Discipline-- Worth or not worth?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Hunter548

Re: Discipline-- Worth or not worth?

Post by Hunter548 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:25 am

I'm not sure it's possible to make KD less compulsory without neutering KD.

In PnP, it's less omnipotent, largely because it works in a very different and not altogether transferable well. Without the limitations of PNP style rounds, I dunno if changing KD will help. Probably best to instead keep it as un-painful to acquire as possible.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 am

Some aspects of the design from PnP could be put in. For example, making it so that someone resisting your KD puts you at risk of being KDd yourself. That makes it a good deal riskier to spam it.

Alternatively we could straight up prevent spamming with a CD.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:01 am

Lorkas wrote:Some aspects of the design from PnP could be put in. For example, making it so that someone resisting your KD puts you at risk of being KDd yourself. That makes it a good deal riskier to spam it.

Alternatively we could straight up prevent spamming with a CD.
The former's pretty irrelevant to making, say, a wizard not absolutely need discipline every day. Nor does putting it on a cooldown help with that aspect.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

flower

Post by flower » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:12 am

Discipline is needed for:

disarm
called shot

...also.

Without it, you would kept cummulating called shots till the point you cant move/hit opponent.
Without it, you would be getting disarmed until you lost all weapons and got butchered.

Nerfing/changing KD wont save you from taking discipline.

KD balances meleers VS casters.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:21 pm

Making discipline for everyone, or anything of the sort, just means shifting the goal posts - it won't change anything and, everything is frankly designed around this (You'll bump the average CL up, making Bclerics nigh dispel immune - for example.).

You do nothing for people who build poorly. Which, bottom line, is what not taking discipline is.

It also won't increase variety - you might make a couple of new builds viable, but you'll make just as many comparatively bad.

(Additionally, Parry is already good, there's no need to make it a superior version of discipline)

Spamming KD isn't really a problem, it's nearly always not a very good idea to do so. (It's considerably less likely to connect through the combat round)

Edit:

I also don't think well built dex fighters have a problem with discipline (Iron horn is a much bigger problem!).

You effectively receive +5 to discipline, if you're 1 on 1, by virtue of epic dodge.
Add that to an average starting strength (Say, 14) and a potion, (+4 STR score) they're only then 5 points behind.

Add on a lucky artefact, or factor in some nice parrying and you're just as difficult to KD.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.