The Ultimate Pacifist

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

The Ultimate Pacifist

Post by Wytchee » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:11 pm

What would she be?

A high parry monk who lives in -guard mode and never strikes offensively?

A charismatic rogue who uses cunning and diplomacy to deescalate conflicts?

A devout priestess of Eldath who never raises a hand to hurt, only to heal?

Give me your ideas and builds so I can steal them, please. Thanks. :D
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Xerah

Re: The Ultimate Pacifist

Post by Xerah » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:19 pm

I'd say healer cleric with conj focus.

Alice, the sunite, is an example of this.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:27 pm

Ah, the Amana!

The Amana is a monk, focusing entirely on speed, AC, and SR. Swords do not touch her. Spells do not touch her. And she causes no harm, not even in her own defense.

She does occasionally get possessed and demand the sacrifice of children, which is a drawback.

Seriously, though. Depending on how far you wanted to take the pacifism thing, you might consider having a weapon with the No Damage property equipped, such as a fishing pole, and strength no higher than 10.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Cleric of Eldath 20 with monk 10: Full AC buff spells, improved Expertise, strength 13 min to enable divine Shield, fast movement,epic skill focus in heal, spring attack to avoid attacks of opportunity.
Heal heal heal, run! Heal heal heal, run!
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Xerah wrote:I'd say healer cleric with conj focus.

I'm playing something similar now. My character just "killed" his first creature, at level 12 (summons, on the other hand, have killed a lot of stuff). It was a zombie, killed with turn undead.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Lorkas wrote:
Xerah wrote:I'd say healer cleric with conj focus.

I'm playing something similar now. My character just "killed" his first creature, at level 12 (summons, on the other hand, have killed a lot of stuff). It was a zombie, killed with turn undead.
I might consider something similar. A turning-healing focused Cleric who vowed to harm no *living* thing.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:37 pm

Bashagain wrote:Cleric of Eldath 20 with monk 10: Full AC buff spells, improved Expertise, strength 13 min to enable divine Shield, fast movement,epic skill focus in heal, spring attack to avoid attacks of opportunity.
Heal heal heal, run! Heal heal heal, run!
I like this too xD

However, spring attack would be redundant as you're going to want 30 tumble for +6 AC anyway. ^^ Also, dispel bait! D:

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Generally speaking, how much parry is considered enough for most encounters?

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:20 pm

No amount is enough for the 1vMany encounters that are common in PvM, but for 1v1 PvP, 60 is a number that would frustrate almost anyone who's trying to attack you.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:35 pm

If living in parry mode and going unarmed, circle kick actually becomes a useful feat. Since parry mode already spreads damage out, circle kick effectively gives you an extra attack with the parry bonus damage & AB.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:42 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:If living in parry mode and going unarmed, circle kick actually becomes a useful feat. Since parry mode already spreads damage out, circle kick effectively gives you an extra attack with the parry bonus damage & AB.
Really? Huh. That's good to know!

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:52 pm

Between Parry and Improved Expertise (IE), IE has a distinct advantage since it is in-effect regardless of your character’s attacks per round. Also, if your character is a pacifist uninterested in counterattacks, the possibility of “spectacular” reposte attack undermines his or her dogma.

As a healer and protector uninterested in dealing damage, maximizing the character’s AC, saves, and spell resistance becomes priority. Cleric monk with Abjuration focus ought to do the job.
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:58 pm

Bashagain wrote:As a healer and protector uninterested in dealing damage, maximizing the character’s AC, saves, and spell resistance becomes priority. Cleric monk with Abjuration focus ought to do the job.
That's probably the route I would go as well, truth be told.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:59 pm

Bashagain wrote:Between Parry and Improved Expertise (IE), IE has a distinct advantage since it is in-effect regardless of your character’s attacks per round. Also, if your character is a pacifist uninterested in counterattacks, the possibility of “spectacular” reposte attack undermines his or her dogma.

As a healer and protector uninterested in dealing damage, maximizing the character’s AC, saves, and spell resistance becomes priority. Cleric monk with Abjuration focus ought to do the job.
How effective do you think a parry-focused druid would be in Air Elemental form? Four attacks per round and she only counters the 1st, 3rd and 5th attacks. But eliminating that first attack effectively lowers the opponent's AB by 5 provided I succeed, and at 70 parry I'm likely to, no?

