Golems overhaul, kind of...

A place to file suggestions that have been completed.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Orian_666

Golems overhaul, kind of...

Post by Orian_666 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:04 am

Hello, first of all I don't think the current Golems should be changed. My proposal is to simply add more to the system as it is.
I think the Golems currently are one of the better, under-used, features on Arelith and that's simply because they're mostly just for show after mid game. With such a large investment into making a Golem no one wants to risk it dying and being completely lost to them.

So my suggestion is as follows, it's a big one so bare with me.
First of all make Control Stones craftable. Or make a new item called a Control Rod or something like that that's craftable. The main reason for this is that you could intend on making a Golem for someone all you like but if you don't find a stone or people aren't selling them then hard luck. I haven't seen a control stone in a shop in over a month RL.
The recipe though should reflect that it is a pretty powerful magical item, it controls a Golem after all. So i'd suggest it be as follows
Golem Control Rod:
Alchemy DC 22+
70 Crafting Points
1 Diamond
1 Brass Ingot
1 Alchemist's Catalyst (Lesser)
1 Dominate Monster (scroll)

Now with that out of the way lets talk about the Golems themselves.
I would like it if a Golem was killed that it doesn't simply cease to exist, I propose that like the fixture update they can be repaired and re-bound. On death they'd drop a loot corpse and in that loot corpse there may be a few items not unlike what you'd find on the Golems in Glorag Mur, but also a larger item weighing around the same as the parts for the Golem in question. This new item can be brought to a crafting bench relevant to the type of Golem so a forge for iron, art crafting station for stone or bone, and then repaired. Once repaired they've to be bound once more by the control rod.
Some sort of material cost could be added to this. Like a new heart, or a third or quarter of the original materials (5 Iron Ingots for example).

And now onto the final, and largest, part of this suggestion.
Simply, more Golems.
Currently I think the Golems that we have are perfectly good and shouldn't be changed, I just think there should be more of them, more options and variety each with different abilities, stats, and skills. So here are my suggested Golems and their stats etc, some stronger and some weaker also. Maybe even a simple helper Golem for fancy RP, who knows :D

*keep in mind pretty much all of these numbers/stats are off the top of my head, or based on Vanilla NWN Golems as well as Arelith Golems to an extent, or based on how strong/weak I feel they should be for the Arelith setting based on their rarity and difficulty to obtain, all are obviously subject to change.
**On top of all the crafting requirements stated below a Golem Heart is also obviously required.

Adamantine Golem:
HP 550
AC 41
Fort 26
Ref 12
Will 18
AB 39/34/29/24
Damage 5-40+16 (20/x3)
Construct, DR 15/- DR 25/+5, SR 30, 30% Physical Immunity, 50% Acid Vulnerability, 50% Sonic Vulnerability, 20/- Fire Resistance, 20/- Cold Resistance, 20/- Electrical Resistance, 20/- Negative Resistance, 20/- Positive Resistance, 20/- Divine Resistance. Ability: Fear Aura (lesser).
Crafting - Golem Parts (Adamantine) - Forging DC 50, 15 Adamantine Ingots and 5 Mithral Ingots, 400 Crafting Points.

Mithral Golem:
HP 370
AC 30
Fort 19
Ref 15
Will 12
AB 32/27/22
Damage 3-24+12 (20/x2)
Construct, DR 15/+3, SR 22, 50% Piercing Immunity, 15% Bludgeoning and Slashing Immunity, 50% Acid Vulnerability 50% Sonic Vulnerability. Ability: Perma-Haste
Crafting - Golem Parts (Mithral) - Forging DC 38, 15 Mithral Ingots, 280 Crafting Points.

Greensteel Golem:
HP 320
AC 30
Fort 16
Ref 6
Will 13
AB 30/25/20
Damage 2-20+10 (15-20/x3)
Construct, DR 15/+3, Light Aura Green Low, 20% Physical Immunity, 50% Acid Vulnerability, 50% Sonic Vulnerability, On Critical hit fort save vs DC 22 or be stunned for 1 round (if such a thing is possible).
Crafting - Golem Parts (Greensteel) - Forging DC 32, 15 Greensteel Ingots, 195 Crafting Points.

