Pure druid vs druid monk?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Smelyansky

Pure druid vs druid monk?

Post by Smelyansky » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Hey all. Druid player here. I have a totem druid(bear) and I'm having a blast on him. I'm only level 7 atm with 4 druid 3 monk, I am planning to go 26 druid 4 monk in the end. Would this be better then just a level 30 druid or no? Because I know that I won't get the monolithic forms. Would this be better or worse? Thank you.

SwampFoot

Re: Pure druid vs druid monk?

Post by SwampFoot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:43 pm

Watching a pure 30 Druid Bear Totem at work on the server, I'd say you don't even need monk to be viable. In totem form AC was said to be in the 50s, hp is in barbarian range. In monolithic fire elemental shape this character had 900 hp (with an extended Aura of Vitality).

With Conjuration focuses your summons will be beastly. And Elemental Swarm is frighteningly effective.

Commie

Post by Commie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:09 am

With the monk levels, you get more unarmed (claw) damage, discipline, tumble ac, and wisdom ac. Additionally you can take six monk and get knockdown and improved knockdown for free, as well as more movespeed and AC.

You give up monolithic forms, but you gain like 15 ac or more, 15 or so more disc, and if you go six monk you gain a ton of saves (take four monk pre epic, and I think you net two will/fort and four reflex over straight druid) and two feats (because kd/ikd are beast on any melee build).

You also uncap your movespeed with monk, so your haste movespeed is faster then any non monks movespeed.

Not to mention flurry attacks and just more damage on your bear claws due to mono progression.

I really think it's just better.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:53 am

while i cant comment on build strength, watching a swarm of bears tear through the hells and mauling to death countless devils like they're nothing has to be one of the funniest thing ive ever seen in this game.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

hoshi

Post by hoshi » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:12 am

Keep in mind that dragon shape has been stated to be on the slate for rework so I wouldn't build specifically with the idea that "oh I'll just take dragon shape and be awesome".

On the idea of exactly 26 druid, 4 monk, you'd want to take those 4 monk levels in your epic levels as 17 druid/3 monk would leave you short 1 BAB on something that's already not the best with BAB. As someone else said if instead you did 24 druid/6 monk with the last 2 monk levels in epic you wouldn't be shorted a BAB and have improved KD for free.

The pure druid's place to shine is being harder to dispel, having a better companion, and stronger scaled buffs.

Others have covered the monk's many pluses.

As far as leveling up, from my experience they're about the same speed though they will have different points which they find faster/slower.

If you're looking to primarily fight in totem form you're looking at a clear winner for monk, no contest.

As an elemental form comparison I'll assume the monk has +16 wis to AC (assuming 30 wis before buffs), +1 from monk level, +3 tumble (class versus CC) = +20 over druid.

Air (hasted elder[pot/spell/wand] versus monolith [perma hasted]): monk has 6 attacks (no flurry, haste attack) but their highest is -7 a druid's start of 4 attacks, +12 AC(only +8 if not hasted), and +8 discipline (size)

Earth: -6 AB, +14 AC, and +4 discipline (size, though less important as both are KD immune)

Water: -3 AB and +13 AC difference

Fire: -5 AB and +15 AC difference