Hostile environments

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Winter83

Hostile environments

Post by Winter83 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:47 pm

I think it would be cool if certain areas had threatening properties, which can enhance RP --> Like preparation to the area where you are going.

Deserts of Sibayad - A small ammount of fire damage over time. Add some desert garbs to NPCs and some to the crafting matrix that offers fire resistance.
Mountain areas (the colder it gets the higher you go) - Some of the spires are already marked no rest zone. Add a small ammount of cold damage that can wear down the unprepared.
Dark areas, tunnels, underdark - Some morale debuff for those without light or darkvision. Like -2 to will, or even more if you progress deeper. Always found it strange that races without darkvision can traverse dark places without a problem. Bring a torch :lol:
Similar can be applied to unholy places, or undead infested tombs. Uneasyness. Which can be negated by protection from evil for instance. I can imagine nauseating stench lowering fortitude.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Hostile environments

Post by Mithreas » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Baator has this in the Minauros layer.

We use it very sparingly (and on the UD server only) because heartbeat scripts like this are bad for performance.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Tathkar Eisgrim

Post by Tathkar Eisgrim » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:07 pm

Talosian Wands of Weather Control (Hostile Effects) for DM's? As an alternative? So they can zap players. Well, when ever they feel like it.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:08 pm

It'd be nifty if there was a global -# penalty to certain stats for underdarkers in the surface and vice versa, either out of fear, discomfort or whatever.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:25 pm

Only if the same applied to surfacers underground (higher penalty the deeper you go). Except Dwarves. They like caves.

Still - this isn't going to happen. It comes up every year or so, and the reason is always the same - this sort of dynamic status effect based on location is very hard to code in a way that's performance efficient and bug free. It won't add enough to be worth it.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

DM_Ironfist

Post by DM_Ironfist » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:26 pm

I would like to second the call for the DM's to be able to do this for a limited time in specific areas during events, however.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:40 pm

I assume you have already thought of this, but I guess creating a new [Underdark] tag wouldn't be efficient or bug free. And yeah, I meant that surfacers underground would also suffer with the 'vice versa'.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:43 pm

It's not the tag. It's applying the effect and checking when to remove it, and policing its interaction with spells, resting, potions etc.