Monks dominating their needs for water and food

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Monks dominating their needs for water and food

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:35 am

In view of the great domain and balance that monks can reach on their minds and bodies (mind above body), which is already documented in real life, is that they needed to consume less food and less waters down to survive.

Maybe, a 3% reduction (per each monk level) on what the characters loss per tick (6 minutess) so they experienced a slowly lose of organic resources?

Then, a perfect level 30 monk could only require a 10% of the water and food that other common persons requires to survive...

Real samples:
:arrow: As, Herbert Benson, teacher of medicine of the Harvard Medical School, who has studied the case of the tibetan monks, they can reduce in 64 % their needs of oxygen.

The modern conditions of life, the heating, the habit of the work, between other reasons, have removed us from this capacity. Though still the last hibernators exist, for example in the Tibet, where the monks on having pondered and to be to low temperatures manage to activate the way hiernación.

On having reduced their metabolic activity, the food and drink needs also diminish of drastic form.

This is something that, in my opinion, fits with Monks and that could help them also in RP meanings

Speaker: "Hey Amadeo, do you never eat or drink? I rarely saw you doing that..."

Amadeo Pneuma: *He directs a calm look for him and with a smile in the face, reply: the one who learns to dominate his body, learns to submit the hunger and the thirst"

--------------------------------------------

I could give this aswell to the druids reaching the Archidruid rank (elvel 21 druid and above, perhaps) as it is documented in tradition and folklore tales about celtic druids than the highest of them had the ability to hibernate in their groves.

Cheers!
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

LittleWeasel
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Monks dominating their needs for water and food

Post by LittleWeasel » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:26 am

There is already a way in game, where you can survive without ever having to eat or drink.
Don't take Life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive...
Mind over Matter... now that I don't have a mind, it doesn't matter...
Ware the Wrath of the Weasel:
*nibble*
*cluck*

TeeHeeTummyTums

Post by TeeHeeTummyTums » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:03 pm

LittleWeasel wrote:There is already a way in game, where you can survive without ever having to eat or drink.
For monks only, correct?

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:30 pm

Is there? besides dieing? ;)
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:33 pm

TeeHeeTummyTums wrote:
LittleWeasel wrote:There is already a way in game, where you can survive without ever having to eat or drink.
For monks only, correct?
Ahem... *prays*

Still, given the suggestion's nature, it is important to note the tibetan monks aren't -MYSTICALLY- able to do that more than others, it is a measure of discipline.

Discipline.

Plus, monks don't need more powers beyond RPed in any scenario, really (if ever there was an "ace of all trades"...), and we also fail to remember that the entire Food-hunger-rest system is an antichrist to RP half of the time, anyway. (I remain emoting the same *ties boots* every time I rest... and name one person that's not quaffed four whole canteens and a full day's rations in the middle of a venture across red dragon isle)

... though, the above said, key it to the discipline skill. Monks that really want to can do this, but then it'd open the place up for others as well, which'd make sense given the skill's implication of rigorous trainings and headstrong resilience. Possibly key it to constitution as well.

I'd make a character that was built just to spite the makers of that system.
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:55 pm

whoa now... if a monk's DISCIPLINE allows them to go without food or water... then the TRAINING of a RANGER should be able to provide FOOD and FRESH WATER for his entire adventuring party, as per pretty much EVERY D&D text ever written about Rangers, from 1st edition to kabillion'th edition.

*Crosses arms in a satisfactorily confident manner, then begins his hunger-strike*
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

William Steele

Post by William Steele » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:44 am

wouldn't a slower metabolism be counterproductive to the monk's abilities? they should be like the character's from the dragonball z series, and need more food/water than everyone else!

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:38 am

The Kriv wrote:whoa now... if a monk's DISCIPLINE allows them to go without food or water... then the TRAINING of a RANGER should be able to provide FOOD and FRESH WATER for his entire adventuring party, as per pretty much EVERY D&D text ever written about Rangers, from 1st edition to kabillion'th edition.

*Crosses arms in a satisfactorily confident manner, then begins his hunger-strike*
They pretty much can, what with plant tending. Not so much the fresh water, but unless another Druid/Ranger has tended a plant, you're almost guaranteed something to eat. Rangers also have access to Remove Disease, which can counteract the effects of bad water.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

farnese
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by farnese » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:05 am

Ascended monks become externals, glowing eyes and all, no penalties from aging and no need to eat and drink. I think the opener makes reference to that, but I'm pretty sure it's another of those dead horses beaten a few times already.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:42 am

farnese wrote:Ascended monks become externals, glowing eyes and all, no penalties from aging and no need to eat and drink. I think the opener makes reference to that, but I'm pretty sure it's another of those dead horses beaten a few times already.
Thank you! I had no idea at all.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:48 am

I don't really see this as a change that 'zomg needs implimenting now!!!' But that said, it is a cool and interesting idea, and I would definatly be for it for high level monks.

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:03 am

Can you just pretend you dont need those? Always eat secretly when none are around?

When hunger catches you on an adventure corner sneak and stealth food into your mouth?

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:46 am

The Rambling Midget wrote: They pretty much can, what with plant tending. Not so much the fresh water...
Barrelstalks!
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

DirtyDeity

Post by DirtyDeity » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:25 pm

This may be true, but I suppose surviving through extreme conditions applies to most any epic adventurer.

As mentioned, this can be accomplished IC already if you wish to RP not eating/drinking. Don't think any change is necessary.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:02 am

I see no reason why you can't Rp not eating and drinking. When I play Grendal he never sleeps: I try to always say *sits and meditates* or something similar. And he never talks about needing rest. It's always he needs to focus or meditate or something else monkish.

Mechanically, you'd probably open up a can of worms trying to make the need for eating drinking and rest balanced according to char classs. Seems like everyone one would need something different.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:02 am

DestroyerOTN wrote:
TeeHeeTummyTums wrote:
For monks only, correct?
Ahem... *prays*

Still, given the suggestion's nature, it is important to note the tibetan monks aren't -MYSTICALLY- able to do that more than others, it is a measure of discipline.

Discipline.

Plus, monks don't need more powers beyond RPed in any scenario, really (if ever there was an "ace of all trades"...), and we also fail to remember that the entire Food-hunger-rest system is an antichrist to RP half of the time, anyway. (I remain emoting the same *ties boots* every time I rest... and name one person that's not quaffed four whole canteens and a full day's rations in the middle of a venture across red dragon isle)

... though, the above said, key it to the discipline skill. Monks that really want to can do this, but then it'd open the place up for others as well, which'd make sense given the skill's implication of rigorous trainings and headstrong resilience. Possibly key it to constitution as well.

I'd make a character that was built just to spite the makers of that system.
Disagree...

I could say discipline + (primary) body and mind trainment (which is exclusive from monks in D&D)

But well... I threw this idea as alternative because I was extremelly bored at work :mrgreen:
I will survive with or without the need to eat and drink a lot or not... I just though could be an interesting sugestion.

*shrugs*
The man of the Moon retires quietly to a corner, out of sight of any other forum reader... and then, he suddenly spam *eat* and *drink* up to 7 food rations and water bottles while nobody was spoting him.

Somewhere, hiding in true shadows, a watching DM rolls on laughs

Thank you