Caster cleric - UMD or Disc (skill dump)

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

telmarael

Caster cleric - UMD or Disc (skill dump)

Post by telmarael » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Good time of the day to everyone,

I've been carrying an idea of creating some evil, or rather highly controversial character to create for a few weeks already (despite playing here for a bit more than a month). As shadow mages weren't re-worked yet, I've put my eye on clerics.

And I've faced a dilemma with this one: as the god I want to follow blocks me out of quite a few classes (or I'll have to take more than one dip class, which will be a huge setback for a caster cleric), I am to decide which of the most usefull skills to sacrifice: discipline or UMD.

Bards are locked out 'cause of alignment, barbarians too. Rogues don't provide disc. CoT isn't viable due to the required weapon spec. Paladins, too, are blocked out, because I don't want to pick a good alignment. Monk levels won't benifit me at all, only -truly- as a pure disc dip. BG is locked behind the skill\feat requirments unreachable for my character.

Actually viable choices left for disc:
1. PDK Valiant. With this one you can partly (but no self-haste...) forego the Travel domain and get the infi haste from the ability, and go for the Trickery domain for invis. The second domain is already booked for the deity :p And I'm afraid that no access to ImpInvis is going to be a huge setback for any activity, unless I get the UMD to get concealment some other way
2. One other dump would be a fighter, a rather self-explanatory choice with a few additional feats.
*forgot to mention the ranger, but a fighter will be better in any aspect

The only logical dump left for UMD is the rogue, no explanation here.

I should also mention that I do plan on PvPing to some extent, due to the characters nature. Although I've not really done it too much in NwN, and never did it here :D I know that I might be actually overthinking it, and should probably shift the concept to find some neutral ground.. Yet, this wouldn't feel so appealing then :s

Addition: about bards. If I could somehow shift my alignment from lawful to take bards levels, then shift it back in place, then this whole thread is pointless. Bards are allowed to be lawful here, after all, but I don't know if the DM will approve such machinations.
- "I would rather not touch this shiny pile of gold", said her conscience
*sounds of explosion*

Griefmaker

Re: Caster cleric - UMD or Disc (skill dump)

Post by Griefmaker » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Bards can be lawful on Arelith! So if you really want discipline and UMD, you can have both.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:18 pm

Addition: about bards. If I could somehow shift my alignment from lawful to take bards levels, then shift it back in place, then this whole thread is pointless. Bards are allowed to be lawful here, after all, but I don't know if the DM will approve such machinations.
It doesn't require an alignment shift--as you yourself say, lawful bards are allowed here! You simply can take bard levels while being lawful.

telmarael

Post by telmarael » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:40 pm

Lorkas wrote:
It doesn't require an alignment shift--as you yourself say, lawful bards are allowed here! You simply can take bard levels while being lawful.
HAH, really?? I thought such things are behind the mechanics if haks are not involved. Then it's not an issues at all. Thanks for a response. Yay, I'll be a happy-dappy animator soon :D
- "I would rather not touch this shiny pile of gold", said her conscience
*sounds of explosion*