Alterations to Flame Wep, Darkfire, and Keen Edge

A place to file suggestions that have been completed.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

TimeAdept

Alterations to Flame Wep, Darkfire, and Keen Edge

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:03 am

Three spells that are woefully underused now, except as Template fodder. Let's turn some useless spells into something useful, and without stepping on GMW's niche.

Flame Weapon + Darkfire:
Adds +1 AB and +2 damage every 6 CL, from +1/+1 at CL 6 or less, +1/+2 at CL 7 to 11, +2/+4 at levels 12-17, and capping at +3 AB and +6 elemental damage at CL 18.
Connects to Elemental -stream command, and allows the caster to choose between fire, ice, electric, or acid damage based on the current elemental stream chosen. If no stream is chosen, it defaults to fire.

Keen Edge:
Adds +1 AB, Keen, and 1d4 massive criticals at CL 6 or less. CL 7-11 is +2 AB, Keen, 1d8 massive criticals. CL 12-17 is +3 AB, Keen, and 2d6 Massive Criticals, and CL 18+ is +4 AB, Keen, and 2d8 massive criticals.

These spells now allow the wielder to choose from a variety of effects: GMW gives the highest AB and decent damage in all physical form. Flame Wep/Darkfire allow the wielder to make an "elemental Damask" weapon with less AB but damage that can exploit elemental weaknesses. Keen Edge allows the wielder to make a "Magic Greensteel" weapon that has slightly higher AB, but can't be enchanted to have base damage, and instead does much more damage on critical hits, to make up for not having "real damage", and to account for it not working vs crit immune foes.

The numbers can of course be tweaked and the scaling be touched up, but the general idea is to add some usefulness to the weapons, like how the paladin and ranger spells have been buffed up, and give players more options than just Bronze GMW.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Alterations to Flame Wep, Darkfire, and Keen Edge

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:06 am

This is a good suggestion. I'll be making use of this.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.