Extend spell exploit and Bard brew and wandcraft

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Opustus

Extend spell exploit and Bard brew and wandcraft

Post by Opustus » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:44 pm

I'm choosing feats for my bard character and have a few questions about Extend spell, Brew potion and Craft wand as regards the class.

1) Has the Extend spell exploit (cast an extended spell -> the consecutive spells from potions, wands, and items come as extended) been removed? If not, is its use condoned?

2) The Arelith wiki on feat changes pertaining to Brew potion and Craft wand reads as follows:
"Brew Potion: On Arelith, all spells (Wiz/Sorc, Ranger, Druid and Cleric spells) from Level 0 up to Level 3 are "potionable", even spells that are normally not potionable in the default Neverwinter Nights, like True Strike, Expeditious Retreat, Camouflage, Entropic Shield and so on."

"Craft Wand: On Arelith, all spells (Wiz/Sorc, Ranger, Druid and Cleric spells) from Level 0 up to Level 4 are "wandable", even spells that are normally not wandable in the default Neverwinter Nights, like True Strike, Expeditious Retreat, Camouflage, Entropic Shield and so on. Divine Power and Invisibility Purge can not be wanded, and this exception is intentional."

Does the list inside the parentheses (brackets?) also include Bard spells? I am considering taking Brew potion instead of Craft wand, because it'd be nice to sponsor non-UMDers but chiefly to manufcature Wounding Whispers and War Cry as pots. (War Cry is treated as innate level 3 for purposes of crafting!)

This bit of trivia is crucial to the character concept, because Wounding Whispers isn't a wandable spell in vanilla NWN and unless there's been a change made to it, it still won't work and I'm better with brewery. I would appreciate if there is any Bard player to verify this.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Tetra

Re: Extend spell exploit and Bard brew and wandcraft

Post by Tetra » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:27 pm

Last edited by Tetra on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:58 am

Having run a potioneer wizard with brew potion, I can give you some pointers.

Mage armor pots sell like candy. If you're selling pots, these are your bread and butter.
I've seen them sell well for 150gp ea. The price can be flexible according to demand, but aim high at first, they only cost ~40 to make.

True strike sell decently enough. You can try to sell them at 500gp. They are expensive to craft, and you can't craft them for less than the cost a tinker can sell them, so the rarity of tinkers and the slow rate at which people can buy 3 at a time is a benefit to you. I recommend lining up clients and making these on special order.

Shield pots don't sell, don't bother. They are dropped by monsters too often.

Barkskin pots sell well if you're a druid. 150gp ea is a stable price to make them vanish off the shelves quickly.

None of the healing potions can be sold at a profit by comparison to NPC vendors. They cost too much to make.

See invis sells decently at about 150-200gp.

Protection from elements style spells like endurance might be worth selling. Tbh, I didn't do a lot of market testing for these.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:12 am

Thanks for the advice! Good to know that pots have some market value, too. Can anyone answer my original questions?

Tetra: I'm well aware that pretty much everyone has UMD, but the basic idea would be to supply potions to the ones who don't have UMD. It's unlikely my character would even take money from friends for it, so the demand for potions isn't my main concern. Bards don't have offensive spells I'd specifically want to wand save for maybe Grease; even Balagarn's Iron Horn can be brewed. You make a good point though, I'm sure that Craft wand is generally more useful than Brew.

The question, for me, boils down to whether Bard spells, notably Wounding Whispers and War Cry, can be brewed and wanded. In vanilla NWN, neither Wounding nor War Cry can be wanded, which would be a big (personal) dilemma.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect