Your Monk Builds Ideas

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Archnon

Re: Your Monk Builds Ideas

Post by Archnon » Wed May 15, 2019 6:27 pm

Astral wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:50 pm
SR is relevant when a spell is cast on you. Its not relevant when a target has 50% concealment from improved invisibility and blind fight still effectively reduces it to 25%.
To follow up with another noob question. Are dispelling spells affected by SR. So can you resist an attempt to keep your buffs?
Zahlzeit wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:11 pm
How should one build a monk that wants to do well in pvp? Or should I look elsewhere?
I am trying my hand at a dex build parry monk, trying to take advantage of epic dodge. Goal is sort of a one-on-one samurai style with a katana for PVP purposes. Run around challenging people to fights, subdual to play nice. Maxing out parry and discipline and taking the whirlwind feats for a last punch, as well as blind fight or improved parry. Epic feats taking ESF parry, maybe ESF disc, and 3-4 SR feats. Not sure if it is a decent build or not but I think it is a cool RP concept

Astral

Post by Astral » Wed May 15, 2019 6:31 pm

dispels dont check SR.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

KreshDickens
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by KreshDickens » Sat May 25, 2019 1:12 am

I've temporarily given up on custom builds until I understand more Arelith, is the below still the most optimal build:

Human/helf
STR: 18 (26) (gift)
DEX: 14 (gift)
CON: 14
WIS: 12
INT: 14
CHA: 8

01: Monk(1): dodge, expertise, {Cleave, Evasion, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist}
02: Monk(2): {Deflect Arrows}
03: Monk(3): blind fight
04: Monk(4): STR+1, (STR=19)
05: Monk(5)
06: Monk(6): imp expertise, {Knockdown, Improved Knockdown}
07: Monk(7)
08: Monk(8): STR+1, (STR=20)
09: Monk(9): mobility, {Improved Evasion}
10: Monk(10)
11: Monk(11)
12: Monk(12): STR+1, spring attack, (STR=21)
13: Monk(13)
14: Monk(14)
15: Monk(15): whirlwind attack
16: Monk(16): STR+1, [free weapon focus: katana], (STR=22)
17: Weapon Master(1): Weapon of Choice: Katana
18: Weapon Master(2): improved crit
19: Weapon Master(3)
20: Weapon Master(4): STR+1, (STR=23)
21: Weapon Master(5): epic weapon focus: katana
22: Weapon Master(6)
23: Weapon Master(7)
24: Monk(17): STR+1, armor skin, (STR=24)
25: Monk(18)
26: Monk(19)
27: Monk(20): Great Strength I, (STR=25)
28: Rogue(1): STR+1, (STR=26)
29: Rogue(2)
30: Rogue(3): epic dsicpline, {Uncanny Dodge I}

Last question, what is optimal crafting for a monk?

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat May 25, 2019 3:03 am

a monk can be any kind of crafter, just like any other character

mine is a art crafter and alchemist

now to be a master crafter in any craft you need to make sure you spend all craft points in that craft until you can hit the top dc listed in the trade book for that craft.

Forging is fifty something so you would put all points to forging
Art is 30's
Alchemy is 35
etc etc

crafting is a whole separate entity from what class you are, the only thing tied together is you gain your two points per level gained to spend in your chosen craft.

the build you listed is the WM mix build, you can also go pure to benefit from all the bonus monk goodies too, both are viable
Yes I can sign

Drak
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Drak » Sun May 26, 2019 3:02 am

This build will net you a whole 35 AC.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Sun May 26, 2019 3:12 am

Drak wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:02 am
I've been thinking this the whole time. It almost seems like you have to do a dex build to get a decent ac. My level 14 pure dex monk hits 40ac with zoo buffs and shield potions and barkskin and I have near top gear for the class. That heavily relies on 18 dex plus gear and grace. I get torn up in Minmir caves. I think I can top out at 50 but without the dex investment I don't understand how you aren't just a glass cannon.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sun May 26, 2019 3:33 am

Drak wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:02 am
including monk ac bonuses, are you sure? before buffs that is
Yes I can sign

Drak
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Drak » Sun May 26, 2019 7:16 am

At max buffs, 14 DEX will get you 26 DEX, or 8 AC.
At max buffs, 12 WIS will get you 24 WIS, or 6 AC.
Armor Skin gives you another 2.
Base AC is 10.
Disciples Garb is 3 I believe?

Then if you have pots or a pocket wizard you can go higher, but besides Haste/Expertise/Mage Armor/Barkskin, you aren't going to get much higher than that on a reliable basis.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun May 26, 2019 7:34 am

10 Base + 8 DEX + 7 WIS + 2 Armor Skin + 4 Monk + 6 Tumble + 3 Armor + 3 Helm (Deflection) + 4 Barkskin (Natural) + 1 Boots (Dodge) + 1 Mage Armor (Dodge) + 4 Haste (Dodge)

53 + 10 IE is 63.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sun May 26, 2019 12:39 pm

Drak wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:16 am
At max buffs, 14 DEX will get you 26 DEX, or 8 AC.
At max buffs, 12 WIS will get you 24 WIS, or 6 AC.
Armor Skin gives you another 2.
Base AC is 10.
Disciples Garb is 3 I believe?

Then if you have pots or a pocket wizard you can go higher, but besides Haste/Expertise/Mage Armor/Barkskin, you aren't going to get much higher than that on a reliable basis.
disciples garb also gives wis boost of 2, as do other items at level 18 I have a 23 wis 21 dex 21 str 18 con 14 int 9 cha, so already unbuffed my ac is 31 which will go even higher in the next 12 levels
Yes I can sign

KreshDickens
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by KreshDickens » Tue May 28, 2019 2:36 pm

Well, I've got to level 8 (all monk levels) and have been thoroughly enjoying every second of it.

