Hiding Evil Nature should ACTIVE not passive.

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Simondelsolis

Hiding Evil Nature should ACTIVE not passive.

Post by Simondelsolis » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:29 am

I know I'm going to upset players and moderators by bringing this up again.

Paladin Detect Evil is SO BROKEN.

I was recently involved in a RP situation...2 Paladins talking with woman who roleplayed "corruption radiates off of her". One of those Paladins was an Epic level Cleric/ Paladin, spent the 100 experience and the piety and came up with...NO EVIL detected.

We detected NO EVIL so we assumed she was diseased. Imagine our surprise when "Cure Disease" didn't work.

The evil player confirmed via tells, the character is in fact a BLACKGUARD!...
Blackguards should RADIATE Evil, much like paladins are supposed to Radiate Good.
The Will Save to HIDE Evil Status is especially Broken because Blackguards which are the "Epitome of Evil" can passively hide their evilness....and let us not forget, Blackguards get "Dark Blessing", or BONUS to SAVING THROWS.

Giving a Saving Throw to HIDE EVIL from Paladins is simply broken. It PREVENTS Roleplay to proceed as it should.

I suggest instead of make Evil players that wish to HIDE their Evilness, use the Disguise function. This way Paladins would NEED to Penetrate the Disguise AND detect Evil to see if a person is evil.

Making Evil Characters be Disguised to hide their Evil nature is more realistic. Because disguise is not just changing clothes, etc, its' also changing behavior characteristics to hide the true nature of the person.

Hiding one's evil nature should be an ACTIVE process, NOT a Passive process.

Hiding one's EVIL nature should be more difficult the more powerful a character is in a given Evil profession. A level 20 (10 fighter/10 BG) should be VERY difficult...and lvl 30 (10 figher/20 BG) should be IMPOSSIBLE to hide evil nature without magical assistance.

For those that say "people will automatically assume evil if they see my character disguised" I say leave the XP cost in place.....I know LOTS of Good characters that will walk around Disguised for simple reason like to demonstrate the role they have...."Hunter" "Dawnbringer"; shadowy figure, Ghostly halfing.