PDK Builds

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Baron Saturday

Re: PDK Builds

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:30 am

Wytchee wrote:Is PDK not a prestige class? I thought you could only have 20 levels of prestige classes, and these builds have more than that. :P

Would Tribal Barbarians suck at only 20 barb levels?
To answer your second question, from what I've heard, Tribal barbarians are pretty bad at any level. I don't have any hard numbers on them, though.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:15 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
Wytchee wrote:Is PDK not a prestige class? I thought you could only have 20 levels of prestige classes, and these builds have more than that. :P

Would Tribal Barbarians suck at only 20 barb levels?
To answer your second question, from what I've heard, Tribal barbarians are pretty bad at any level. I don't have any hard numbers on them, though.
They can carry you through the leveling process up to around level 16, but from there on out they just die before they can do anything meaningful. If you want them to be useful at all, you pretty much have to go pure 30 barb.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:15 am

Tribal barbarian is long overdue for a rework.

Not saying that's going to happen any time soon*, but the path certainly isn't in a good (or interesting, IMO) place.

(* Honestly, I'm suffering from rework fatigue, and I suspect members of the playerbase are too.)

Oshido

Post by Oshido » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:46 pm

4fghtr/6pdk/20cot Kensai protector
No umd so...but I don't care...
Epic wep spec. Epic skill focus disc/heal.lots of feats to play with. Good spot.
35 to 40 in all saves before gear and buffs
Plus 9 ab and saves/good Dr from cot for 25 to 30 rounds.
All 6pdk buffs just won't shine like at lvl 10. Still protector gets 12 or so spell failure to target.

Obviously made as a quick burst saves tank ready to smash caster faces quickly before they get a chance to buff. Great for mounted concept.
:evil:

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:18 pm

A Bard 20 / Vanguard 10 with lasting inspiration and high ranks in perform, intimidate and taunt sounds terrifying for anyone without a crazy high concentration or access to silence. Bard song can be used to push offensive skills by +8

With 50 perform, Curse song gives -2 AB, -5 AC, -2 (-3 fort) saves and -8 skills. debuffed concentration is good for the following debuffs.
With intimidate, Vanguard gives further -5 AB/AC/saves/skills and 25% spell failure, up to 11 times a day.
Finally, Taunt gives even further -6 AC and further 30% spell failure in 30 second chunks.

At this point whatever you were fighting is mostly just begging to be knocked down, disarmed, and killed, by you or your buddies on steroids.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:44 pm

Lurch wrote:A Bard 20 / Vanguard 10 with lasting inspiration and high ranks in perform, intimidate and taunt sounds terrifying for anyone without a crazy high concentration or access to silence. Bard song can be used to push offensive skills by +8

With 50 perform, Curse song gives -2 AB, -5 AC, -2 (-3 fort) saves and -8 skills. debuffed concentration is good for the following debuffs.
With intimidate, Vanguard gives further -5 AB/AC/saves/skills and 25% spell failure, up to 11 times a day.
Finally, Taunt gives even further -6 AC and further 30% spell failure in 30 second chunks.

At this point whatever you were fighting is mostly just begging to be knocked down, disarmed, and killed, by you or your buddies on steroids.
Looks like you're using old PDK stats. PDK hasn't been updated on the wiki - check out the updates thread for how it work now.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Astral

Post by Astral » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:36 pm

Oshido wrote:4fghtr/6pdk/20cot Kensai protector
No umd so...but I don't care...
Epic wep spec. Epic skill focus disc/heal.lots of feats to play with. Good spot.
35 to 40 in all saves before gear and buffs
Plus 9 ab and saves/good Dr from cot for 25 to 30 rounds.
All 6pdk buffs just won't shine like at lvl 10. Still protector gets 12 or so spell failure to target.

Obviously made as a quick burst saves tank ready to smash caster faces quickly before they get a chance to buff. Great for mounted concept.
Yes!! Kensai build! <3
Maybe a bit over kill with the cot lvls (remember that post lvl 10, cot no longer get bonus feat every even lvl, every 4 lvls instead). I would suggest going 5 fighter, 15 cot, 10 pdk (or 4 fighter 16 cot. you kinda pick between 1 ac and 1 unisave)
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:59 pm

My problem with cot kensai is that I think barbarian kensai is just better.

Barbarian does more damage, rage is more available than divine wrath, and saves are functionally comparable because kensai can use potions. Freedom saves you from a lot, a clarity covers more, and your fort will be respectable as is. Also, the extra feats are sort of superfluous.
Intelligence is too important

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:43 am

Zavandar wrote:My problem with cot kensai is that I think barbarian kensai is just better.

Barbarian does more damage, rage is more available than divine wrath, and saves are functionally comparable because kensai can use potions. Freedom saves you from a lot, a clarity covers more, and your fort will be respectable as is. Also, the extra feats are sort of superfluous.
20 barbarian 10 pdk kensai was my initial idea when I first looked at the update as the synergy is incredible between the classes, namely Vanguard. but if we compare the barbarian build when it's raging to the CoT build when divine wrath is off, saves are about the same, the barbarian has 2 more ab, the barbarian has about 10 more damage (the cot builds gets epic spec, the barbarian build does not) and 10% di. When the CoT uses divine wrath they still slightly less damage than the barbarian, 5 higher ab and 10/+4 dr (which is arguably better than 10% di unless you eat vicious crits constantly).

Conclusion for kensai fans:
20 barbarian 10 Vanguard - a huge brute theme.
5 fighter, 10 protector, 15 CoT - more of a classic knight all around.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Oshido

Post by Oshido » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:29 pm

I was initially trying to max the benefit of cot divine wrath. 5 more levels 5 more rounds plus better wrath buffs like 2 ab and Dr. the other option was 4 fighter 6 pally 20 cot but I hate how short shield and power Last. Still I think either are almost spell proof. half damage aside.
:evil: