Experience

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Alchuilas

Experience

Post by Alchuilas » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:00 am

I feel like a small change in how quickly one accumulates experience points would ease the burden on several fronts.

Being one of those people that weren't fond of the sudden appearance of high level spawns, in a low level area, it isn't that I dislike the uncertainty -- I actually think that the person who mentioned seeing kobolds in the cordor mines being wiped out in genocide, to then be replaced periodically by bandits, was an awesome idea. Novelty breeds entertainment, and that's what games are all about.

What I dislike though is that it takes so long to level, that one little undue surprise like that, sets your character back weeks to months, in accumulated experience.

So often, character development doesn't match your mechanical leveling. Especially for those of us who only have time to a few hours every week -- would be lucky to reach epic by a year's time, much less level thirty.

I feel like this topic addresses many 'fronts' in that it also touches on topics like Death, and characters that hang around far too long. I strongly feel like the main reason for this, is because no one wants that boorish progress of leveling up again. You're already high level, just stick with this one.

Those being the case, there are two ways this could be suggested; either boosting the EXP given by spawns, or increase the base RPR bonuses. Far-be-it from me to say the first is a bad idea, if the DEV's should decide to go that direction, but that seems like it would promote more grinding, less role-play. The best option being all around increases in RPR.

Something significant. Instead of 10-20-30-40-50 ... Why not instead 20-40-60-80 ?

More cushion against surprise deaths, and not at the cost of those who favor role-playing. Moreover with it being just a smidge easier to level up, others won't be so discouraged against creating new characters.

Undoubtedly someone will give the unhelpful remark along the lines of, "I think it's fine. Don't change it!" But fortunately for them, leveling up is voluntary.

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Experience

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:03 am

80+20 would be like 100 xp every six minutes. That's too high, I think.

The population system I imagine is still being looked at, so some tweaks to balance could certainly be in the works as time goes on.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:03 am

This reply I'm making is not really a suggestion or aimed at your suggestion or even you, but it's relevant to slow leveling things I have heard: If you want to level fast, don't take positive ECLs.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:18 am

The progression speed on Arelith has been hotly debated a great number of times. Speaking personally, I have never actually hit level 30, so you'd think I'd be in favour of upping the rate a little.

I'm not.

The slow progression is deliberate, and achieves a few purposes.
- Firstly, it's relatively hard to 'run out' of progression on Arelith - your character's story is likely to end first, for most players. That's a good thing - it means you still have space to adjust to RP changes in your characters.
- Secondly, it strongly dissuades trolls and griefers from leveling a character up to cause trouble and then doing something banworthy. It's a lot of time investment for one moment of trolling.
- Thirdly, it gives ECLs a real cost, rather than being auto takes.
- Fourthly, it encourages story-focused players, rather than mechanical progression-focused players. Most of us have some of both tendency in us, but Arelith deliberately feeds the former rather than the latter, which in turn affects the way people play. (You may not agree with this - but based on my observations over 10 years plus of DMing and admining across multiple servers, I've found it to be true).

So - we have no desire to adjust the speed of leveling here.

-Mith
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.