Build concept help

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

msterswrdsmn

Build concept help

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:11 pm

So i've been toying around with making a new character, based on another character I played on another server (shard).

The rough concept I have now is:
Half elf
Lawful evil assassin/mercenary/bounty hunter for hire (scout sniper approach)
Crossbow focus (leaning towards light over heavy crossbows)
Favors cunning and tactical trickery over raw brute force
Assassin? I like the class and it fits his style, but it sadly is pretty lacklaster right now

Test builds i've played with were able to do around 120-130 damage per crit death attack, with average damage hovering around 60-70 per shot with sneaks (30 some without them), but everything else about the builds were a mess. Suggestions?

afreshstart

Re: Build concept help

Post by afreshstart » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:29 pm

I'd go something like... Ranger 21 5 Assassin 4 Fighter, using the drow light crossbow.

Assuming you get 26 dex at 30, your AB will be:

25(Base)+14(Dex)+3(WF+EWF)+1(Epic Prowess)+2(Bane of Enemies)+4(Drow Crossbow)=49

Your sneak attacks will deal 3d6(assassin)+5d6(drow crossbow)=8d6 sneak damage

Your bolts will also hit very hard against your favored enemies (5+2d6) bonus damage. And do okay daage against non favored enemies as well. It will depend on bolts you use a lot of course.

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:44 pm

20/7/3 take WF Moonblade, use a gonne as an opener then drop it for the blade
20 RPR GANG

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:01 pm

afreshstart wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:29 pm
I'd go something like... Ranger 21 5 Assassin 4 Fighter, using the drow light crossbow.

Assuming you get 26 dex at 30, your AB will be:

25(Base)+14(Dex)+3(WF+EWF)+1(Epic Prowess)+2(Bane of Enemies)+4(Drow Crossbow)=49

Your sneak attacks will deal 3d6(assassin)+5d6(drow crossbow)=8d6 sneak damage

Your bolts will also hit very hard against your favored enemies (5+2d6) bonus damage. And do okay daage against non favored enemies as well. It will depend on bolts you use a lot of course.
Got to say this is the way I'd do it. Ranger archers have a very nice damage output and forego the bolt tradeskill acquisition mess, plus the animal companion is RIGHT nasty when buffed. Currently playing a drow ranger with crossbow focus and the early levels can be challenging - but after hitting L12 it's been smooth sailing.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:29 am

21 ranger/5 sin/4 fighter is the first thing that came to my mind as well. If you really wanted to go heavy assassin, something like 8 ranger/16 sin/6 fighter might do the trick. You get an -assassinate bonus of 24 (assuming you can buff your Int up to 26), meet the edodge prereqs, and get the improved versions of all the assassin abilities. Losing Bane of Enemies HURTS, though.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I was originally going to go assassin heavy but I realized it would really cut down on my long-range damage (6 bonus + 2d6 BoE + 5 additional fav. enemy damage) and forced me to get a little too close for comfort to deal peak damage.

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:52 am

Recently wrote up a PDK/ BG that might work well for that. I went NE, though LE works just as well. Fighter base - use Bard if you want UMD.
~~~~~~
Badger
Wynn
RIP: Paddy