holy sword that can be cast on enchanted weapons?

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:39 pm

That's a good point I had not thought of, but that can be disabled.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Jagel wrote:To use dragon shape in its current state would require discipline dump methinks.
Not necessarily. With the right gear and build planning, you can reach 78 AC while maintaining 45 AB. While knockdown isn't the only thing discipline defends against, a pure druid could theoretically survive in 1v1 vs. someone who doesn't have an ample supply of true strike potions.

Still, it's not something I would recommend.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:59 pm

KDing a dragonshape druid requires Improved Knockdown as well, a feat some builds cannot afford. So it's a very good situational feat, which is fitting for a class that should be a jack of trades.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:06 pm

Lorkas wrote:Does the fact that the dragon is mechanically wielding a magic staff allow them to be targeted by spells like blackstaff, blade thirst, and holy sword that can be cast on enchanted weapons?
Head's up about this.

The way the Blackstaff DC is calculated, the on-hit DC is going to be very, very low on a Dragonshaper - and in fact on any individual without arcane casting levels and a decent arcane casting stat. It's not really a worry.

Blade Thirst, Holy Sword and Bless Weapon, however, will be changed sometime soon as to not work on Magic Staffs.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

hoshi

Post by hoshi » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:26 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:
Lorkas wrote:Does the fact that the dragon is mechanically wielding a magic staff allow them to be targeted by spells like blackstaff, blade thirst, and holy sword that can be cast on enchanted weapons?
Head's up about this.

The way the Blackstaff DC is calculated, the on-hit DC is going to be very, very low on a Dragonshaper - and in fact on any individual without arcane casting levels and a decent arcane casting stat. It's not really a worry.

Blade Thirst, Holy Sword and Bless Weapon, however, will be changed sometime soon as to not work on Magic Staffs.
Wait, is the blackstaff DC calculated by the recipient and not the caster? I haven't personally used it but unless in gives the recipient a buff that works as you switch out weapons then the druid cannot take advantage of it as they can't use scrolls in dragon shape.

I'd think the rest already wouldn't have much in the way of performance as potions (and Holy Sword can't be brewed).

As far as someone else choosing to cast the spell on a dragon shaper, I wouldn't see a reason to call them out over anyone else as they're far from the most melee DPS oriented class just counting the caster.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:42 am

Does blackstaff benefit from transmutation spell foci, by any chance? It would be nice, considering transmutation is quite a poor choice in general.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:59 am

Lurch wrote:Does blackstaff benefit from transmutation spell foci, by any chance? It would be nice, considering transmutation is quite a poor choice in general.
Not so much anymore! But no, Blackstaff gets no transmutation buffs.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:17 pm

Actually, the DC of the on-hit Blackstaff effect is modified by transmutation foci.

It would still be pretty low when cast on a non-arcane caster though. Even with foci bonuses.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:34 pm

Note to self: Double-check wiki every time before posting. So many changes that I keep forgetting what's been reworked!

So how is Blackstaff DC actually calculated? 10 + Innate Level + SF Transmutation bonuses + Int/Cha mod of the person with the weapon? Or Int/Cha mod of the caster, assuming the two aren't one and the same?
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:Note to self: Double-check wiki every time before posting. So many changes that I keep forgetting what's been reworked!

So how is Blackstaff DC actually calculated? 10 + Innate Level + SF Transmutation bonuses + Int/Cha mod of the person with the weapon? Or Int/Cha mod of the caster, assuming the two aren't one and the same?
The DC is wholly dependent on the one wielding the weapon. 10 + Innate Level (8) + Wielder's Transmutation Foci. If the wielder has wizard levels, the INT mod is added. Otherwise, if the wielder has sorcerer levels, the CHA mod is added. (But not both.)

If the wielder has no levels in either of those two classes, then no attribute modifier is added.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:19 am

Damn, I was hoping it would be the caster who's feats and abilities count, not the recipient's. Arcane transmuter with Mordekainen's sword buffed by blackstaff would've been cool. I guess spellswords will still like it...