AC, AC, AC

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Artenides

AC, AC, AC

Post by Artenides » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:57 pm

I do not really have any experience with meele characters and never had a lvl 30 char before. I wonder if you could give me some advice on what items do I need to be an effective tanky/meele char.

1. Apart from "if you get hit too often your AC is low" is there any guide optimizing your gear? Something like "at lvl 5 you have to have 20 AC, at lvl 10 you need at least 25 AC, etc".

2. What is the maximum AC for a cleric? What are the best items per slot?

3. How can you increase your AC without using magic?

4. Any suggestions for tanks (battle clerics)?
--
Plays as: [No active char atm]
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"

kittenblackfriends
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: AC, AC, AC

Post by kittenblackfriends » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:09 pm

10 AC base. 8 AC from armor. 1 AC from DEX. 3 AC from tower shield. That's your nonmagical 22 AC.

5 armor AC from Lv15 magic vestments. 5 shield AC from Lv15 magic vestments. 5 defl AC from Shield of Faith. So all clerics have 37 AC by Lv15.

An additional 4 dodge AC from Haste (Travel Domain). An additional 5 AC from barkskin (Plant domain) - alternatively 3 AC if you don't have the plant domain. Through potions, you'll have at least 44 AC.

An additional 5/10 AC from expertise/improved expertise. Plus other AC boosters, like Dodge boots (at least +1, barring artefacts), the Dodge feat (+1 vs your current target).

And then divine shield if you REALLY want it, but it's difficult to build for since MAD (multi attribute dependency). Just note that your total dodge AC caps at 20 - and that includes your dodge AC from boots and haste.
Gandalf wrote:Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:28 pm

and then 6 Dodge AC from level 30 tumble...

So 54 before expertise/divine shield is max for cleric.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Just bear in mind that the Dodge feat isn't really worth it for the bonus; it's more of a, "I have to take this for the prerequisite" feat.

Not saying that kittenblackfriends suggested you should. Only mentioning it because I've seen a lot of newer players prioritize it, when really, there are a ton of better alternatives.

Meliboeus

Post by Meliboeus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:19 pm

Peppermint wrote:...I've seen a lot of newer players prioritize it, when really, there are a ton of better alternatives.
Peppermint, does that mean you spend time deconstructing current player builds? That must be fascinating (and maddening)!

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Nah.

I used to offer build critique on a competitive action/PvP server. Some of the builds I received were pretty good, aside from a few niggles here and there. Some were absolutely unsalvageable. Most were somewhere in between.

But after a while, certain patterns arise -- common bumbles from player to player. This was a fairly typical one.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:04 am

As a response to "how much AC in general," a completed 20/7/3 WM build will have
10 base
13 addy full plate (incl. Dex)
4 addy helm
7 addy tower shield
6 tumble
2 armor skin
1 boots
1 mage armor
4 barkskin (wand, or 3 w/ potion)
4 haste
for a total of 52 before Improved Expertise, so up to 62 optional. It wouldn't be unreasonable for one to have 30+ AC before level 10 from a set of steel or +1 enchanted bronze.
Last edited by Baron Saturday on Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:30 am

And one more from dexterity for a total of 51.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:37 am

gilescorey wrote:And one more from dexterity for a total of 51.
Already counted that as part of addy full plate. 8 base + 1 Dex + 3 adamantine + 1 fighter.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:53 am

Oh whoops. I was wondering why my calculations were wrong. I was counting armour skin, and not counting mage armour. Most WM builds should and will have armour skin though.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:49 am

gilescorey wrote:Oh whoops. I was wondering why my calculations were wrong. I was counting armour skin, and not counting mage armour. Most WM builds should and will have armour skin though.
I... Totally forgot armor skin. Edited!

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:27 am

Artenides wrote: 2. What is the maximum AC for a cleric? What are the best items per slot?
Depends on the build type but a well-built strength-based battle cleric can achieve 66 on its own. A charisma cleric can get even more, but mid 60s is generally more than sufficient.

You'll also want to stock up on AC-boosting scrolls, wands, and potions that cast spells like mage armor, barkskin, haste, shadow shield. Shadow shield scrolls are expensive but very worth it when the stakes are high.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

Artenides

Post by Artenides » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:16 am

Thanks for all the answers guys, you are awesome! :)
--
Plays as: [No active char atm]
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"

WhiskeyGuy

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:13 pm

I've noticed a trend...

It's to include Barkskin, Mage Armor, Haste and other things into an AC calculation.

It begs the question... does everyone really buff with all those things all the time?

I can see doing it for a boss or something, but... to stay buffed with all that constantly is impractical.

Fairly new here so looking for "typical numbers to shoot for" for AC and AB, and found this article.

Thanks.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Barkskin is pretty much permanently buffed, yes.

Mage Armor? Sometimes. Definitely on arcane casters.

Haste is often included in calculations because it's always going to be up against actual threats. You won't need that much AC for filler.

WhiskeyGuy

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:49 pm

Interesting, guess I need to find a steady source of Barkskin then.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:18 pm

Players often sell barkskin wands in shops. The duration for these is pretty good (far better than potions), and they're relatively cheap, most of the time...
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:32 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote: It begs the question...
:|
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

WhiskeyGuy

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:54 pm

Hmm?

Aero Silver

Post by Aero Silver » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Peppermint wrote:Just bear in mind that the Dodge feat isn't really worth it for the bonus; it's more of a, "I have to take this for the prerequisite" feat.
Oh :shock: I never knew that! I kinda liked the extra 1 AC. Thanks for sharing.
All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous. Meaning: all that glitters ain't gold.

Terminal_Templari
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Terminal_Templari » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:12 am

Peppermint wrote:
Mage Armor? Sometimes. Definitely on arcane casters.
On a non-pure caster, I would say definitely. On a pure caster, though? What's the point? Is 13 AC better than 9?

Freaking anything will hit both AC like it's not even there. At least Shield and Prot v alignment have other effects... I routinely skipped the mage armour on my casters. I had it, sure... but never bothered casting it on myself, only on my summon.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:18 am

It's worth casting on any caster you'd bother calculating AC for.

Spaniardl

Post by Spaniardl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:52 pm

If you want to be a good tank, make sure you have some sort of concealment, whether its a friend to buff you or your using wands with improved invis on them. If you have a million ac, you still get hit 5% of the time.