Shops Duration before Going Up for Sale

A place to file suggestions that have been completed.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Shops Duration before Going Up for Sale

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:01 am

Two days is not enough time. Really ... people do take breaks from the game, like weekends. In addition, the shop information explains that your shop is safe if you attend it at least once every 7 RL days ... please ... can we fix this? Good merchants are losing shops just because they lose internet or go on a family outing for a day or two.

I've even heard some folks refusing to get into merchant RP due to how easy it is to lose your shop.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Drake Strongfist

Re: Shops Duration before Going Up for Sale

Post by Drake Strongfist » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:26 pm

I would actually support the back side of this...shops and quarters...if you aren't on every other day you lose them. Approve!

The server is full of shops/ships/quarters that are owned by people who only ever get on once a week in order to make sure that their character (the one owning such) doesn't lose said "cookie."

I mean seriously...when was the last time Hana Bora did anything (although I admit I have actually seen her around rp'ing in the last few weeks), when was the last time anybody did anything with the guildhouse in the sewers that contributed to ANYTHING?

How long did Zachary Menned hold the guildhouse in upper cordor and did nothing with it other than rp owning a mansion? *eye roll*

By all means...take the holdings from these kinds of people. Do it yesterday!

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:51 pm

There is an issue with some UD shops.

Their timers on the module don't match the timers in the database. I fixed this a while back, but then it seems a subsequent update from the UD build team broke it again because they were using old versions of the areas. So the timers on the shop say 7d but they are actually 3d. I'm going to change the database values to 7d.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:24 pm

I think it'd be nice to see some short duration shops as well as some longer ones(which of course would cost a bit more than the short ones).

As it is now, there's issues with people logging in once a week to hold onto their quarter. If the shops time is extended I fear this will become a more common occurrence for stores as well.

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:16 pm

I don't think that it's fair to limit the UD's shops in that way, Twily, when Cordor/everywhere on the Surface has temporary shops and/or 7 day shops (unless expressly specified).
(Thankyou Mithreas)

Some of us do want to go away for a couple of days every now and then Drake, Arelith should not be a job where you have to login every single day/every other day.

If you think someone is holding a quarter or a shop and not doing anything with it? Report it. Let the DMs handle it.
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:30 pm

Instead of a long rant - here is a conclusive list ofmy thoughts

Short duration shops - Three days shops are just fine. Having a few (esp the ones in prime locations) be three day shops sounds just fine to me. I see nothing wrong with this.

That said I would not want -all- Underdarker shops to be three day durations. That seems overly harsh and a little unfair. Having say, the ones in neutral/well traveled areas be three days, and the ones in none neutral/less well travled areas by seven days, seems a good balence.

Mostl of all - I just want shops to be honest about their time limits on the signs. So that those who purchase them can know when they need to be refreshed.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:20 am

I actually ment my post as short and long durations shops everywhere. Cordor, Surface and UD

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:49 am

7 days was a nice change/min imho. You have the temp shops for short duration. Arelith shouldn't require frequent log-ins. 7 days is friendly to the casual player.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:51 am

If Valor Were Inches wrote:7 days is friendly to the casual player.
It's good to have a blend of all of the options. 7-days is great for the casual player, and temp shops are great for quick sales, but 3-day shops are a nice long term option which is more resistant to the once-a-week disease.

As long as they're properly labeled, everyone knows what they're getting into.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Kaulguard

Post by Kaulguard » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:51 am

I see Hana Bora on all the time, but usually only when I'm logged in early in the day. See, here's the thing. People from all over the world play on Arelith, and their primo playtimes might just be opposite yours. From your perspective, they're never on, but that doesn't make it true.

Have there been problems in the past with people hanging on to guild houses and not using them? Uh, yeah. And there are right now, and there will be in the future. Them's the breaks. "Make the most of what's available to you, and you'll be all the more prepared when one of the big server resources falls in your lap, cause they always do". I put quotes around it, because another player told me that in a tell, when I was sweating the Tower wards. And they were right.

What are you doing with what you have available to you? If you are making the most of it, then you're cool. Don't sweat what other players are doing. Not only is it not your responsibility (nor mine), it isn't going to make a single bit of difference, except that some will be turned off by your vitriol.

For the record, I think a flat 7 days for all shops/quarters/guild houses makes sense. But, the Devs almost certainly have a perspective on that that I don't, and I trust them.
"I foresee online gaming changing when there are good audio-visual links connecting the participants, thus approximating play in a face-to-face group."
Gary Gygax

LittleWeasel
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by LittleWeasel » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:49 am

Mithreas wrote:There is an issue with some UD shops.

Their timers on the module don't match the timers in the database. I fixed this a while back, but then it seems a subsequent update from the UD build team broke it again because they were using old versions of the areas. So the timers on the shop say 7d but they are actually 3d. I'm going to change the database values to 7d.
Quoted for Emphasis.
The shops were supposed to be 7 days. He's going to fix it ;)
Don't take Life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive...
Mind over Matter... now that I don't have a mind, it doesn't matter...
Ware the Wrath of the Weasel:
*nibble*
*cluck*

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:44 pm

Mithreas wrote:There is an issue with some UD shops.

Love :D
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat