Archer Build. need help

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

hakkanwarrior

Archer Build. need help

Post by hakkanwarrior » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:47 am

I need help making a build for a friend. He wants to roleplay an elf in tune with nature. I want to give him the most optimal archer build. He likes the thought of rangers, arcane archers, or rogues. I'm assuming he should go with wood elf because of the free weapon focus: longbow. Any help is appreciated but I am really looking for an in depth build. Thanks!

The1Kobra

Re: Archer Build. need help

Post by The1Kobra » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:45 pm

Archers can be fun! You generally want to pick another class that can help with your defense. Fortunately I've got just the thing in mind.

Wood Elf:
Base: 12/18/12/14/12/8
After Subrace: 14/16/12/14/12/8

Pre-epic: 6/4/10 Ranger/Shadowdancer/Arcane Archer
Epic: 6/5/19 Ranger/Shadowdancer/Arcane Archer

Take the Archer Path. You could take marksman for extra feats, but I think infinite steel arrows will solve a lot of headaches, and you should have enough feats for everything you need.

Feats:
Free: Weapon Focus Longbow
Pre-epic(7): Finesse, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Blind Fight, IMPR Crit, Dodge, Mobility
Epic(4+2AA): G-Dex 1, Epic Weapon Focus Longbow, Armor Skin, Epic Prowess, Epic Skill Focus Hide, Epic Skill Focus Spot

End Stats: 14/24/12/14/12/8

I dipped shadowdancer for the HIPS fun and also the auto-guard shadow, which should help keep enemies off you while you shoot them.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:06 pm

ESF Hide might be overkill! Between (presumably) 33 base ranks, a +13 Dex mod, +5 from SD, and probably a few more points on equipment, you're pretty unlikely to be spotted. ESF Discipline might be a safer bet, to keep yourself from getting locked down at close range.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

hakkanwarrior

Post by hakkanwarrior » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanks a lot for helping.
Wood Elf:
Base: 12/18/12/14/12/8
After Subrace: 14/16/12/14/12/8
The wood elf loses his +2 dex bonus and doesn't get -2 constitution ?

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm

Wood Elves get +2 Str and -2 Dex on character creation.

http://wiki.arelith.com/Category:Race#Wood_Elf

hakkanwarrior

Post by hakkanwarrior » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Wood Elves get +2 Str and -2 Dex on character creation.
Ouch. Should he go moon elf or regular elf then?

The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:03 pm

Wood elf makes sense for a rangery shooter type. Do keep in mind that the free feat is valuable too, and STR is nice for the mighty bonus on bows and carry capacity.

Swapping to another subrace will require restructuring the feats. Though you could get Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot free by using the marksman rather than the archer path, if you're a more casual player the infinite steel arrows will be really helpful.

Though, ultimately, which elf subrace you pick should also be based around what you're looking for in the character, there's more nuances to the subraces than just their stats.

hakkanwarrior

Post by hakkanwarrior » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:09 am

Alright thanks a lot! Wood elf works then.

Do you think finesse is necessary as he will be using a bow or should he get a different feat?

Also what should his level progression be and what skills should he put in for those levels?

Thanks so much, looks like its coming together

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:26 am

I'd highly recommend finesse, as sometimes you just need to be able to switch to a sword & board and engage in melee.

Progression would probably be ranger 1-6, AA 7-16, SD 17-20, AA 21-26, SD 27, AA 28-30. Personally I might drop swap the last AA level for ranger in order to have a discipline dump at level 30.

Ideally, and in rough order of importance, you want:

33 discipline (possible only if you take ranger at level 30)
30 tumble (increase this on your SD levels)
33 hide
33 move silently
16 spellcraft (crossclassed)
Whatever skill points remain can be split between heal/spot/any rp-related skills that you want.
Last edited by Baron Saturday on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:27 am

Even on an archer character, there will be times you'll be forced into melee combat. You can do some with a 14 STR, but you'll be a good deal better off with finesse.

Keep in mind you need Dodge and mobility to get Shadowdancer. So I'd take dodge and mobility at levels 9 and 12.

Level Order: 6 Ranger, 7 Arcane Archer, 3 Shadowdancer, 3 Arcane Archer, 1 Shadowdancer, 6 Arcane Archer, 1 Shadowdancer, 3 Arcane Archer

Now for Skills:
Rangers on Arelith get 6 per level rather than 4 per level. So you'll get more skills than you might expect! Spend them on:

9 Discipline (Sadly Ranger is the only class you get with Disc as a class skill.)
33 Hide
33 Move Silently
30 Tumble (You'll need to spend a few extra for the SD prerequisite, since it's cross class for Ranger and AA)
33 Heal
33 Spot

I calculated that you'll have 55 left over. Cross class spellcraft (for saves vs spells bonus) is another good pick, but spend them on what you like.
Last edited by The1Kobra on Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hakkanwarrior

Post by hakkanwarrior » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:05 am

What gifts should I get?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:30 am

Generally speaking, you want to take gifts to your main stat and con. So for this build, dex and con. Your minor gift is up to you. Personally I enjoy taking the gift of craftsmanship.

godhand-
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by godhand- » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:19 am

I have an AA at present, level 12.
Theory is 19 AA, 6 Ranger - Unsure if 5 Ro or 5 SD is better.

I really like rogue for UMD
i really like SD for HIPS.

Alternatively, if i take 10 SD i can get epic dodge??? Is E-dodge worth it on an Archer? or just get hips and 'get gud' at placement of myself.
Cortex wrote: Addendum, the immediate above post by godhand is wrong in about every aspect, as were most of his other posts.

The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:10 am

I'd recommend taking the DEX, CON, and hide/ms gifts. Alternatively I think there's one for spot.

As for 10 SD, it's possible, but it does impact your amount of AA levels. If you do that, you'll end up with:
6/14/10 Ranger/AA/SD

Epic(4+1AA): EWF Longbow, Armor Skin, Epic Prowess, G-Dex 1, Epic Dodge.

On one hand, you're down 3 AB/Damage from lost AA levels. On the plus side, your shadow and your character will be a good deal sturdier, and you can get hide in plain sight a good deal earlier. If you do this, I'd recommend going for a 6/10/4 Pre-epic spread, and get HIPS at level 21, a nice boon for the epic levels.

If you want the discipline dump on the above build, you can give up an AA level, it costs 1 feat, likely means you'll shuffle out epic prowess.