Nycaloth

A place to file suggestions that have been completed.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Nycaloth

Post by cornelius_4 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:37 pm

The nycaloth is well made flavour wise (in reading the monster manual it has wounding and looks like a gargoyle, excellent!), but appears to be the worst option of the 3 fiends.

Crit chance: 17-20 x 3 vs 16-20 x 3 for Gelugon and Glabrezu
Damage: 1-8 + 14 vs 1-8 + 15 for Gelugon and Glabrezu
Saves [F,R,W]: 17,17,14 vs 17,17,18 for Gelugon and 17,17,15 Glabrezu
Feats: dodge vs cleave for Gelugon and Great Cleave, Overwhelming Critical for Glabrezu (all 3 have knockdown + blindfight)
Special abilities: wounding vs regen, slow, cone of cold, fear aura (gelugon) and improved invisibility for glabrezu.

The nycaloth appears lose in every department (although I might prefer dodge to cleave), especially for special abilities as many creatures will be immune to the wounding and it has no defensive ability (improved invis protects glabrezu, slow, regen and fear aura all can also help the gelugon take less damage), but the lower crit chance and will save matters too.

For tough enemies I would chose the glabrezu for it's 50%, miss chance. For general-purpose mayhem, the gelugon for it's regen and many extra abilities. The nycaloth I would only take against melf's acid sheath casters for it's immunity to acid.

I think the simple solution is to allow the nycaloth greater ac than the other two fiends. Another option (while still keeping it to lore which is awesome) would be to allow it to summon lesser Yogoloths (if this is possible? Maybe they can be hencmen).

Peppermint

Re: Nycaloth

Post by Peppermint » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Good catch. Updated stat block:
* Nycaloth (T:5)
Hit Points: 259
AC: 30
Saves: (F) 17 (R) 17 (W) 16
AB: 32/27/22/17
Damage: 1-8+15 (16-20/x3)
Feats: Blind Fight, Dodge, Knockdown
Properties: DR 5/+3, 10% Physical Immunity, Spell Resistance 28, On Hit: Wounding (DC 26)
Abilities: Improved Invisibility (CD)
This gives the Nycaloth somewhat comparable offensive/defensive capabilities to the Glabrezu. It trades Overwhelming Critical and Cleave for Dodge and a bit more AB than its counterpart.

Lore-wise, Improved Invisibility is intended to emulate the Nycaloth's Invisibility/Mirror Image abilities from PnP.