Spellsword Build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Terenfel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Spellsword Build

Post by Terenfel » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:59 am

made this spellsword build, anything wrong with it? (made to craft, enchant and use moonblade)

Sun elf (spellsword 26, Fighter 4)
Str 18 (25), dex 12, con 12, int 20, cha 8, wis 8
Level 1 enchanting
Level 3 greater enchanting
Level 4 str +1
Level 5, abjuration
Level 6, greater abjuration
Level 8 str +1
Level 9, weapon focus longsword
Level 10, still spell
Level 12, str +1blind-fight
Level 15, empower, toughness
Level 16, str +1
Level 18, improved crit
Level 20 str +1 Arcane Defense: Abjuration:
Level 21, epic enchanting
Level 23, Epic mage armor
Level 24, auto still 1 +1 str
Level 26, Auto still 2
Level 27 Fighter, Epic weapon focus longsword, Auto still 3
Level 28, Fighter, armored skin +1 str.
Level 30, Fighter Weapon & epic weapon spec longsword.
AC = 10+9+5+20,+1+1+2+3 = 50
Attack bonus +13+4+6+3+13+4 = +40/35/30/25
Damage = 1d8+6+13+11+4= 1d8+34

liver and bones

Re: Spellsword Build

Post by liver and bones » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:11 am

Is there a reason for the feat investments into enchantment? I assume for literally enchanting, but I'm not sure if spellswords benefit off it?

Nevermind. I was thinking epic spells.

Terenfel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Terenfel » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:42 am

Moonblades are runic. epic enchanter will enchant them once at 100% chance.

also the at will blindness/deafness from level 3 is awesome.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:21 am

If anything, i'd swap epic enchantment to the level 30 slot, then when you aren't enchanting, swap it for epic prowess for the +1AB.

If you're an elf and wanting a moonblade at 21, there are other elves with epic enchantment that can help ;)

Terenfel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Terenfel » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:07 am

and take fighter 3 levels earlier so level 30 is wizard? that will reduce diciplin by 3 :/

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:23 am

Terenfel wrote:and take fighter 3 levels earlier so level 30 is wizard? that will reduce diciplin by 3 :/
or take wisard 27 at L30 to enchant your sword/enchant items when you need it and F4 elsewise.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Ending on an odd STR value (25) isn't going to do you much good. You're better off either dropping your starting STR by 1 and putting those points elsewhere, or dipping into DEX to push it up a point. You can use empowered Grace spells/wands to still reliably cap out your dex bonus in breastplate.

Alternatively, you can drop starting INT by 1 and use one of your level-up bonuses for INT instead.

Your melee survivability may be an issue seeing as you've listed very low AC by spellsword standards (50) and no expertise to use in a pinch.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Spaniardl

Post by Spaniardl » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:46 pm

I don't see a problem with having an odd number for str. I mean, just have an odd amount added on your gear... Also, bulls str doens't always max roll when you add that.

I agree that you may want to fit expertise and maybe also improved expertise. They are life savers. I have a str based spellsword and it is extremely helpful

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:13 pm

Spaniardl wrote:I don't see a problem with having an odd number for str. I mean, just have an odd amount added on your gear... Also, bulls str doens't always max roll when you add that.
It's about the maximum potential you have a maximum soft cap of +12 to any stat, with gear and max'd zoo buffs it's easy to hit that limit, so having an odd number means you don't get the full benefit of the stat. (STR 25 goes to strength 37 when buffed, which is no different to strength 36, so you might as well have put that point elsewhere - especially at char-gen where that point could be 2-3 points in another stat)

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:43 pm

Spellswords also have two more enchantable slots (chest and helmet) over most characters because EMA provides both armor and deflect AC. With the aid of metamagic, it's fairly trivial for a Spellsword to hit the +12 cap on two or more stats.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:06 pm

No tumble at all, which will hurt. You can live without UMD.
You may want to change the order of your feats to prioritize combat abilities.
You may want to drop either enchantment or abjuration for martial feats (Knockdown, Expertise).
You may want to switch empower for maximize, so that way you can always get maximized rolls in your animal spells and it becomes easier to fill out gear slots.
You may want to end up with even ability scores.

Generally speaking, the Dex variant of the spellsword build is relatively stronger. If you do not care about strength of build and want to play a muscle wizard, carry on.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Terenfel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Terenfel » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:13 pm

going to get tumble 15.
and going to use fullplate, (greensteel breatplate until auto still 3.)
epic enchanting is a must for the concept.
greater abjuration is a good defense.
is expertise better then toughness?
maybe autostill is not worth the 4 feats and i should just use greensteel all the way? (then i can fit 1 great str in there for even number str)

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:52 pm

You can start with 17 STR and use the extra points in constitution (or raise one of your negative stats)
50 end-game AC is not terribly much - it averages on the low spectrum of "anybody at your own level will hit you".

You may be better off using greensteel armor than investing 4 feats into autostill.
A greensteel medium armor is 4/4, which means that if you start with 12 of dex you only need to put +1 dex in your gear and use a maximized cats to raise your dex to 18, and enjoy the full bonus of your AC.

With the rest of the feats you can invest into Improved Expertise, save feats, ESF, or anything that suits your fancy.

Your AC should be something like...
10 + 20 + 8 + 5 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 52, +10/5 with Expertise

AB is something like...

15 + 3 + 5 + 6 + 14 = 43

I wouldn't worry too much about the damage since spellswords actually hit pretty hard. STR spellswords have a scary output of damage (though a weapon master probably still hits harder).
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!