Goblin Cleric

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

PUNCHDOG

Goblin Cleric

Post by PUNCHDOG » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:56 pm

I'm looking at making a Oogooboogoo goblin cleric. I've never played one before, so any tips/tricks for how to be effective would be appreciated. Likewise, RP tips for playing a cleric/goblin would be appreciated.

I've had my eye on playing healer, given that kits/raises may be getting a bit more rare; however, if that path is gimped, I'd entertain non-healer options. Either way, I don't suppose a small character would be a very good battle-cleric... so it's probably best to play the support role. I assume the meta is still something like 27Cleric/3Monk? or 24Cleric/3Monk/3Rogue? It seems a shame to miss out on the capstone ability, but the AC from monk would be too good to miss out on. Likewise, if anyone has any experience actually using -respite, I'd be interested in hearing how useful it is.

I've heard a number of mixed opinions on what domains to choose: trickery seems both thematic and good for imp inv; travel for haste/freedom, knowledge for some gobliny utility, plant for barkskin potion $$$, magic for stoneskin/mage armor, and healing for more healz. What would work best for a healer build?

Stats/skills/feats would also be appreciated. I guess the bottom line is, build me from the ground up! :3

Thanks!

High Primate

Re: Goblin Cleric

Post by High Primate » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:31 pm

PUNCHDOG wrote:I'm looking at making a Oogooboogoo goblin cleric. I've never played one before, so any tips/tricks for how to be effective would be appreciated.
There are two kinds: caster cleric and battlecleric. Battleclerics depend on strength, and you're a goblin, so I'd go caster. This plays more like a mage. You get more spells, higher spell DCs. The level thread is 27 cleric/3 Bard. Make wisdom your primary stat with constitution your secondary Put all 8 points into wisdom, and put all gear into wisdom and con. I would go for epic spell focus in conjuration and take Dragon Knight; you will also want extend spell.
Likewise, RP tips for playing a cleric/goblin would be appreciated.
End everything you say with Z and emote picking your butt.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

PUNCHDOG

Post by PUNCHDOG » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:56 am

High Primate wrote:27 cleric/3 Bard.
Why bard>rogue? So that I can scroll/potion bard lvl 1 spells? Would I still be able to do that if I dumped charisma and had zero casts?

Ambigue

Post by Ambigue » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:00 am

PUNCHDOG wrote:
High Primate wrote:27 cleric/3 Bard.
Why bard>rogue? So that I can scroll/potion bard lvl 1 spells? Would I still be able to do that if I dumped charisma and had zero casts?

Bard has discipline. Rogue does not.

Since you need discipline, UMD, and tumble to succeed in the finely-tuned dog-eat-dog murderworld that is Arelith, almost every 'viable' build takes 3 levels of bard. Or 3 levels of rogue if discipline can be provided by another class in the build.