The Unarmed Warrior Path prt. II

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Anime Sword Fighter

The Unarmed Warrior Path prt. II

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:19 pm

The non-spiritual warrior who overpowers his enemies with brute strength, the tribal strongman who forgoes the training of the standard weaponry for his fists. The bouncer for a tavern. The champion boxer. This person has trained their body to be a weapon as well as any other.

A path available to Rogues & Barbarians.
Gives:
+(REQUIRES GLOVES TO BE EQUIPPED) +1 Attack Bonus & +1 Damage Bonus (Bludgeoning) to Unarmed Attacks every 3 Levels. (3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24,27,30)
+REQUIRES BOOTS TO BE EQUIPPED +1 Discipline every 3 levels; legs can be used just as much as fists when fighting, and you need good balance
+Gives the feat Improved Unarmed Strike at level 1

-Restricted to Light & Medium armour (Cannot use Heavy)
-Restricted to Simple weapons (Cannot use Rogue, Druid, Martial, Exotic, Monk, Wizard, etc.)
-Cannot use Shields
-Helmets equipped receive a -4 to Spot & Search, you need a full field of vision to be able to fist fight well.
Last edited by Anime Sword Fighter on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: The Unarmed Warrior Path prt. II

Post by Mithreas » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:26 pm

Sorry, I just find it pretty silly when a bar brawler is taking on a dragon. I have no appetite to do an unarmed barbarian path.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:37 pm

decrease it to +1 every five levels, remove Helmet -4 and Heavy Armour restriction

AND MONKS THEY DO IT DAMMIT I JUST WANT TO PLAY MY BODYBUILDER

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:13 pm

To be fair, some sort of non monk unarmed path would be nice. Not necessarily a barbarian path. Maybe a fighter path with the new buffs?

Many characters, not necessarily in DnD, have successfuly managed to pull an "unarmed fighter" style without delving into monk business while not being silly or immersion breaking. A bar brawler slaying a dragon unarmed is not stranger than what happens in Arelith anyway.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:23 pm

"No" means "no", guys.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:41 pm

99 no's and 1 yes means yes, as proven by the fighter buff O_O

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:07 pm

I think barbarians need a completely different approach to set them apart from rangers and fighters. Those two classes both outplay the barbarian from a mechanic role as well as any sort of supplementary nuanced roleplay.

Where's that DE suggestion about totems?
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:26 pm

I'd like to see barbarians get abilities like Wounding Whispers etc - sure you can hit me, but it's going to hurt you. Rage and DR sum up the mechanical niche they fill well - they should hit hard but get hit hard, and be better than other classes at shrugging off hits.

Really tough to get that balanced, because it's easy to either make it overpowered or useless.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:48 am

That's why I think barbarians are a class worthy of fast healing. It isn't "shrugging off hits" in the truest sense of the word, but.

How much lag does fast healing induce? And does the amount of hp healed per round induce more or less lag?
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:54 am

Something akin to what hamatulas have?

It'd also be interesting if it was tied to barbarian rage, assuming tribesmen are buffed accordingly so they don't suck.

...I'll make a new thread.