Sneaky Halfling Cleric

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

One Two Three Five

Re: Sneaky Halfling Cleric

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:45 pm

Lorkas wrote:
@Lorkas: You're forgetting improved expertise, which all strength clerics these days run.
I didn't forget it, and I don't know why you would assume a DEX cleric/monk wouldn't take it also. I guess cleric/monk is pretty feat-starved if it goes for dual-wielding feats? Yea, if the cleric/monk can't fit in IE, then it is just strictly worse, apart from the stealth ability and maybe damage per round.
Yea, I was using the discussed version that's too feat-starved for it. Non-dual wielder will have it, definitely.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:47 pm

Rwby wrote:Why not?
Because it's not very strong. It'd be fine to do something like that if you were aware of the vast shortcomings that build would come with, but to come in expecting it to be powerful is a misconception. I guess he just wanted to make that clear, since in fairness your post doesn't really do so.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:29 pm

You could try maybe a high-cha cleric build and rely on Divine Favour/Divine Might for damage.

I'd still aim for a 23/4/3. 23 cleric, and maybe 4 ranger, and 3 bard? Rangers get a 6+ skillpoints, and you could take it pre-epic for full BAB. And it's easier to go Perform than Bluff, imo, for purposes of -disguise.

It's a quasi-battlecleric shell. You could go DEX, if you wanted. I'd aim for high INT either way for many skillpoints. With access to lots of cleric, I'd argue you could go STR, keep a reasonably high DEX score, wear sneaking armour, and just keep a bronze armour of choice in your inventory to whip out for combat purposes.

I think you want to aim for 23 cleric, regardless, because it allows for tons of flexibility, and is generally competitive in all PvE environments. If you add Trickery and Travel, with Extend Spell, you can run around in haste and improv invis for minutes.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

azrael_athing

Post by azrael_athing » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:47 am

Wasn't Katar Black a Rogue/Cleric? I am under the influence his build was rather solid if anyone can remember it?

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:07 am

Wizard/rogue I believe. Also think that his build might've worked back then but that so much has changed since that it'd prolly not work today.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:13 pm

azrael_athing wrote:Wasn't Katar Black a Rogue/Cleric? I am under the influence his build was rather solid if anyone can remember it?
It was actually really bad, by today's standards - but back then, he caught a lot of people by surprise which was why it seemed so solid. He relied on Hold Monster, then sneak attack to death. This might still work today, but the proliferation of more magical gear, access to more +save gear, and breach/dispels in the UMD meta, would severely gimp his approach, if not outright gut it.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil