Thematic "Slaver" Build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Skarain

Thematic "Slaver" Build

Post by Skarain » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:54 am

Hello Arelith.

I have been toying quite some time with a character concept. A player character who resides in the Underdark and who aims to make being a Slaver a career to themselves in RP. Likely a Kobold, Goblin or other Monsterous race member.

While i do have some ideas, I would appreciate suggestions on what class-combination -you- would think most thematically fitting for such a character concept?

Thank you for any thoughts provided!

Disclaimer: My intentions is to create roleplaying and tell stories centered around the theme of slavery and slave trade, as supported by the Underdark setting and the mechanical systems it have in place. This is not an intended as an excuse to PvP people, or drag people into the dark without their OOC consent. Likely most encounters will be heavily roleplayed and emoted, so even if the concept of slavery is not your cup of tea, kindly keep the conversation civil.

Jagel

Re: Thematic "Slaver" Build

Post by Jagel » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:04 pm

Duergar ranger.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:42 pm

Probably an enchantment-focused sorcerer with the mind-control spells?
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:32 pm

As you're going for a monstrous character, I'm assuming one that -disguise really isn't going to help. WYSIWYG goblin is going to look like a goblin regardless barring polymorph effects so you yourself can't really IC fool potential targets, though a slave accomplice could for example.

Me personally, I picture someone with a whip/club/fists/quarterstaff or other -subdual capable weapon and high Use Rope skill being capable of sneaking about to "case the joint" and stalk potential slaves. The slaver waits till the target(s) are at a spot at their most vulnerable to appear and first threaten them; if that fails knock them out and tie them up. If you're going goblin then mixing in poisons could work as well for icing on the cake.

Personally I could see a monk working pretty well for this. You easily have a feat to spare for dirty fighting and are sneaky, fast, and can interrupt things with stunning fist or improved knockdown at very low levels. That would allow you to engage in some slavery attempts pretty early in your leveling career as opposed to waiting till late epics to finally play with your concept on more than NPCs.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:22 am

Would goblin and kobold as small races put them at a severe disadvantage due to size? Either with lassos on NPCs or in trying to subdue PCs.

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:40 am

I did this once, and it was one of my favorite characters.

Barbarian, Bard, Knight.

The idea being Fear. Lots of intimidate ranks.

15 barbarian for Terrifying Rage. 10 Knight tradition Vanguard, for its fear ability bonuses. Finally 5 bard for Spellcraft, Tumble, and UMD dips.

Between some really good AB, AOE debuffs, single target debuffs, and standard defenses, it makes for a pretty versatile warrior type. Damage isn't great, but you can excel in many situations just with the proper ability usage to debilitate your target. Personally I went with Disarm, so the unruly slave or two who thought to act up, could get their weapon slapped away. It's a great power move. And then for mages you have the Spell Failure chance both from Knight Fear, and Barbarian Terrifying Rage.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.