Natural Spawn Script Speed Reduction

A place to file suggestions that have been completed.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Tashalar

Natural Spawn Script Speed Reduction

Post by Tashalar » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:17 pm

Can the rate that spawns expand by themselves be slowed a bit, please?

One area I can think of in particular (Peninsula) is very jarring with how quickly it moves from 'Driders and other Miscellaneous' to 'RUNNING WALL OF SLIMY WARRIORY DEATH'. Given the difficulty in clearing the area that is needed to relax the spawn rate - I won't mention it here in case anyone prefers to explore in game, but we had a group of... ten PCs together last time and we still had trouble - I think it is rather harsh to have an area so relatively close to a well-travelled-by-lowbies-area spilling out and butchering everything after three or four OC days.

Obviously I don't know the exact rate. But when two teen-level and one under ten go to travel past the Peninsula and all get butchered in -very- short order by High Priests, BGs and monsters that do disease/poison/dispel-on-hit it's just painful.

If, of course, some sod is increasing the spawn rate by helping it out, then please just ignore this post. *Shakes fist at saboteurs*
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

Yma23

Re: Natural Spawn Script Speed Reduction

Post by Yma23 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:48 am

I have to admit I'm in agreement with this. Absolute agreement. At the least it just needs to be shifted here a little bit, but I susspect maybe it needs a slight shift everywhere. I love the idea of natural monster increase, I do. But the speed in which this seems to be increasing (especially in an rp server) is a little silly.
It seems to be less of a case of 'If a group of adventures do not go into this area once per ooc day, then the monsters will increase' and more like 'If people are not continuously circle grinding this area, then the monsters will increase.'

So yes, slow up the progression a little please. Especially in the peninsula.

(And, as above, disreguard if all this is down to resource dropping)

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:29 pm

I think, due to the UD having a much lower population, the balance may be more difficult to figure than on Surface. Much agreed, as I stated earlier on the previous forums - the Peninsula is out of whack.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:07 pm

Concur. I know some players that have completely lost interest in the UD because of this. We just don't have the same playerbase. Populations seem to be growing out of whack as a result.

William Steele

Post by William Steele » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:20 pm

hire surfacers to take care of your problem.

and by hire, i mean enslave.

and by take care of, i mean make a wall of corpses to keep them back.

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:38 pm

Enslave requires ooc consent. The same people who stay away from the UD because of the spawns, will refuse on a surfacer to be enslaved.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:56 pm

There isn't a general problem here... but it looks like the peninsula needs adjustment, for a couple of reasons. Will take a look when I'm back.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:36 am

Yeah; the peninsula is the biggest issue. The sewers seemed perhaps problematic for a while, though the huge influx of warlock lowbies has resolved that for the time-being.

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:03 pm

"Go forth, slaves, and kill slimes!"
(Seems to have worked fine for Andunor. But not the Peninsula. Thanks Mithreas!)
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:24 am

Actually the sewer issue was an issue for a different reason, it wasn't just the spawn script thing.

Without giving things away, there was a issue that required a player to use an AOE damaging spell/item to help things flow better.

Masterfully done whichever DM did it. if it was indeed the script. I'm even more impressed but also slightly concerned as there is a limit to the number of classes that can actually do aoe damaging spells and those items are generally rare chest drops.
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.