New Spellsword Building Thread

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Commissar

Re: New Spellsword Building Thread

Post by Commissar » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:48 am

gilescorey wrote:As for dropped schools, if you want the cool vamp-imbues, drop enchantment, if you want group buffing capability with mass haste and protection from spells drop necromancy.
Just a note that imbues still work with prohibited schools. Either that, or I'm bugged. My necromancy-barred spellsword has still been able to imbue weapons using negative energy ray.
May you live in interesting times.
Manticore, on Sun Elves wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure the racism is like a mating ritual or something. Like plumes on birds.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:06 am

Commissar wrote:
gilescorey wrote:As for dropped schools, if you want the cool vamp-imbues, drop enchantment, if you want group buffing capability with mass haste and protection from spells drop necromancy.
Just a note that imbues still work with prohibited schools. Either that, or I'm bugged. My necromancy-barred spellsword has still been able to imbue weapons using negative energy ray.
Really? If I had know this, I'd have been doing since a long time ago...
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:35 am

Commissar wrote:
Are you able to use greater negative spells, like enervation? Because this seems like a bug.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:18 am

Double posting. Sorry about that.

For this build: https://pastebin.com/fNE72423

Why not take epic weapon focus instead of epic weapon spec at 20, then go auto-still spell for lv. 20 and 23 instead of taking the Great INT? Is that progression possible, or have I made a mistake there? If not, that's an easy jump of +6 AC (+4 Addy Full Plate, +2 Addy Tower Shield). Epic weapon spec is negligible with the ability to cast GWM + 2 imbues + 1 perma essence + 1 temp essence.

Commissar

Post by Commissar » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:04 am

Alrighty. Just checked.

Negative energy ray, negative energy burst, and enervation all work to imbue weapons, even on a spellsword that's chosen necromancy as one of their barred schools. Vampiric touch doesn't. I don't have the levels to check any higher circle spells, at present, but it looks like it works.

This may or may not be intended.

I've thrown up a bug report, on the chance it's not.
Manticore, on Sun Elves wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure the racism is like a mating ritual or something. Like plumes on birds.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:05 am

https://pastebin.com/JA43JHP8

For the above build I want a katana for it instead of a rapier.
What would be the best way to do so. RIght now I am playing this build and it's level 4 so I can still go every way.

That said would a katana be better or worse in the long run then a rapier?

Commissar

Post by Commissar » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:15 am

Katana is worse than the rapier. You don't have a whole lot of general feats to spare as a spellsword; and you have to have a spare hand anyway to get your AC bonus (negating the only real versatility you get from katanas - their suitability for dual wielding as tiny weapons [even then, there are better alternatives]).

As it stands, you'll just be using a tiny weapon with a smaller crit range and a slightly higher base damage (which, by the time you get to double imbues isn't really going to count for much anyway - and will likely be eclipsed by those extra crits the rapier will be getting. Particularly since the rapier user will get improved critical, which you won't have space for if you're taking the exotic proficiency for katanas.). This'll make you very easy to disarm, if you run across someone who wants to try it. It's really not worth trading away a feat for, mechanically.

However.

None of those things make the build unplayable. You can do it. If I were to, I'd be inclined to take your exotic proficiency at level 6 and shuffle all your general feats up to the next available slot. You'll lose out on the choice of feats at level 18, but that's just the way it goes.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 am

One more question.
At level 18 you get [Imp. Knockdown, Craft Wand, Toughness or Imp. Critical] to chose from.

What would be the better option, Craft wand I dont see much use for, toughness adds some HP so that is neat, Imp crit is always good for added dammage from the rapier. And Imp Knockdown, I dont see this build attempting to knowdown dragons.

Commissar

Post by Commissar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:48 am

My pick would be improved critical, for the damage. Health is wonderful, but we're dex based in this build. If life's going well; hopefully we won't be being hit frequently enough for it to be a dealbreaker.

That said, craft wand is a close second. It's always useful for mages; and it's handy for spellswords to have a few wands tucked away so you can change imbues on the fly (that, and knock wands. Those things are a godsend for opening chests). Improved knockdown, I'd leave alone. Our AB isn't high enough that it's likely to let us knock down anything we weren't going to get anyway.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:01 pm

liver and bones wrote:For this build: https://pastebin.com/fNE72423

Why not take epic weapon focus instead of epic weapon spec at 20, then go auto-still spell for lv. 20 and 23 instead of taking the Great INT? Is that progression possible, or have I made a mistake there? If not, that's an easy jump of +6 AC (+4 Addy Full Plate, +2 Addy Tower Shield). Epic weapon spec is negligible with the ability to cast GWM + 2 imbues + 1 perma essence + 1 temp essence.
You can drop epic weapon spec and go for Auto-Still that way. But you're overstating the AC gain. You do get +2 from using an Addy Tower shield, but using Full Plate only nets +3. Epic Mage Armor includes armor AC, and in this case an Adamantine Full Plate would net you no more AC than an unenchanted Full Plate. The difference would be breastplate versus full plate.

