Development Timeline for Class Mechanics

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Seven Sons of Sin

Development Timeline for Class Mechanics

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:23 pm

GENERAL PURPOSE:
To provide some knowledge of pipelines/timelines for character class mechanics, and other mechanics that would directly affect a character's build composition. This is to allow for players to brace for impact, or augment their builds to ensure that they might not be "crippled" by new changes. It will also allow for players to plan for new characters, where previous mechanics might have prevented such.

DISCLAIMERS:
Scurvy Cur wrote:It's worth noting, as well, that the changes have a broad range of authors. In some cases, like with spellswords, barbarians, and rangers, the people spearheading the design are actively monitoring the classes as changes go in, and providing immediate feedback, bug fixes, and tweaks as needed, so it's likely that you see a lot of changes very quickly, and that the class will settle out in a close-to-final state quickly.

This isn't the case for all classes, however, and so you are likely to see slower rebalancing in some cases than in others, either because of a lack of consensus on what needs to be fixed, or just a primary author that's too busy to go back and re-evaluate the implementation right away.
DM GrumpyCat wrote:Just as a point of thought guys...

Please do not take what is below as Set In Stone and an Absolute Promise.

These things are being worked on yes, but Real Life Happens, and also the changes have to be checked by the Admin team.

All I'm saying, is that whilst I think it's nice to have an idea of what's being worked on - please, please, don't take this as any sort of promise or guarantee of schedual.
INFORMATION:
Contributor: Cortex,
- Dragon Shape changes (rework)
- Purple Dragon Knight (semi-work)

- Maybe rogues? [on hold, as of October 27th]
- Delay on paladin changes (buffs)

Contributor: miesny_jez,
[in order from highest to lowest priority]
- Shadow Mage changes - Balancing, Features addition, fixing Shadowmage+SD interaction
- Project_Image rework
- Rework of sacrificial system
- Golem system rework
- Invisibility bug fixing
- Ad-hoc Bug fixing

Contributor: Kirito,
- Spellsword bug fixes (because the bugs seem to be flipping cockroaches...)
- Rework of AB Bonus for Tenser's Transformation/Divine Power/Spellsword
- Ranger buffs that wont wont change how the class behaves
- Maybe archers?

UPDATES:
Paladin changes - 1 October 2017 changes.
PDK changes - 19 October 2017 changes.
Dragonshape changes - 24 October 2017 changes.
Last edited by Seven Sons of Sin on Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Borin Drakkmurl

Re: Development Timeline for Class Mechanics

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:32 pm

Daedin wrote:
I once had a myon elf that was focused heavily on the forest. I deleted him. Two months later, the forest got a huge and awesome update.

I had an archer ranger wild elf heavily focused on stealth. I deleted him. Months later, the ranger-arcane archer update was put in, as well as sd changes.

I had a parry based character that, without surprise, was gimped because of it. Now parry is a lot better.

Loved playing orogs. Decided to not do it anymore. Now they have been greatly improved.

I rolled my wandering ranger that wore nothing but different varieties of leather armor.

DM Noxt wrote:
Added a craftable leather armor for Rangers

Have you not noticed the pattern yet, Seven?

Just wait for me to roll my current character.
Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:35 pm

I can't speak for other contributors, but I've my eyes on the following, in order:

Paladin (buffs that won't change how the class works), probably this week still.
Dragonshape (rework) or PDK(semi-rework).
Maybe rogues?
:)

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:05 pm

I'd be more than happy to consolidate and organize any information given and put it in the General Reference thread!
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:06 pm

Cortex wrote: Maybe rogues?

This makes me very happy. We could really use a trap kit so we can easily store our traps and a poison container to store poisons.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:06 pm

Hmm.. this is quite a good idea I think to disclose this. So that players could get a feeling on what is being focused on.

My current work focus in order is:
1) Shadow Mage changes - Balancing, Features addition, fixing Shadowmage+SD interaction
2) Project_Image rework
3) Rework of sacrificial system
4) Golem system rework
5) Ad-hoc Bug fixing

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Just as a point of thought guys...

Please do not take what is said above as Set In Stone and an Absolute Promise.

These things are being worked on yes, but Real Life Happens, and also the changes have to be checked by the Admin team.

All I'm saying, is that whilst I think it's nice to have an idea of what's being worked on - please, please, don't take this as any sort of promise or guarantee of schedual.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Pavor Nocturnus

Post by Pavor Nocturnus » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Cortex wrote:Maybe rogues?
I would definitely say assassins, rather than rogues.
here
here
up here kane
Kane
up here
Kane morris

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:12 pm

Spellsword bug fixes (because the bugs seem to be flipping cockroaches...)
Rework of AB Bonus for Tenser's Transformation/Divine Power/Spellsword
Ranger buffs that wont wont change how the class behaves
?Maybe archers?

