New Spellsword Building Thread

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Lorkas

Re: New Spellsword Building Thread

Post by Lorkas » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:36 am

Parry is really strong at low levels but generally worse than IE at high levels in PvE. It could be useful in certain high level PvP situations.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:00 pm

It is pretty hilarious to snap on parry in response to someone chugging a truestrike potion when you have 80+ ranks in it.

homestuff

Post by homestuff » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:47 pm

... Can. Can.. monks imbue their gloves?

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:52 pm

homestuff wrote:... Can. Can.. monks imbue their gloves?
No
(atleast not yet)

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:31 am

I added an additional STR build to the sample list of Spellsword builds here:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13550&p=112879#p112879

The first STR build has the Spellsword going full Auto-Still I-III and fighting in a full plate and tower shield. The second has the Spellsword going Auto-Still I and fighting in a greensteel breastplate and large shield. Auto-Still I is sufficient to remove the Arcane Spell Failure chance from Greensteel completely.

Disclaimer: The builds above were made so I could see some general numbers on what Spellswords were capable of. It is not a comprehensive list of possibilities, and I don't consider them the height of optimization. They're provided solely as a ready template, or as a reference guide for people seeking a starting point to work from.

As always, feel free to point out errors or ways the builds can be improved.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:25 am

Does anyone know how the DC's (e.g. fort for acid, cold, negative, sonic, fire/reflex for electric) are calculated for each imbuement? My assumption is it's 10 + wizard level.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:14 am

liver and bones wrote:Does anyone know how the DC's (e.g. fort for acid, cold, negative, sonic, fire/reflex for electric) are calculated for each imbuement? My assumption is it's 10 + wizard level.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13555&start=75#p114386
Kirito wrote:Save DC is 10 plus caster level
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Astral

Post by Astral » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:12 am

yellowcateyes wrote:I added an additional STR build to the sample list of Spellsword builds here:
Impossbile build:
1. you cant pick EMA on 20th wizard
2. you'd need auto still 2 to completely ignore the asf on greesteel.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:47 am

Astral wrote:1. you cant pick EMA on 20th wizard
Good catch. Fixed with an added fighter level and some feat shuffling.
Astral wrote:2. you'd need auto still 2 to completely ignore the asf on greesteel.
Dropping the greensteel large shield will allow use of the empty off-hand INT bonus. The AC description has been fixed to note this.

Astral

Post by Astral » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:15 am

yellowcateyes wrote: Fixed with an added fighter level and some feat shuffling.
Nope, your 23rd wizard is actually 22nd and therefore no EMA, again. com'on.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:58 am

Astral wrote:Nope, your 23rd wizard is actually 22nd and therefore no EMA, again. com'on.
The EMA is provided for on a normal feat now. Bard replaces Rogue to still allow for a late discipline dip (and access to Taunt, UMD.)

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:45 am

I am currently using the first strength build my self on a drow problem is I did not know what feat to toss out so I ended up tossing blind fight as I can use ultra vision spell to substitute for that anyway.

But I am honestly wondering the true use of IE yes you get a nice boost to AC but in my eyes it cripples the AB.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:54 am

Blind fight is not replaced by ultravision. You're going to have the full 50% miss chance against anyone with i.invis active, instead of just 25%.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:05 am

Don't drop Blindfight. It's a must-have feat.

Foregoing the Improved version of either Expertise or Knockdown would be a better bet.

Astral

Post by Astral » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:13 am

between the three, improved knockdown is the most expendable.

yellowcateyes wrote: The EMA is provided for on a normal feat now. Bard replaces Rogue to still allow for a late discipline dip (and access to Taunt, UMD.)
These greensteel builds are bs. personal opinion. But they are now legal at least :D

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:42 pm

Can someone then explain to me the value Improved Expertice has when it eats away so much AB.
Concidering this builds AB is not that high to begin with.

I am more tempted to just forgo Improved expertice then improved knockdown to keep blindfight in the build.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:49 pm

Ozzy.nl wrote:Can someone then explain to me the value Improved Expertice has when it eats away so much AB.
Concidering this builds AB is not that high to begin with.

I am more tempted to just forgo Improved expertice then improved knockdown to keep blindfight in the build.
There's not much to explain. It increases AC, and AC is good.

There are so many times when turning it on is the difference between being hit a lot and hardly being hit at all. It is definitely worth a feat slot.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Right that is the good part about it.
But the trade of is that you're AB suffers.

So you wont be hitting when it is on.

Take in account that I am using this build on a Drow and to get the minimal 20 int needed for the EMA I already had to sacrifice some Strenght so my AB is already a bit lower in this build then when I would have gone human.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:09 pm

EMA doesn't require 20 INT, just 25 spellcraft and either epic spellcaster levels, or 15 PM levels.

AC is generally more valuable than AB, especially in the form of IE since you can turn it off/on at will. When you're safe to do a lot of damage, you can leave it off and hit easy, if you run into a mob that hits hard, you turn it on and reduce the damage you take.

Even if you leave it on all the time in PvE, you still end up in a situation where your first, and possibly second attack will have good odds of hitting, while you become considerably tankier in return.
Last edited by Nitro on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:13 pm

Nitro wrote:EMA doesn't require 20 INT, just having the ability to cast 9th level spells and 25 spellcraft and either epic spellcaster levels, or 15 PM levels.
It only needs wiz level 21, not 9th casting ability (you can get it with int 8 if you so feel that way inclined)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:14 pm

You got me with a ninja quote just as I edited my message. Curse you Kirito! ;)

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:18 pm

I always thought you needed 9 circle casting...lol.

Not sure if there is anything in 9th circle having on a spell sword.
Since premonition is on 8th circle.

Perhaps the only miss it timestop and shapechange.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:12 pm

BTW I was wondering what skills would compliment the build obviously tumble diceplines concentration and spellcraft. But would parry add some quality as well?

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:51 pm

Ozzy.nl wrote:BTW I was wondering what skills would compliment the build obviously tumble diceplines concentration and spellcraft. But would parry add some quality as well?
Parry can be fun but has a lot of caveats in it.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:27 pm

Added some wacky WM builds to the list.

Surgeon General's Warning: The addition of Spellsword/WM builds to the list is a thought exercise and not an implicit endorsement. As always, exercise caution and weigh advantages and disadvantages before deciding that a build is right for you.