Note that default build would still get you GMW + 2 imbues + essences, and the +4 from EWS. You are indeed giving up a chunk of on-hit damage.

Also note that you wouldn't be able to cast level 9 spells without at least 1 Great INT on that build. You can use a level-up to bump your INT to 19, but that'll leave you with less AB/dmg from one less STR.

In short, going that road gets you a little more AC, but drops damage. You will also either lose 9th circle spellcasting or AB/dmg. And either way, you'll lose a spell slot or two. It's certainly an option, if you feel that's a good tradeoff.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:26 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:
liver and bones wrote:For this build: https://pastebin.com/fNE72423

You can drop epic weapon spec and go for Auto-Still that way. But you're overstating the AC gain. You do get +2 from using an Addy Tower shield, but using Full Plate only nets +3. Epic Mage Armor includes armor AC, and in this case an Adamantine Full Plate would net you no more AC than an unenchanted Full Plate. The difference would be breastplate versus full plate.

Note that default build would still get you GMW + 2 imbues + essences, and the +4 from EWS. You are indeed giving up a chunk of on-hit damage.

Also note that you wouldn't be able to cast level 9 spells without at least 1 Great INT on that build. You can use a level-up to bump your INT to 19, but that'll leave you with less AB/dmg from one less STR.

In short, going that road gets you a little more AC, but drops damage. You will also either lose 9th circle spellcasting or AB/dmg. And either way, you'll lose a spell slot or two. It's certainly an option, if you feel that's a good tradeoff.
What of taking EWS still, but cutting our armor skin for the last auto still spell? You're still getting an additional +3AC without sacrificing damage, aside from the +1 STR mod you'll give up by changing two STR additions to INT.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:29 pm

If you think it's worth trading 1 AB and 1 dmg on a Spellsword for +3 AC, go for it. The listed builds are only templates/suggestions, so do what you think is the best fit for your character.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:16 am

I haven't seen monk being mentioned, for example as an alternative to rogue in a dex-based, spellsword 23 / fighter 4 / monk 3 build. By dropping UMD, 2d6 sneak attack and a few skill points, you would gain wisdom AC, deflect arrows for offhand (main hand using rapier), still mind and monk speed for use with expeditious retreat stacking and mass haste for super speedy hit and run tactics.

If you wanted to go even crazier MAD, you could take Harper Paragon as well instead of fighter (spellsword 22 / HP 5 / monk 3), substituting weapon specialization for divine grace, might and shield, which you don't even need 13+ strength to take as they come free, stats looking something like this: 8/16/14/16/14/14 (with gifts). As a minor benefit, monk with wisdom synergizes with paragon's detect evil.

Instead of having bonus damage all day long, you'd get bonus saves all day long along with burst damage, AC and overall 30 caster level against dispels (32 if combined with arcane defense). You'd be plenty feat starved though.

Or drop monk and take both paragon and fighter, and/or switch spellsword to bard, as that wouldn't be as MAD. Plenty of choices to be had.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:32 am

Monk is good, I play a 23/4/3 spellsword/monk/fighter (don't ask about why not 23/3/4.
Good a.c. loses a point or two ab due to starting with WiS 14 and build but makes up for it in other ways.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:52 pm

This might be just me but reading over all the build I see a +2 only with GMW, but isn't it suppose to give +5?

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:08 pm

Ozzy.nl wrote:This might be just me but reading over all the build I see a +2 only with GMW, but isn't it suppose to give +5?
The baseline stats are for a +3 weapon. So a GMW is a +2 improvement when it's being used.
Lurch wrote:I haven't seen monk being mentioned, for example as an alternative to rogue in a dex-based, spellsword 23 / fighter 4 / monk 3 build.
Feel free to post builds! The ones listed near the beginning of the thread were some samples/templates for people uncertain how to approach the class. They're not meant to be a comprehensive list.

Ridiculously Circuitous Plans

Post by Ridiculously Circuitous Plans » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:09 am

Just a note: I'm fairly certain most of these builds can't get ESF Discipline at the point you have it listed. It requires 20 ranks, but you've got it listed several times before the final fighter level is taken. Maybe I missed something, but you'd need to somehow fit it in afterward if my figuring is correct.

