Imp. Crit or Imp. Knockdown?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

liver and bones

Imp. Crit or Imp. Knockdown?

Post by liver and bones » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:23 am

Currently I've set my build up to where I'm forced to pick between the two. I'm a new player, so I'm not totally sure what's more viable. From what I've seen so far of the server, I'm inclined to say imp. crit?

Mind you I'm going imp. crit for dwarven waraxe, if I go that feat.

Cybernet21

Re: Imp. Crit or Imp. Knockdown?

Post by Cybernet21 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:46 am

liver and bones wrote:Currently I've set my build up to where I'm forced to pick between the two. I'm a new player, so I'm not totally sure what's more viable. From what I've seen so far of the server, I'm inclined to say imp. crit?

Mind you I'm going imp. crit for dwarven waraxe, if I go that feat.
Depends of the build,but if you already have knockdown and don't have any sort of sneak damage(like Blackguard)then imp. critical is a better choice
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:48 am

Improved Knockdown gives only +4 to your roll vs discipline and allows you to KD large creatures (which only really applies in PvE or PvP vs a DSer), it does not give any bonus AB or anything, so it only really benefits people who can really use and abuse that +4, like WMs.

Improved Critical, on the other hand, increases your total damage flat and works against anything not crit-immune.
:)

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:46 am

Improved Critical, hands down. You'll be gimping yourself without it. Not so if you skip IKD.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:38 am

If you're halfling or gnome, I'd suggest ImpKD, since it'd be required to knock down Giants, Ogres, some elementals and many more creatures that are out there.

If you use a Rapier or Scimitar, or are a Weapon Master, and are not Halfling nor Gnome, I strongly suggest ImpCrit

If you have sneak attacks and are not any of the above, I suggest ImpKD.

If you do not fall into any of the above, both work. I'd lean towards ImpCrit if you dual weild, or either if you do not.

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:42 pm

Twily wrote:If you're halfling or gnome, I'd suggest ImpKD, since it'd be required to knock down Giants, Ogres, some elementals and many more creatures that are out there.
If you're a halfling or gnome with a dwarven waraxe, your build is terrible. Your damage output is also more important than being able to knockdown ogres. Take improved crit in any case.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:02 pm

High Primate wrote:
Twily wrote:If you're halfling or gnome, I'd suggest ImpKD, since it'd be required to knock down Giants, Ogres, some elementals and many more creatures that are out there.
If you're a halfling or gnome with a dwarven waraxe, your build is terrible. Your damage output is also more important than being able to knockdown ogres. Take improved crit in any case.
I laughed way harder than I should have!

Thanks for the advice, guys.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:07 pm

A small size race will take hefty penalties to KDing medium sized characters without Improved Knockdown, read: PC races other than halfling/gnome and their subraces, in addition to wild dwarves.