Treant/Wooden Golem:
HP 110
AC 16
Fort 8
Ref 5
Will 9
AB 17/12/7
Damage 2-20+5 (20/x2)
Construct, DR 5/-, DR 10/+3, SR 12, Regeneration +3, Regeneration Aura +1, 25% Piercing Immunity, 25% Bludgeoning Immunity, 50% Slashing Vulnerability, 50% Acid Vulnerability, 100% Fire Vulnerability, 100/- Cold Resistance.
Crafting - Golem Parts (Wood) - Carpentry DC 18, 10 Hardwood and 10 Softwood, 25 Crafting Points.

Emerald/Ruby/Diamond Golems:
HP 350/300/250
AC 37/34/31
Fort 16/14/12
Ref 9/8/7
Will 14/12/10
AB [E] 33/28/23. [R] 31/26/21. [D] 29/24/19
[E] Damage 4-35+11 (20/x2)
[R] Damage 3-30+9 (20/x2)
[D] Damage 2-25+7 (20/x2)
[All] Construct, DR 8/-, 20% Physical Immunity, SR 18, 50% Sonic Vulnerability.
[E] DR 15/+5, 100% Acid Immunity, On Hit [Something similar to the Spellsword acid imbue, Acid damage over time], Fort save DC 26.
[R] DR 20/+3, 100% Fire Immunity, On Hit Lower AC by 3, Fort save DC 23.
[D] DR 15/+3, 100% Cold Immunity, On Hit -1APR for 2 rounds, Fort save DC 20.
Crafting - Golem Parts ([Insert Gem Here]) - Art Crafting DC 34/30/26, 15 [Insert Gem Here] and 1 Greater Alchemists Catalyst, 285/250/215 Crafting Points.

Battle Golem: (Helmed Horror Model with red underglow thingy)
HP 310
AC 34
Fort 21
Ref 6
Will 12
AB 37/32/27/22
Damage 2d6+15 +4Fire (17-20/x2) [Greatsword]
Construct, DR 8/-, DR 15/+3, SR 22, 50% Slashing Immunity, 50% Piercing Immunity, 50% Bludgeoning Vulnerability, 50% Acid Vulnerability, 25% Electrical Vulnerability, 25/- Fire Resistance, 25/- Cold Resistance. Ability: Fear Aura (lesser)
Crafting - Golem Parts (Battle Golem) - Forging DC 34, 5 Iron Ingots and 10 Steel ingots and 1 Greater Magic Weapon (scroll), 140 Crafting Points.

Guardian Golem: (Helmed Horror Model with blue underglow thingy)
HP 480
AC 39
Fort 26
Ref 4
Will 15
AB 32/27/22
Damage 2d6+11 (19-20/x2) [Greatsword]
Construct, DR 15/-, DR 20/+3, SR 26, 50% Slashing Immunity, 50% Piercing Immunity, 20% Bludgeoning Vulnerability, 50% Acid Vulnerability, 25% Electrical Vulnerability, 35/- Fire Resistance, 35/- Cold Resistance. Ability: Cast Spell Mantle on Cooldown (no idea what your current cooldown timers for something like this are, so have at it)
Crafting - Golem Parts (Guardian Golem) - Forging DC 34, 5 Iron Ingots and 10 Steel ingots and 1 Minor Globe of Invulnerability (scroll), 140 Crafting Points.
*Can be ordered to guard the owner much like a Shadow Dancers summoned shadow guards them.

Clay Golem:
HP 120
AC 22
Fort 11
Ref 4
Will 8
AB 18/13
Damage 2-20+3 (20/x2)
Construct, DR 10/+3, Regeneration +5, 20% Physical Immunity, 100% Fire Immunity, 20/- Cold Resistance, 20/- Acid Resistance, 20/- Electrical Resistance, 50% Sonic Vulnerability. Ability: Hold Person DC 22 On Cooldown.
Crafting - Golem Parts (Clay) - Art Crafting DC 20, 15 Clay, 30 Crafting Points.