Edit: Also just noticed that for the 23 SS/ 4 F/ 3 R Dex build you can actually start with slightly better stats with a small adjustment. Starting Dex at 16(+2) gives you three more points, two of which can bring Int to 16(+2) as well. Then just switch one of the int bumps to dex and keep the Great Int feat, and you end up with the same ending stats, but with 1 more point to toss into strength to even it to 12.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:14 am

I'll doublecheck things in the morning. The builds have been rejiggered a few times to respond to class changes, so it's entirely possible that an ESF requirement was overlooked. If the stat change results in a better starting spread, I'll adjust it accordingly.

Spaniardl

Post by Spaniardl » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:34 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:
Ozzy.nl wrote:This might be just me but reading over all the build I see a +2 only with GMW, but isn't it suppose to give +5?
The baseline stats are for a +3 weapon. So a GMW is a +2 improvement when it's being used.
Lurch wrote:I haven't seen monk being mentioned, for example as an alternative to rogue in a dex-based, spellsword 23 / fighter 4 / monk 3 build.
Feel free to post builds! The ones listed near the beginning of the thread were some samples/templates for people uncertain how to approach the class. They're not meant to be a comprehensive list.
Feel free to post builds? Why not... I will post mine or what i have planned for my currently level 15 Beldin, any suggestions/comments appreciated.

DWARF - Why dwarf? Humans are boring. When I play a human and someone greets me i say "hi". When I play a dwarf and someone greets me i say "oi der"...much better... Screw your extra feat and skills!
(gift of +2 str, thats it. i didn't want more than +1 ECL)
Starting stats with 1 gift: Str 19, Con 16, Int 16, Dex 8, Cha 6, Wis 8
End base stats: Str 24, Int 20, Con 16, Dex 8, Cha 6, Wis 8

24 wiz / 3 ftr / 3 bard

1: W(1) – expertise
2: W(2)
3: W(3) – imp expertise
4: W(4) - { + STR }
5: W(5) – Bonus Wizard: extend spell
6: W(6) – blind fight
7: W(7)
8: W(8) - { + INT}
9: W(9) – knockdown
10: W(10) - Bonus Wizard: empower spell
11: W(11)
12: W(12) – spell focus abjuration { + INT }
13: W(13)
14: W(14)
15: W(15) – impknockdown, Bonus Wizard: arcane def abjuration
16: W(16) - { + INT }
17: W(17)
18: W(18) – (undecided feat could be: weapon focus, exotic wpn prof, spell penetration, spell focus...)
19: F(1) – weapon focus (or weapon specialization if i take wpn focus at lvl 18)
20: F(2) – improved critical, { + STR }
21: F(3) – great str
22: W(19)
23: W(20) - Bonus Wizard: great int
24: W(21) – epic skill focus disc, { + STR },
25: W(22)
26: W(23) - Bonus Wizard: epic mage armor
27: W(24) – armor skin
28: B or R(1) - { + STR }
29: B or R(2)
30: B or R(3) – epic weapon focus

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:38 pm

19: F(1) – weapon focus (or weapon specialization if i take wpn focus at lvl 18)
You can't take WS until your fourth fighter level.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:32 pm

For the 23/4/3 build, I found myself incapable of taking improved crit on the level suggested (I think it's 9?), which seems normal bc 6 wizard + 3 fighter is only +6 BAB where you need +8 BAB for imp. crit.

My concern is maybe I'm looking at this wrong. Was this just a mistake, or is there something I'm missing?

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:52 pm

liver and bones wrote:For the 23/4/3 build, I found myself incapable of taking improved crit on the level suggested (I think it's 9?), which seems normal bc 6 wizard + 3 fighter is only +6 BAB where you need +8 BAB for imp. crit.

My concern is maybe I'm looking at this wrong. Was this just a mistake, or is there something I'm missing?
Yep, it's not an option at that level. You can carry on with the build as planned by swapping it either with the level 15 or level 18 feats.

On a related note, I've gone back and edited the builds for recent corrections. In particular, the DEX builds had their starting attributes tweaked for a slightly better stat layout, as pointed out above.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:48 pm

*le sigh* i was following the old build stat layout now i am lost :lol:

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:54 pm

Ozzy.nl wrote:*le sigh* i was following the old build stat layout now i am lost :lol:
Practically, nothing's changed except one of the early stat level-ups are in DEX instead of INT. If you're past the early levels, you won't notice a difference.

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:50 pm

Anyone play 22 Spellsword, 5 PDK, 3 Paladin/Blackguard Build with maximized int and High Cha?

At first glance it looks like a fun wizard build that double the intelligence melee damage bonus and adds divine might damage/shield AC with High saves to boot.

Do memes kids. You know you want to.
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63