Barbarian Kensai/PDK - True Protector - Viable?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

liver and bones

Barbarian Kensai/PDK - True Protector - Viable?

Post by liver and bones » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:45 pm

With the somewhat recent changes, it sounds as if kensais are significantly more viable given their ability to use potions.

1. Is it possible to take PDK as a kensai? The Wiki makes it sound like only the base class needs to be barb, fighter, monk, or rogue.
2. Going barb kensai + PDK protector utilizing the barb's shield and the PDK's rallying cry to aggro and final stand to heal. All in all it sounds great on paper, but how viable is it?

I'm frankly awful at advanced builds. If this does sound possible and viable, does anyone have a suggested build?

Lorkas

Re: Barbarian Kensai/PDK - True Protector - Viable?

Post by Lorkas » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:04 am

There aren't any kensai restrictions on PrCs, and kensai doesn't interfere with class abilities. It should be fine.

PDK is on the list for revision though, so I wouldn't recommend planning a build around it unless you do so knowing it's going to change in some as-yet unknown way that's out of your control.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:38 am

I assumed as much. Just the amount of theorycrafting around it makes it sound ridiculous, especially if you have a friend who plays with you.

Hoping the rally cry ability stays to at least some extent.

rookie

Post by rookie » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:58 am

Keep in mind that Rallying Cry does not force them to keep attacking you, just flip to you until their AI wants them to do something else. I don't know if this is how it is supposed to work, but it is how it works when my PDK uses it. It is basically an AoE taunt if you think of many MMOs as opposed to a lasting mind control effect.

So if you have a true flame spamming firebrand they'll be flipping back to smack him in-between Rallying Cry uses.

It will certainly work, and if you're planning a character to play for a month or two I'd recommend it. If you're planning to make a character that only blossoms at level 30 and stays there for 6+ months it might not be the best idea though may still not be terrible depending upon how it is changed.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:18 pm

rookie wrote:Keep in mind that Rallying Cry does not force them to keep attacking you, just flip to you until their AI wants them to do something else. I don't know if this is how it is supposed to work, but it is how it works when my PDK uses it. It is basically an AoE taunt if you think of many MMOs as opposed to a lasting mind control effect.

So if you have a true flame spamming firebrand they'll be flipping back to smack him in-between Rallying Cry uses.

It will certainly work, and if you're planning a character to play for a month or two I'd recommend it. If you're planning to make a character that only blossoms at level 30 and stays there for 6+ months it might not be the best idea though may still not be terrible depending upon how it is changed.
How spammable is rallying cry? And is it considered an attack, or does it function like expertise where it can be used once at the start of a round?