Glass Golem:
HP 99
AC 26
Fort 9
Ref 11
Will 12
AB 22/17/12
Damage 2-20+9 (19-20/x2)
Construct, DR 5/+3 SR 32, 75% Piercing Immunity, 75% Slashing Immunity, 100% Bludgeoning Vulnerability, 100% Fire Immunity, 50/- Cold Resistance, 50/- Acid Resistance, 50/- Electrical Resistance, 100% Sonic Vulnerability. Ability: Perma-Freedom
Crafting - Golem Parts (Glass) - Art Crafting DC 28, 30 Glass, 66 Crafting Points.

Minogon Golem:
Current stats for in game Minogons from the Minogon factory should suffice. I don't know all their exact stats so the crafting requirements should reflect that, thus I would leave that to the dev team to flesh out.

and finally the very nasty
Flesh Golem:
HP 65
AC 16
Fort 4
Ref 8
Will 8
AB 14/9
Damage 2-15+6 (20/x2)
Construct, DR 5/-, DR 20/+1, SR 12, 25% Piercing Immunity, 50% Slashing Vulnerability, 25% Bludgeoning Immunity, 100% Fire Vulnerability, 50% Sonic Immunity, Vampiric Regeneration +4.
Crafting - Golem Parts (Flesh) - Herbalism DC 15, 15 Medium Meat, 40 Crafting Points.

Along with the Golems i'm suggesting here i'd also suggest we rework the requirements for Golem Crafting. The current Golems plus the ones suggested here could be categorized into tiers, from 1 to 3, and the requirements to craft each tier could be as follows:
Tier 1: SF: Transmutation and Caster Level 10.
Tier 2: GSF: Transmutation and Caster Level 15.
Tier 3: ESF: Transmutation and Caster Level 20.

Some may think certain Golems here may be a bit too powerful for when it comes to PvP (looking at you Addy Golem) but keep in mind they generally have a pretty damn large material investment and even though with my suggestion they can be repaired they don't necessarily have to be repaired by the original owner. If you lose PvP with your Addy Golem then expect the victor to pick up the pieces, buy a Control Rod, do some quick repairs, and then make that thing their own. Think wisely when deciding whether or not to bring your Addy Golems to battle.
It's the main reason why the Battle and Guardian ones, though still decently strong, are fairly cheaper. Those'll be the throw away golems for PvP in my eyes :)
Even in PvE tbh it's worth noting that if your golem dies you're stuck with what will very likely be a very very heavy item to haul around if you want to repair it. Or just lens out there and then, it could end the adventure entirely. So though some are strong they also bring the risk of needing to leave your journey if they die so they can be repaired.

EDIT:
I just thought of one more thing i'd like to add.
If it's at all possible it'd be great if there was a dialogue option that could be used on Golems that've been removed from your party (so you can keep them somewhere safe), as well as if they're inside a residence your player owns, that allows you to give it some simple commands. For example you could command it to attack anything that enters your residence illegally (check for entry after the door was lockpicked/bashed) if they can find that person, of course.
Some other nice dialogue options would be that if you have to leave the golem out in the open somewhere for a little while you could set it to certain modes.
Passive means that no matter what happens it'll stand still, even if it's being killed.
Defensive would be one where it fights back against anything that attacked it, but not leave the zone to give chase, and if it kills anything that attacked it it'll return to where it was left.
Aggressive would be where it will attack and kill anything that comes in range of it that's set as hostile (Player Characters become hostile to it upon attacking it). Though still not leaving the zone, and also returning to where it was left once it kills any threats or they run away.
This addition does seem, to me, like it'd be a whole lot of work just by itself, but here's hoping anyway.
Thank you.

miesny_jez

Re: Golems overhaul, kind of...

Post by miesny_jez » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:07 am

New Golem system is in progress.. just got sidelined