Seeking best healer cleric build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Feanicks

Seeking best healer cleric build

Post by Feanicks » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:07 pm

Looking for the best build for a full healing cleric, with the healing path etc.

Commie

Re: Seeking best healer cleric build

Post by Commie » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:32 pm

3 monk is a real boon. You cant use armor as a healer, and do need a ton of wisdom, so you get an enormous benefit from monk 3.

Healer, as it can't use armor, needs a lot of dex. I'd recommend one of your domains be War, so you can use aura of vitality (lasts a long time with epic transmutation focus) and cats grace, giving you and your summons a lot of extra AC.

Other good domain choices are Trickery (imp invis is one of the best spells available) or travel for haste. Plant for barkskin is also good. Healing is also fitting for your character.

This is what I would do. I'm far from some build master but it's what I'd go with.

---

Class Race Cleric(24), Monk(3), Bard(3)
Wis and Dex gifts, Lawful Alignment

Abilies
STR: 9
DEX: 16
CON: 12
WIS: 19 (26)
INT: 14
CHA: 8

30 Wis and Dex gifts: (Quick to Master)
Cl 01: Cleric(1): Spell Focus: Conjuration, Greater Spell Focus: Conjuration, Domain War, Domain Healing
Cl 02: Cleric(2)
Cl 03: Cleric(3): Extend Spell
Cl 04: Cleric(4): WIS+1, (WIS=20)
Cl 05: Cleric(5)
Cl 06: Cleric(6): Maximize Spell
Cl 07: Cleric(7)
Cl 08: Cleric(8): WIS+1, (WIS=21)
Cl 09: Cleric(9): Spell Focus: Transmutation
Cl 10: Cleric(10)
Cl 11: Cleric(11)
Cl 12: Cleric(12): WIS+1, Greater Spell Focus: Transmutation, (WIS=22)
Cl 13: Cleric(13)
Cl 14: Cleric(14)
Cl 15: Cleric(15): Empower Spell
Cl 16: Cleric(16): WIS+1, (WIS=23)
Cl 17: Cleric(17)
Cl 18: Cleric(18): Scribe Scroll (freebie feat I just put scribe scroll here so you can make some money, use craft wand or toughness or whatever you want)
Cl 19: Cleric(19)
Cl 20: Cleric(20): WIS+1, (WIS=24)
Cl 21: Cleric(21): Epic Spell Focus: Transmutation
Cl 22: Cleric(22)
Cl 23: Cleric(23): Epic Spell Focus: Conjuration
Cl 24: Cleric(24): WIS+1, Epic Spell: Dragon Knight, (WIS=25)
M 25: Monk(1): WIS+1, {Cleave, Evasion, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist}, (WIS=26),
M 26: Monk(2): {Deflect Arrows}
M 27: Monk(3): Armor Skin
Ba 28: Bard(1)
Ba 29: Bard(2)
Ba 30: Bard(3): Epic Skill Focus: Discipline

Statistic Hitpoints: 264
Skillpoints: 177
Saving Throws (Fortitude/Will/Reflex): 18/25/14
Saving Throw bonuses: Spells: +6, Mind Effects: +2
BAB: 20
AB (max, naked): 19 (melee), 23 (ranged)
AC (naked/mundane armor/shield only): 29/30
Spell Casting: Cleric(9)
Alignment Changes: 1

Skills Concentration 30(31), Discipline 33(42), Spellcraft 30(32), Tumble 30(33), UMD 29(28), remaining skillpoints 25
---

Since you're healing I used healing domain, you can empower healing circle, which gets auto-empowered via your domain, so you double empower it, and it's really fun for a healer.

But personally I'd do war/trickery, imp invis is stellar, and +4 to all physicals for everyone near you is worth more, to me personally, then a heal 'gimmick.'

edit; i didn't fully min-max your skill points so you get a few more then i listed. don't ever cross-class any skill points when you make this character just bank 100's of points if you need to.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:28 am

I often avoid criticizing builds on forums, but there are things here that should be noted:

1) The AC you get from a few points in DEX and wasting a domain slot is neglectable. You would benefit much more from some meme CHA cleric with protection domain to stay hidden in your ultra sanctuary. WIS/CON or CHA focus with 19-20 WIS prot domain would both offer much better results in survivability with the HP or sanctuary. Even then you have Greater Sanctuary to fall back with.

2) Clerics have no noteworthy transmutations spells, making transmutation focuses largely irrelevant.

3) You don't get +1 WIS at 25.

4) Taking two dip classes so similar to one another is wasteful, either monk for the AC, or bard for the UMD.

5) UMD at 28ish shouldn't be necessary, 15-20 is quite enough for a good UMD arsenal, anything more you need UMD in the range of 35 for racial/class/etc items, so you'd need to waste item power in UMD to make use of them. They also tend to not be enough to warrant the large skill point investment for a healer cleric.
:)

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:44 am

Wisdom-based, full 30 healer cleric.

I just want to see -respite in use. Just once.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Astral

Post by Astral » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:58 am

27 cleric 3 monk and nothing else matters.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Commie

Post by Commie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:38 am

Cortex wrote:I often avoid criticizing builds on forums, but there are things here that should be noted:

1) The AC you get from a few points in DEX and wasting a domain slot is neglectable. You would benefit much more from some meme CHA cleric with protection domain to stay hidden in your ultra sanctuary. WIS/CON or CHA focus with 19-20 WIS prot domain would both offer much better results in survivability with the HP or sanctuary. Even then you have Greater Sanctuary to fall back with.

2) Clerics have no noteworthy transmutations spells, making transmutation focuses largely irrelevant.

3) You don't get +1 WIS at 25.

4) Taking two dip classes so similar to one another is wasteful, either monk for the AC, or bard for the UMD.

5) UMD at 28ish shouldn't be necessary, 15-20 is quite enough for a good UMD arsenal, anything more you need UMD in the range of 35 for racial/class/etc items, so you'd need to waste item power in UMD to make use of them. They also tend to not be enough to warrant the large skill point investment for a healer cleric.
yeah you're right. dropping bard's a better decision, but I just keep hearing people say that UMD 30+ is a requirement for any real build.

i had transmutation in there as it turns aura of vit to turns/level, and i believe a caster cleric is just best served with group-focused buffs, which aura of vit/cats grace gets you with war domain.

wis 1 should be at 28 I just Snuggle a Bugbear up copy/paste.

oh well. i tried.