Sub?-optimal Build Starters

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Hunter548

Re: Sub?-optimal Build Starters

Post by Hunter548 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:
WanderingPoet wrote:
Hunter548 wrote: Rangers
Double weapon: Double axe, double sword. Don't turn your nose up at it immediatly: These weapons give you seven attacks per round while hasted, and +2 AB. Very good for going Pufferfish to the walls for damage, though you obviously lose 8 AC.
Out of curiosity, 8?

Shouldn't that be 5 AC lost? Towershield +3 would be 7 AC, but dual wielding on a ranger gives you 2AC after level 14 while dual wielding. Potentially toss in the shield spell, to drop the difference down to 1/2AC?
I think Hunter was counting the +1 shield AC from fighter level 5, but that doesn't apply anymore - shield got moved to 10, fighters now get +1 armor AC at 5. Also, the spell Shield gives deflection AC, despite the name, so wouldn't close the gap any.
This is correct - Or rather, the 8 is a typo, when I meant to type 7 for the reasons Baron outlined. . Worth noting that most of my stuff has been very back of envelope thus far so ask clarification if you're confused.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:12 pm

Jagel wrote:They don't. Which makes me sad.

They do get the +2 ab but it would hardly be OP to let them enable the whopping +2 AC as well since focusing on a double weapon costs you AB/dmg when switching to sword 'n board for more AC
Wiki is incorrect then? Or is there a bug?
http://wiki.arelith.com/Ranger wrote:At level 6, acquire Animal Companion, and they gain +1 Dodge AC when they are dual wielding. This applies to Double Sided Weapons.
I hadn't realized Shield was deflection AC, good to know! Apparently I should read spell a little more carefully~

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:36 am

WanderingPoet wrote:

They do get the +2 ab but it would hardly be OP to let them enable the whopping +2 AC as well since focusing on a double weapon costs you AB/dmg when switching to sword 'n board for more AC
http://wiki.arelith.com/Ranger wrote:At level 6, acquire Animal Companion, and they gain +1 Dodge AC when they are dual wielding. This applies to Double Sided Weapons.
Huh. Last time I checked the wiki, it very clearly stated that the AC bonus did NOT apply to double-sided weapons. Can someone with a ranger confirm that this has been changed, or if the wiki is just wrong?
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Rabbid
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rabbid » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:55 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
WanderingPoet wrote:

Huh. Last time I checked the wiki, it very clearly stated that the AC bonus did NOT apply to double-sided weapons. Can someone with a ranger confirm that this has been changed, or if the wiki is just wrong?
I have had it confirmed by Scurvy and a couple of others that the bonus does indeed apply, though for the sake of being 120% sure I'm about to test it.
Kalgoon wrote:Drow PC waltzed into Cordor and proceeded to murder like disco was going out of style
Kuma wrote:It's 1372 after Bane's resurrection but before the Silence of Lolth
Which means that Elminster has been trapped in hell for 130 years
+1

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:20 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
WanderingPoet wrote:

Intentional change to the wiki as of June 4th. I just tested it with a character with 6 levels of ranger and I didn't get the dodge ac even when dual wielding a rapier and shortsword. Not sure if it is actually given at level 6.

Rabbid
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rabbid » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:37 am

WanderingPoet wrote: Intentional change to the wiki as of June 4th. I just tested it with a character with 6 levels of ranger and I didn't get the dodge ac even when dual wielding a rapier and shortsword. Not sure if it is actually given at level 6.
Does your character have the path of sniper or archer? If so you won't be eligible for the dual wield ac
Kalgoon wrote:Drow PC waltzed into Cordor and proceeded to murder like disco was going out of style
Kuma wrote:It's 1372 after Bane's resurrection but before the Silence of Lolth
Which means that Elminster has been trapped in hell for 130 years
+1

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:40 am

Good point, path of the Archer.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:37 am

Pied Piper of the Damned!

Bard 8/Knight Vanguard 6/Blackguard 16
Summon a big demon, buff it/debuff enemies, sit in Imp. Expertise and laugh.
Orog might be good for this, as the stat bonuses are perfect - str/cha. Don't need dex/wis for this build!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and get at least 26 ranks of Carpentry. Rock out on the Ollamh harp while your beasty goes to town.

EDIT 2: Am stupid, Orogs don't get Power Attack and +5 Intimidate, though the Str/Cha bonus would still be nice.

EDIT 3: Am a drooling incompetent. Inability to take Lasting inspiration puts a damper on this build. Possibly take Lingering Song and Extra Song to make up for it? :/
Last edited by Baron Saturday on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:05 am

Orogs don't get the Half-Orc bonuses like free power attack and such.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:17 am

gilescorey wrote:Orogs don't get the Half-Orc bonuses like free power attack and such.
... I suppose that would be kinda over the top, huh? Bah. Human it is, then!

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:47 am

Also lasting insp takes more than 8 bard lvls, no?

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:01 am

Also true. You need at least 20 bard levels for lasting inspiration.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:41 am

Bah, was deceived by the prereqs, didn't think to check the notes on the wiki.