I followed the above build, got expertise and improved expertise but when in those modes I can't seem to hit a thing. I think my attack bonus goes to -1/-4 or something similar.

I'd love to go unarmed, though it seems not-ideal. Is an endgame unarmed monk possible? If so, is it really advantageous to have improved expertise active in lieu of flurry of blows?

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Tue May 28, 2019 5:13 pm

I have been playing a dex-monk up to level 15 and have yet to need to use expertise to complete my writs.

If you are using potions for wisdom, dex and barkskin and can get your hands on a silk shirt, elven boots and mithril helmet, you can probably get enough AC that you don't need it.

As far as unarmed, I think it is actually better at low levels than weapons. Your attack damage grows over time, (D10 at level 8, d12 at level 12). The key is to find some simple plus one gloves and do the old rune, essence, damage. Then you can get 2d4 elemenal damage on your unarmed. Though I think if you go the WM route, then this doesn't serve you as well.

However, it seems most of the perks for armed monks don't kick in until you either take WM levels or you are epic. This includes the specialization, epic focus, epic specialization, and improved critical. I plan on going katana, but it isn't that great until level 28, unless i can get my hands on a great katana.

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue May 28, 2019 5:29 pm

KreshDickens wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:36 pm
Is an endgame unarmed monk possible?
Not on this build. This build is WM, and WM cant be unarmed.
KreshDickens wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:36 pm
is it really advantageous to have improved expertise active in lieu of flurry of blows?
Yes. Improved expertise is essential on any melee build no matter what class or type.
Archnon wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:13 pm
If you are using potions for wisdom, dex and barkskin and can get your hands on a silk shirt, elven boots and mithril helmet, you can probably get enough AC that you don't need it.
That's inaccurate. You dont want elven boots first of all because you benefit more from boots +1 ac/str/wis. Also, your ac with these mentioned items is still going to be relatively low for the avrage dungeon lvl you'll be doing pre-epic. Best advice is to party with a tank who can -guard. As a low lvl str based monk you can really get decent dps unarmed with flurry or even with a single kama, until you get lvl 16 and acquire Katana and then use improved expertise if you dont get a -guard.
Archnon wrote:
As far as unarmed, I think it is actually better at low levels than weapons. Your attack damage grows over time, (D10 at level 8, d12 at level 12). The key is to find some simple plus one gloves and do the old rune, essence, damage. Then you can get 2d4 elemenal damage on your unarmed. Though I think if you go the WM route, then this doesn't serve you as well.
You can do that actually. I lvled this build to 16 using either greensteel kama or mastery brass knuckles depending on the situation (type of damage I need, am I with or without party, and if I need the inventory slot for gloves at the time or not which depends on animal potion rolls). Then you get your katana at 16 and you use katana.
Archnon wrote:
However, it seems most of the perks for armed monks don't kick in until you either take WM levels or you are epic. This includes the specialization, epic focus, epic specialization, and improved critical. I plan on going katana, but it isn't that great until level 28, unless i can get my hands on a great katana.
If you go WM route you dont get any of those monk perks for free because the build only reaches lvl 20th monk. If you dont go weapon master route and are pure monk you probably better off spending your pre-epic feats on duel wielding and eventually use duel katanas at lvl 16.

KreshDickens
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by KreshDickens » Tue May 28, 2019 5:49 pm

Thank you guys/gals for the help! At this point I expect this build will go dual-Katana, not a big deal.

At that point, after I get the feats for it, will expertise be more feasible for use?

Last question; do you know if a pure monk, unarmed build for Arelith?

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue May 28, 2019 6:20 pm

KreshDickens wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:49 pm
Thank you guys/gals for the help! At this point I expect this build will go dual-Katana, not a big deal.

At that point, after I get the feats for it, will expertise be more feasible for use?
Again, improved expertise is essential on any melee build no matter what class or type.

KreshDickens wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:49 pm
Last question; do you know if a pure monk, unarmed build for Arelith?
Pure monk doesnt need a build. You get everything for free in your lvl progression. Remember to pick the feats epxertise, improved expertise, blind fight and if you're dex based then also weapon finesse.

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Tue May 28, 2019 7:51 pm

To help explain better than being told its 'essential' i'll try to expound a little bit. For low level play expertise is worthless, unless you're in a party setting, trying to tank. It does however become increasingly more valuable the better one's gear, level, and feats, become. Monster AC does not increase linearly with challenge rating, but your AB does. As well, higher CR content is afforded more diversity of build types. For example in the UD, minogon are GREAT to use expertise with. They have very poor AC, but tend to hit hard. Then for PvP, expertise usually serves as a means of buying time to evaluate the situation. Do you need to run? Is it time for a potion? Scroll? The extra defense is very useful for repositioning.

All of the above is why you typically see people say expertise (and improved) are essential for meleers. That said, I wouldnt call it essential. It's a very good idea to get expertise, in that it makes a more well rounded character, numbers wise. Most melee are about dishing out damage. Add being tank, and now you fulfill more roles. So its a very sound choice. If you dont care about that though? Wanna go all out offense, defense be damned? Take a pass. But if you have the extra feats, you may as well take it. A dual-wielding rogue, who is more interested in bursting down spell-casters, spying, and theft--for example--needs the feats for other things. Expertise makes less sense there.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.