Note: pure 30 druid. Parry is a class skill. Monolithic form, of course.

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:03 pm

Wytchee wrote: However, spring attack would be redundant as you're going to want 30 tumble for +6 AC anyway. ^^ Also, dispel bait! D:
Dispel bait = enemy wasting an attack opportunity on a non-combatant. Pacifist agenda +1 :D

30 tumble nicely does the job about 80% of times but when you’re wearing a full armor (occasionally to suit the combat situation) it fails more frequently than one would expect.

For a character like this I wish we could dual wield tower shields LOL

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Monk 30, take exclusively Improved SR feats; alternatively go Monk 25 SD 5 for epic dodge at the cost of some SR. Never kill anything, but be so stupid fast that nothing kills you.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:42 am

Human Sorcerer 23 / Harper Paragon 4 / Monk 3

8 / 12 / 14 / 14 / 16 / 24 (17+7) (with gifts of wisdom and charisma)

Focus on abjuration and conjuration as a sorcerer, getting awesome defense from spells and stat buffs. Maybe dragon summon too. Or you could dominate your enemies with an enchanter character. Or use flesh to stone or bigby's crowd control. Slow is all-around awesome for debuffing.

Paragon gives full casting, divine grace for stupidly high saves and divine shield to cap out that dodge bonus of +20, with no need to take any points in strength. Monk gives wisdom for even more armor class goodness, evasion to utilize that reflex save and monk speed for expeditious retreat stacking + mass haste, which stacks with the former and great for those summons too. Both classes get access to discipline and tumble.

Since divine grace doesn't count against the +20 save bonus cap, with spellcraft ranks and optionally even protection from spells (area of effect buff for summons once again), your saves would be through the roof and you'd be able to shrug off spells and effects no problem. DC 20 reflex save would be piss-easy for you, so free offhand means deflecting arrows. You'll have more running speed than you'll know what to do with.

EDIT: As for the character background, a traveling mystic who venerates Shaundakul might work, even though monk lawfulness might conflict with the priesthood's chaotic bent. Some of Shaundakul's worshippers support the Harpers, according to lore.
Last edited by Lurch on Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:15 pm

I played a divination/abjuration pure sorcerer once with no direct-damage spells and no summon spells. It was functionally a total non-combatant apart from buffing up actual PC allies.

I think the only damage spell he had at all was acid sheath.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:13 am

Oath-Sworn Brother/Sister of Eldath
20 Monk/10 PDK (Protector/Valiant), Kensai path. Wis/Con. Protector for the Restoration buff to Inspire Courage or Valiant for the 10 Regen/round on Last Stand.

Zip around, unstoppable because Kensai, and just focus on keeping your party in prime condition.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:51 am

Monk 20 / Shadowdancer 10
10 STR
25 DEX (but don't take weapon finesse)
As much WIS as possible
8 for the rest, including INT because anyone in their right mind is peaceful but recognises that pacifists probably aren't thinking things through.

Epic dodge, imp expertise, no damage property gloves, use hips and speed to avoid every fight, not enough INT to engage in conflict in a meaningful way, not enough INT to talk shit, enough WIS to know better.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:57 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:If living in parry mode and going unarmed, circle kick actually becomes a useful feat. Since parry mode already spreads damage out, circle kick effectively gives you an extra attack with the parry bonus damage & AB.
But doesn't it still make you flat footed?
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:52 pm

I've a mind for an air elemental themed druid. 68 AC and upwards of 70 parry should make me pretty tanky in 1v1, despite the lack of discipline. Purely defensive, with no access to knockdown or other combat feats.

Come to think of it, I should have labeled this thread "the ultimate defensive fighter." :P

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:31 pm

Dalenger wrote:
But doesn't it still make you flat footed?
Technically it can drop you out of combat mode if it tries to circle kick someone out of range, but I didn't have that happen myself.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Wytchee wrote:I've a mind for an air elemental themed druid. 68 AC and upwards of 70 parry should make me pretty tanky in 1v1, despite the lack of discipline. Purely defensive, with no access to knockdown or other combat feats.

Come to think of it, I should have labeled this thread "the ultimate defensive fighter." :P
Am I wrong or are some elemental forms just immune to knockdown?

Edit; yeah earth is immune to knockdown.
\

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:36 pm

Wytchee wrote:"the ultimate defensive fighter."
Melee PM variants!