(However work looks like it's going to require me to clone myself soon... so things may go quieter)

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:34 pm

It's worth noting, as well, that the changes have a broad range of authors. In some cases, like with spellswords, barbarians, and rangers, the people spearheading the design are actively monitoring the classes as changes go in, and providing immediate feedback, bug fixes, and tweaks as needed, so it's likely that you see a lot of changes very quickly, and that the class will settle out in a close-to-final state quickly.

This isn't the case for all classes, however, and so you are likely to see slower rebalancing in some cases than in others, either because of a lack of consensus on what needs to be fixed, or just a primary author that's too busy to go back and re-evaluate the implementation right away.

Voidstone Roulette

Post by Voidstone Roulette » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Kirito wrote:Spellsword bug fixes (because the bugs seem to be flipping cockroaches...)
?Maybe archers?

(However work looks like it's going to require me to clone myself soon... so things may go quieter)
Don't you dare touch my DIvine Power. It's fine.

Leave Battle Clerics alone.
0 Bonus: Does not stay in character, rushes around from spawn to spawn killing things with little to no interaction.

theCountofMonteCristo
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Voidstone Roulette wrote:
Kirito wrote:Spellsword bug fixes (because the bugs seem to be flipping cockroaches...)
?Maybe archers?

I don't think this should be a place to argue x change or y. I don't think this is an appropriate place to plead your case for y change, or to voice disagreement with staff choices.

That's what the suggestion box is for, and the Feedback forum.

Please please please can we keep this thread from devolving into these things, and let it simply be a place where we (as players) can get insight into things in the works that can have massive impacts upon characters we play?

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:02 pm

?Maybe archers?

I think his point is more changing/nerfing how it works with spellsword characters and divine power?
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Voidstone Roulette

Post by Voidstone Roulette » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:05 pm

theCountofMonteCristo wrote:
?Maybe archers?

I don't think this should be a place to argue x change or y. I don't think this is an appropriate place to plead your case for y change, or to voice disagreement with staff choices.

That's what the suggestion box is for, and the Feedback forum.

Please please please can we keep this thread from devolving into these things, and let it simply be a place where we (as players) can get insight into things in the works that can have massive impacts upon characters we play?
Don't try to moderate my knee jerk reactions.
Hunter548 wrote:
?Maybe archers?

I think his point is more changing/nerfing how it works with spellsword characters and divine power?

Oh, that is fine then.
0 Bonus: Does not stay in character, rushes around from spawn to spawn killing things with little to no interaction.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:36 pm

I don't want this to devolve into a discussion about mechanics. This is a discussion about how we should best communicate upcoming changes to mechanics.
Previous:

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:38 pm

It's how the two interact with each other and with spellswords. If you are a pure (pre epic) cleric and only use divine power. You will notice nothing. Actual? I think divine power is actually coded up right and whatever build your cleric Is, if you only use divine power you still won't see any change...

But Yes, off topic;)

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:40 pm

Scurvy Cur wrote:It's worth noting, as well, that the changes have a broad range of authors. In some cases, like with spellswords, barbarians, and rangers, the people spearheading the design are actively monitoring the classes as changes go in, and providing immediate feedback, bug fixes, and tweaks as needed, so it's likely that you see a lot of changes very quickly, and that the class will settle out in a close-to-final state quickly.

That's great contextual information. I'll add that in!
Previous:

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:09 pm

If this is something people actually wanna do, maybe it should be a locked and stickied thread in the builds and mechanics subforum that contributors can add to?
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:If this is something people actually wanna do, maybe it should be a locked and stickied thread in the builds and mechanics subforum that contributors can add to?
And edit out all unnecessary posts, too! I'd love to see it happen.

Lorkas, can I bribe you?
Previous:

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:22 pm

Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Cortex wrote: Maybe rogues?

This makes me very happy. We could really use a trap kit so we can easily store our traps and a poison container to store poisons.
The ability to hit things and not die in two hits would also be nice.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:13 am

[desire to know more about rogues intensifies]

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:27 am

Cortex wrote:I can't speak for other contributors, but I've my eyes on the following, in order:
Dragonshape (rework)
As for many of us this took sometimes 4 feats (or more), if this is in anyway a backing off of current standing...grandfathering? (Or relevelling?)

Please oh please?....I'm not sure how many relevel projects I have left in me...
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Delay on paladin stuff.

On other news, dragon shape work has begun.
:)

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:45 pm

Wait wait wait, I just cut out the paladin part of your quote to talk about MY immediate concern! I didn't mean to....
mrhmm.
Well that back-fired.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:53 am

I think it would be actually better to have this thread deleted and redone to something rather akin to this:

[Development Thread]
(General info of this thread, for information purposes only)
[Contributor A post]
Works on:
A
B
C
[Contributor B post]
Works on:
A
B
C

Thread Locked.

Devs allowed to Edit their posts to update status on what they work on.

This way we would have an informational thread ready for immediate glance and information for the players, while the discussions would still be continued in Feedback/Suggestions. Otherwise we risk this thread will blow up into 20 pages long.. obscuring any actual information

Moderator thoughts?