Help properly building this grandfathered Fav. Soul?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Nemain

Help properly building this grandfathered Fav. Soul?

Post by Nemain » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Hello everyone,

As the title says, I've got an old favoured soul that I'd like some opinions/advice in building from her current state:

Race:Human
Current level: 7
Stats:
STR: 8
DEX: 19
CON: 8
INT: 14
WIS: 8
CHA: 19

Feats: Imp. Expertise, divination and enchantment focus.

Currently, I'd been aiming my build toward 14 fav soul/16 SD with purely supportive spells (including healing circle) and epic shadowlord+epic dodge... Which should land me at 76% concealment on the shadow.

The problem is two-fold: the character's RP is that she's a Selunite, so I'm not sure how well that'll translate into taking SD levels (and growing closer to the plane of shadow, where Shar rules); also, the less caster levels I take, the weaker my heals become: already at a cooldown and without Heal + Mass Heal, I'm not sure the character will be able to remain viable in epic level PvE.

Another splash that feels attractive is harper mage 3, to be able to spam those hastes + cure serious wounds...

Thoughts?

PresidentCthulhu
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Help properly building this grandfathered Fav. Soul?

Post by PresidentCthulhu » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:02 am

Not sure of the Arelith specific lore, but shadowdancers are not necessarily follow Shar in vanilla D&D settings as far as I know. They can be even good aligned.

Directly from the book:
"Shadowdancers were those who used innate ability rather than arcane magic to harness the power of shadow magic. Always existing in the place where light and darkness met, shadowdancers were enigmatic and dangerous. Despite the connotations between darkness and evil, many shadowdancers used their abilities for good. Shadowdancers drew upon the power of the shadows to become a bit like a "super rogue" in that their ability to hide was very potent. As a shadowdancer became more experienced, they could command the shadows to do their bidding."
Your friendly neighborhood eldritch horror

Nemain

Re: Help properly building this grandfathered Fav. Soul?

Post by Nemain » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:00 pm

So it wouldn't be out of proportion for Selune to favor and grant blessings to someone with this innate ability, then?

And, given that I take this route.... Will favored soul 14's cure wounds and circle of healing be good enough to make do as I get higher in level? Or should I gradually switch to thinking of the character as a sneak attacker (when the shadow is out) with some minor healing?