Hin Throwing Weapon builds.

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

TheShadowdove

Hin Throwing Weapon builds.

Post by TheShadowdove » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:45 pm

Hey folks,

My wife wants to play a throwing weapon halfling.

What are some stat/feat/skill//class/level progressions you can think of for this build concept? Gear at different stages?

A non stealther who is primarily in the mess of it with heavy armor is fine, or a Dex fighter type, or even sneaky flatfoot gankers.

I think the main thing that spurred this on is that she keeps looting throwing weapons in Skal and is annoyed that they can't be sold to anyone. She she wants to just start over as a character who can use them, haha. That and she has always enjoyed roleplaying halflings, but the throwing weapons taking up inventory space, or that other players deposit into barrels to free up their own inventory, definitely made up her mind.

Thanks in advance for the help! Looking forward to seeing what you more experience and build savvy folks come up with!

-Dove
Last edited by TheShadowdove on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Oat

Re: Hin WM Throwing Weapon

Post by Jack Oat » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:54 pm

You can't play a Weaponmaster of a non-melee weapon or Unarmed Strike.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Barbarians give throwing axes damage bonuses while raging, so that's a possibility. Monks apply their unarmed attack progression when using shurikens.

The problem you're going to run into with throwing axes is that you need Dex to hit and Str to do damage/carry tons of 1 lb axes, unless I'm completely misunderstanding throwing weapon mechanics. Monk might be more doable if you went some sort of monk/fighter/other thing that boosts damage (rogue, assassin, CoT, etc) and kited enemies.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

TheShadowdove

Post by TheShadowdove » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:36 pm

Ooo thanks for your replies.

It has been so long since I did anything throwing related, also I'm back to nwn after a long break, so I didn't even think of those!

So weapon master is out. And I didn't know strength couldn't be used for AB on thrown weapons!

So either a fighter heavy build, or something that uses something like sneak attacks might be more helpful if going Dex.

Tourmaline

Re: Hin Throwing Weapon builds.

Post by Tourmaline » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:16 pm

I think darts are weak to build around because with a launcher you have two things to give you a bonus or enchantment, the launcher and the missile. With darts you only have the darts. They get heavy quick too. It's just not a great way to go. I find them most useful for clerics to use to distract enemies while their summons tear them up.

You might also tell her there are lots of things you will find you can't use, and throwing darts are only common on certain enemies, so that alone is not something to build around. You have to get used to leaving junk behind on corpses.