Graceful Elven Spellsword

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

AlteredAvatar

Graceful Elven Spellsword

Post by AlteredAvatar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:27 pm

Hey, trying out the game for the first time and I played a bit with a cookie cutter human spell sword to try out Arelith with a friend, but I wanted to try my hand at something a bit more thematic and fun. I wanted to make a Dex based Elven spell sword, my friend recommended I follow the cookie cutter build, but cut improved expertise, lose toughness at level six for weapon finesse, focus Rapier and then take Epic Skill focus Parry at the end of the build. Seems like it makes sense, but I was wondering if I could get some help from the experts. Thanks!

The1Kobra

Re: Graceful Elven Spellsword

Post by The1Kobra » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Personally, I'd say ESF Parry is a waste. The main issue with DEX spellswords is they don't get the same damage output that a STR spellsword does. It means you'll probably want either 6 Fighter for EWS or something else for bonus damage, though a divine might build synnergizes better with a STR build. Still, there are possibilities.

Sometimes DEX spellswords grab two weapon fighting, though it's up to you if you want it. It doesn't synnergize so well with rapier, though.

Another potential option might be to go Wizard/WM with rapier, since spellswords get a free dodge. You only get enough feats to make it work with human though, and even then it's tight.

If you go with fighter, you're going to have plenty of feats to spare. I went for ESF enchantment on mine, though transmutation will help your stat buffs. I'd bag craft wand too, you'd be surprised at how handy it is to be able to make your own.

Opustus

Re: Graceful Elven Spellsword

Post by Opustus » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:46 am

Correction to previous post, Spellsword gets Uncanny dodge, not Dodge.

I don't personally consider the minus damage and minus one feat a dealbreaker, you gain more AC in return and the imbues still pack oomph for your spelled blade. I think the common variety Wizard21/Tumbleclass/Fighter6 or Wizard23/Tumbleclass/Fighter4 works fine as DEX, even if the early levels will be a wee bit tougher.

Here's the ready-made build from Discord: https://docs.google.com/document/d/199E ... QMoQc/edit

You can make a few edits to it to accommodate the dexterity in lieu of strength.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect