Give Devil's Table NPCs Party Friendly Spellbooks

A place to file suggestions that have been completed.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Peppermint

Give Devil's Table NPCs Party Friendly Spellbooks

Post by Peppermint » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:45 pm

Story time!

Once upon a time, Qirovva left her residence in the Devil's Table, only to discover that the sewers had overflowed, and there were slimes in the district. Oh, no!

She drew her trusty rapier as she was immediately beset by slimes and a -- a helpful mage?

Why, yes. The mage, through his valiant efforts, wasted little time in expending a host of spells on the slimes and Qirovva, including but not limited to fireballs and horrid wiltings.

Qirovva exclaimed, "Enough of that!" and bowed out. But being the illustrious matron that she was, she had vowed to track said male down later and claim his head. For not only were his valiant efforts unnecessary, but the damages he caused her forced her to expend precious heal kits.

Any fledgling adventurer would have surely died.

This doesn't seem like ideal design to me. Can the Devil's Table NPCs have an adjustment to their spellbooks to make them a little less dangerous to passersby?

High Primate

Re: Give Devil's Table NPCs Party Friendly Spellbooks

Post by High Primate » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:33 pm

Counter-suggestion: Remove the sewer overflow feature completely. Low-level characters get killed by those slimes.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

Valo65

Post by Valo65 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:20 pm

"Low level characters get killed" ... and this is a problem? :P

It's the Underdark. Whether or not it's a starting area, people should look at it as a dangerous place.
No one expects the Elvish Inquisition!

Alchuilas

Post by Alchuilas » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:20 pm

Yes. Lowbies getting killed is a problem. It discourages making new characters. It's never fun to stick to a character that dies consistently fresh out of the gate.

I had a low level character, MoD no less, that was Horrid Wilted by the same NPC in question because of those slimes.

Inalden

Post by Inalden » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:23 pm

Alas, Horrid wilting, I know them well. For there I was wandering the table all fresh and green. My low level Path of True Fire sorc minding his own business when low and behold. a Slime...level 3 + horrid wilting = mummified drow on the floor.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:22 pm

Lo and behold, the drow found the slimes such a menace a guard house was put up to handle this situation.

Soon..

Bones Mist and Moons
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Bones Mist and Moons » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:12 pm

I still think it's peculiar that a random, loitering NPC drow male is capable of casting ninth level spells and isn't an important NPC in any regard. If Andunor has that kind of power just wandering about, shouldn't be be RPing with it? :P

I totally agree with Peppermint about that particular NPC. The slimes, leave em. ITS THE UNDERDARK! If you don't feel like every corner could potentially hold a threatening encounter the DMs wouldn't be doing the deepest darkest pits of the earth justice. Your supposed to be afraid, your supposed to toughen up or die. Lv 3's beware.

The NPC however should be nerfed or something. It doesn't make sense for a random vagabond to be that powerful without some meaning to it. Either safety cone his magic, or take it away so he stops nuking players please lol
Don't use cross-area parties and -dispel while idle. Every bit of lag less is a penny in my therapy jar.

Bones - Necromancy, Life, Death, Creation, Time.
Mist - Mystery, Secrecy, Mysticism, Beauty.
Moons - Light, Dark, Space, Magic, Travel.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:43 pm

Valo65 wrote:"Low level characters get killed" ... and this is a problem? :P

It's the Underdark. Whether or not it's a starting area, people should look at it as a dangerous place.
When the balance is unfair on an OOC level, the setting is irrelevant. This is a fair suggestion, given that the area was never designed with regular incursions of mobs. Those NPCs are not idiots, either, if they're there to guard the area or w/e they would not be using spells that cause collateral damage to Their Own District.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:35 pm

We don't want friendly NPCs killing lowbies. Will be fixed.