Undead Hunter

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Opustus

Re: Undead Hunter

Post by Opustus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:20 pm

kittenblackfriends wrote:To be a Harper, you just have to submit an app with the DM team to show that you know how to play a Harper. You don't even need to interact with player Harpers.

And if you haven't met a Harper, that's a good thing. Harpers shouldn't be easily foxed out.
Wowee, that's a smart way to do it. Ten points to Gryffindor!
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:40 pm

So I came up with a quick test build with some of this threads feedback in mind. Thoughts?

Cleric 23/Paladin 4/Bard 3
Main/sub stat: Wisdom/CHA
Weapon: Heavy Crossbow
BAB (buffed): 44/39/34/29 (I can probalby add another point or two with bardsong and whatnot: I didn't touch that during testing)
Damage vs undead: High 40's-mid fifties per hit
Spellcasting: Evocation (DC's were high, but I don't remember the exact numbers)

I choose a ranged weapon for rp reasons. A good number of undead are slow moving, and their more problematic abilities only come into play in melee combat (disease, paralysis, level drain, swarming, etc) so ranged combat would be reasonable for a smart undead hunter. Turn undead could be used to force back undead when surrounded, and its easier to pick feared undead off with ranged weapons rather than chasing them to melee.

The ranged focus means burning a few feats (called shot, zen archer, rapid reload) and unfortnatly I don't have the extra feat to burn for bow use (4 total for bows, vs 3 for crossbows). This build has almost no melee viability, so heavy use of summons, disabling spells, and turn undead to keep things away would be needed.

Ideally, this kind of character would be best with a small party (raise dead, mass heal, summon support, called shot support) which different from my usua lone-wolf approach with most of my characters.

Thoughts?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:06 am

Consider taking the crafting gift. Since nobody really makes bolt bundles, you'll need to do them yourself, and that means at least 1 point in art, 1 in forging (20 for damask), and 8 in carpentry (for arrow shafts). Doing crossbow as anything other than Drow will be tough, since it takes a Drow crafter to make the best crossbows/bolts, which can only be used by evil elves. Still, using turn and such to keep enemies at bay... Might work? Consider getting sun domain.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:10 am

Pretty sweet concept, mstr. It sounds like a character you'd want to see for real.

Pros/cons of taking monk instead of bard? You have to be LG anyways. And I guess UMD is important, but. You'd get some up close versatility!
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:33 am

I'd go rogue over bard, personally, unless you really need that Discipline to be on 28/29/30 for feat placement.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:28 pm

Looking over the build...its wierd splitting playstyles with a casting/ranged build.

Anyone got any suggestions for a good anti-undead ranged build?

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:19 pm

AA or no? Because you can just do the divine might AA build, which will net you paladin spells.

Non-AA opens up a lot more windows.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:AA or no? Because you can just do the divine might AA build, which will net you paladin spells.

Non-AA opens up a lot more windows.
Most versions of the build I've seen do minimal paladin levels. Something like 4 paladin 7 bard 19 aa, or 8 bard 18 aa.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Lets try non AA. An AA build would be pretty easy to figure out (paladin/bard/AA or something similar) so lets try a more creative approach