DEX vs CON for Casters

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Child of Maragaram

DEX vs CON for Casters

Post by Child of Maragaram » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:05 am

Which is more important to have on an unarmored character who primarily casts spells that require close range during a fight, such as healing spells and buffs: above-average Dexterity or above-average Constitution?

gilescorey

Re: DEX vs CON for Casters

Post by gilescorey » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:45 am

Absolutely CON no contest, pun unintended.

Everything needs CON. If you do not have CON you are not going to have a happy life.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:50 am

Dex is worthless for casters 99% of the time.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Commie

Post by Commie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:58 am

You can buff before fights and any healing spells you prepare (shy of the few AoE heals) are simply not worth using; if you're a wisdom class your heal kits are just going to out-preform nearly every non aoe heal spell there is and you can do it 2x a round with no provoking attacks of opportunity.

you can't really go wrong with

16 base con
18 base casting attribute (or 17 if you don't want to take a 'great stat' feat in epic)

gift both.

feel free to let us know what kind of build you want there are a ton of buildmeisters here that will help you make the exact kind of build you want.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:32 am

Hunter548 wrote:Dex is worthless for casters 99% of the time.
This.

DEX is useful during low levels, if you find yourself using a ranged weapon (i.e. you don't have a useful gsf spell). It quickly becomes obsolete, though.

Alantar
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Alantar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:25 am

I agree CON is more important, but don't forget the Initiative roll, related to DEX, which can save your life in certain situations.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Alantar wrote:I agree CON is more important, but don't forget the Initiative roll, related to DEX, which can save your life in certain situations.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

The initiative roll really means nothing in NWN. If two character just happen to click on eachother at the same time, then the one with initiative gets the first flurry, which shouldn't matter... if you lose a battle in the first flurry, you didn't have a chance to begin with.

However, 99% of the time the first flurry is going to go to who clicks first, regardless of initiative rolls. Such is life.

con>>dex. Your AC is probably going to suck regardless, and beyond the first few levels ranged weapons will become useless. However, with only 4HP/level base, you're going to need all the HP you can get. Con should be your #2 after your casting ability.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:45 pm

Iniative only kind of matters in melee/ranged, and even then it just means you attack half a second before the opponent. It's not important enough to ever justify boosting initiative for the sake of boosting initiative.
:)

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:21 am

If you want to fully optimize a wizard, you're probably looking at something like 18 INT, 17 CON (pre-gifts) for starters. Gift to 20 INT/19 CON, put 1 point into CON as you level and the rest into INT. This nets you 26 INT/20 CON base by level 30.

Mind, this leaves you with 8's in virtually everything else, so it's a pretty min/maxy approach that doesn't really suit every character.

Commie

Post by Commie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:11 am

Peppermint wrote:If you want to fully optimize a wizard, you're probably looking at something like 18 INT, 17 CON (pre-gifts) for starters. Gift to 20 INT/19 CON, put 1 point into CON as you level and the rest into INT. This nets you 26 INT/20 CON base by level 30.

Mind, this leaves you with 8's in virtually everything else, so it's a pretty min/maxy approach that doesn't really suit every character.
To this I say, enjoy having 30lbs of carry weight!

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:09 am

You'll have 110, which is plenty for a character that doesn't wear armor/wield weapons. And that's assuming you don't put your spare point into STR, which you very well could.