New druid build theorycrafting

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Smelyansky

New druid build theorycrafting

Post by Smelyansky » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:23 pm

With dragonshape supposedly requiring 25 wisdom soon, this leaves a lot of druid builds with a lot more epic feat flexibility. How would you build your druid now? 30 druid? Druid with monk? Still get dragonshape? What would be the best builds for this? Thank you.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: New druid build theorycrafting

Post by Ork » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:33 pm

We don't know what the new Dragonshape will look like, we just know that it won't be as powerful as it once was. Druids can get 26 Wisdom without investing in Great Wisdom, so it does certainly open up feats to Epic Spell Foci and Epic Spells.

Smelyansky

Post by Smelyansky » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Ork wrote:We don't know what the new Dragonshape will look like, we just know that it won't be as powerful as it once was. Druids can get 26 Wisdom without investing in Great Wisdom, so it does certainly open up feats to Epic Spell Foci and Epic Spells.
Sorry for the random question, how long does it usually take to see what the actual changes are after upcoming changes to something have been announced?

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:42 pm

We won't know anything till its done and implemented, usually their will be an announcement just before, or just after the reset implementing it.

Commie

Post by Commie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:48 pm

My take; that nobody wanted a feat beating a level 28 class feature, but since DShape requires many feats, this was remedied by tremendously lowering the feat requirement to something nearly any druid could get, and then the nerf could begin so monolith forms were the best shiftable form.

Edit; What I mean is, don't expect post-nerf DShape to beat monolith elemental shape given its new accessibility, and don't expect monolith form to become better then totem druid with 3-6 monk.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:32 pm

I've played three druids to epic. Neither was a monk-druid and neither had dragon shape.

I really appreciate ActionReplay's work in regards to the class but some of the /spells/ still need work as well. I would hate for Druids to become, basically, "shifters with buffs." Their offensive spells need some love, still, despite AR's great work!

- make Blood Frenzy work similar to (but not exactly like) Divine Power. Battledruids anyone?
- make Barkskin scale with level (so that it is comparable with a cleric's AC at level 30).
- why Druids have access to only one zoo spell (Bull's Strength) baffles me.
- Spike Growth needs its duration lowered to something like 3 rounds/level.
- completely rework how the totem bargain functions. -4 to three critical stats is crippling.
- make Quillfire scale with level
- make Entangle apply its affect immediately rather than on a 1-round delay (by the time it works, mobs and PCs have likely moved out of the AoE.
- give druids immunity to their own stonehold
- change the way Dominate Animal functions for druids with GSF: Enchantment
... etc, etc.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Smelyansky

Post by Smelyansky » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:51 pm

Wytchee wrote:I've played three druids to epic. Neither was a monk-druid and neither had dragon shape.

I really appreciate ActionReplay's work in regards to the class but some of the /spells/ still need work as well. I would hate for Druids to become, basically, "shifters with buffs." Their offensive spells need some love, still, despite AR's great work!

- make Blood Frenzy work similar to (but not exactly like) Divine Power. Battledruids anyone?
- make Barkskin scale with level (so that it is comparable with a cleric's AC at level 30).
- why Druids have access to only one zoo spell (Bull's Strength) baffles me.
- Spike Growth needs its duration lowered to something like 3 rounds/level.
- completely rework how the totem bargain functions. -4 to three critical stats is crippling.
- make Quillfire scale with level
- make Entangle apply its affect immediately rather than on a 1-round delay (by the time it works, mobs and PCs have likely moved out of the AoE.
- give druids immunity to their own stonehold
- change the way Dominate Animal functions for druids with GSF: Enchantment
... etc, etc.
How hard was content for you? Did you get monolithic forms? How were they?

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:06 pm

I have yet to get monolithic forms on Maedathenniel. However, even without them content is a breeze so long as you have Greater Spell Focus in Conjuration.

Elemental Swarm is very, very strong, especially coupled with turn-duration Aura of Vitality.

Smelyansky

Post by Smelyansky » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:09 pm

Wytchee wrote:I have yet to get monolithic forms on Maedathenniel. However, even without them content is a breeze so long as you have Greater Spell Focus in Conjuration.

Elemental Swarm is very, very strong, especially coupled with turn-duration Aura of Vitality.
Yeah my build was going to get epic conjuration and epic transmutation. Is it worth getting epic conjuration? Also, what are the stats of your ele swarm animals? Totem btw?

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Eagle totem, yes.

The stats are equivalent to Elder Elementals (if you have Greater Conjuration) and scale with epic levels. They are mechanically Elder Elementals, but if you have a totem they take on that shape.

Epic conjuration is worth it for -yoink alone.

Smelyansky

Post by Smelyansky » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Wytchee wrote:Eagle totem, yes.

The stats are equivalent to Elder Elementals (if you have Greater Conjuration) and scale with epic levels. They are mechanically Elder Elementals, but if you have a totem they take on that shape.

Epic conjuration is worth it for -yoink alone.
Thank you. I'm currently doing so so on my bear druid/monk
I'm level 12 with 9 druid and 3 monk. Can you tell me how I should gear myself?