Rebuilding Old Characters

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Baron Saturday

Rebuilding Old Characters

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:47 am

There's been a lot of mechanical changes lately, so just for fun, dig out your favorite (rolled) character and tell me how you'd have built them differently if you were making them now!

I'll start the ball rolling with Sara Lyonall, who was 24 levels into a build that would have ended as 20 fighter/6 monk/4 rogue. For starters, her stats would get a shuffling! Sara had:
STR: 14+2 gift
DEX: 16+2 gift
CON: 10
INT: 14
WIS: 12
CHA: 10
Because she was initially slated as a 20/7/3 WM build with 3 levels in monk and overwhelming crit, her strength was pretty up there - also took +1 Str at 4 and 8 before I revamped the build.

If I were to build Sara now, her level spread and stats would look more like...
Ranger 23/Monk 4/Rogue 3
STR: 14
DEX: 16+2 gift
CON: 10
WIS: 12+2 gift
INT: 14
CHA: 10
Ranger over fighter to take advantage of being able to cast blade thirst on any weapon, ranger 23 specifically for bane of enemies (favored enemies would, of course, be fey, outsiders, humans and elves) and henchmen animal companions. Low damage largely made up for by number of attacks (and low damage is less relevant against warlocks now, as they no longer get 19/- DR). GSF: Abjuration and arcane defense would be pre-epic picks. Gearing would be Dex/Wis, as before, aiming for a very high touch AC. Low HP would be offset by 4 vamp regen + 9 APR. Losing 8-10 damage (lower strength, no weapon spec) hurts, but being able to have a keen blade thirst staff takes some of the sting off.

Major weakness would be artifact-geared weapon masters to the back. ;)

Main update to prompt this change: Ability to cast blade thirst on anything.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

3d6InOrder

Re: Rebuilding Old Characters

Post by 3d6InOrder » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:20 am

So I've been thinking about my longest lived character quite a lot recently, who was Phineas Mortifer, a largely incompetent rogue. He had two incarnations, one in 2010 and one late 2011-12.

The first incarnation was as a pure rogue. Which was ambitious as a build at a time when there were no decent items available to mundanes and clerics ruled the meta. If I rebuilt him now he would most likely go the Dex WM route or the 13 SD / 6 Fighter / 11 Rogue route. So he could actually do *something*.

His second incarnation was pure masochism on my part - 1-3 Rogue, 4-16 Mage and 17 Rogue (that's as far as I got unsurprisingly). The idea behind this build was to have a 25 Mage / 5 Rogue build that had all the rogue skills, could dual wield passably (overcoming the APR problem...) and had decent utility / death spells. It suffered from a lack of level appropriate summons and Conjuration Focus. And from just being a terrible idea mechanically.

Rebuilding him now I'd be tempted to play him either as a Spellsword, with roguish RP, or a Fiendlock, again with Roguish RP and skills, to explain where he's been all these years (languishing as a regular in the Cloven Hoof I reckon).

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:14 am

Sinithra Auvry'ndal

She was designed to be a spellsword, and initially had a janky ranger/wiz/assassin build to give her stealth, armor, and self buffing capabilities. Her assassin levels were later replaced with CoT levels because of the hard right turn the character's personality and goals took due to IC events.

She was built before the spellsword path was a thing.

The new spellsword path does everything she was meant to do, but better. If I were to rebuild her now, It would be as a spellsword wizard, all 30 levels.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Ambigue

Post by Ambigue » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:29 am

If I could do it all over again, Real d'Angeles would have just stayed level 2 forever.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:44 am

Scimitar instead of rapier

Astral

Post by Astral » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:50 am

gilescorey wrote:Scimitar instead of rapier
bard instead of rogue.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:19 am

Astral wrote:bard instead of rogue.
the words "bard instead of rogue" deserve to be as far away as possible from the words "scimitar instead of rapier."

you just emasculated my post

recant now!

Astral

Post by Astral » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:29 pm

gilescorey wrote:
the words "bard instead of rogue" deserve to be as far away as possible from the words "scimitar instead of rapier."

recant now!
Meh. only thing I'd change in my WM is that I'd change the rogue dip to bard and take taunt and sc. Already using scimitar :P That's all I meant.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:58 pm

The only character that I got high enough to roll was Ma'stana, and she was a mess. She was initially interested dead to be a conniving, sneaky priestess of Lolth but I didn't have a clear plan for how to approach that. Her build was weird and I took rogue levels early which ended up being a mistake because in the temple you attain rank based on what spells you can cast.

If I had it to do over I would probably build her with a more standard Battlecleric build focusing on Katana for the weapon. Probably would take SF's in Conjuration for those beefy summons.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Astral wrote:Meh. only thing I'd change in my WM is that I'd change the rogue dip to bard and take taunt and sc. Already using scimitar :P That's all I meant.
you know how when you get a cut

and then somebody just starts squeezing lemon juice over your cut?

BASICALLY the same thing here that you're doing to me

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:27 pm

gilescorey wrote:
Astral wrote:Meh. only thing I'd change in my WM is that I'd change the rogue dip to bard and take taunt and sc. Already using scimitar :P That's all I meant.
you know how when you get a cut

and then somebody just starts squeezing lemon juice over your cut?

BASICALLY the same thing here that you're doing to me
You guys. You're killing me. My imagination is shriveling up and making little dry coughing noises just from reading your posts.

MUH IMAJUHNASHUN GUYZ
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:17 pm

gilescorey wrote:

recant now!
:^[

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:20 pm

I would remake Abidan to be a 20/7/3. Could probably remake Caldus as a 20/7/3. And Koth as a 20/7/3. And Leo as a 20/7/3. All with rapier and bard, just to spite CJ.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:08 pm

For my Arcane archer, swapping Fighter for Shadow dancer. 6 extra damage is nice, but tumble and HIPS would definitely be a whole lot better.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:28 pm

I am tempted to remake my character occasionally, than I remember how I'll lose my gifts on my drow and just give up that idea.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:42 pm

Jack Oat wrote:All with rapier and bard, just to spite CJ.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO