Targeted -dispel command?

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

DaTexican

Targeted -dispel command?

Post by DaTexican » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:10 pm

There might be a way to do this already, but I feel since I have not found anything about it, that this might be a good sudgestion. As it stands the -dispel command dispels ALL buffs you have cast upon yourself or whomever you send the tell to. My suggestion is to add a ending to this perhaps? -dispel Truesight for example. This would remove only the Truesight buff from yourself. Cant tell you how many times you go to do something where you don't need barkskin and stoneskin on you as the visual buffs but you type in -dispel and while thoes do drop, so do all the other buffs you wanted to keep up, along with your animal companion/summons dissapearing. The more ideal way in my opinion would be to make all the buffs visable on your screen (They kinda already are up near the character picture) and make it so that if you say click on one of the buffs, it is dispelled off of you if you cast it.
Be Prepared

Winter83

Re: Targeted -dispel command?

Post by Winter83 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:09 pm

Animal companions are not unsummoned by that command.

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:16 pm

True, but summoned creatures. A summoned creature does not show up as a buff of any sort, and has its own "unsummon" command. Just because i don't want to be a statue when I enter some RP, doesn't mean I don't want my wolf present. I used my summon/animal companion as a central focus on my RP alot of times, as I RP a wolf pack. Sucks that I have to remain a statue/bark person OR lose my summons. IDK it was just a small request that I didn't think would be too difficult to implement.
Be Prepared

DirtyDeity

Post by DirtyDeity » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:37 pm

I concur to this. The times I went off invisible as a mage and had to forfeit all my buffs just to become visible when I reached my destination (Because I was not willing to smash something with a staff to lose it / do not want to be concealed) are beyond count.

If this is a hassle, could be focused only on very visible buff. Invis/conceal/shadowshield/premo/stoneskin/barkskin etc.

+1!

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:49 pm

The problem is mapping your input to a particular spell effect. Spells are identified in the engine by numbers. Adding a lookup table to the 2da to look up by spell name would be expensive, and not always totally accurate (plus you'd need to use exact spell names - e.g. True Seeing not Truesight - and it wouldn't be language-aware, so someone playing the French or Spanish version of the game would need to use the English names, with no easy way to look them up).
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

DirtyDeity

Post by DirtyDeity » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:22 pm

Could make it work with numbers. Just like the Crafting ID. Offer an index in the journal or in the Wiki.

Anyone interested in this solution will look up the numbers of his spells. Directing people to this can be done through naming the dispel command like '-dispel (x)' in the command list?

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:27 pm

DirtyDeity wrote:Could make it work with numbers. Just like the Crafting ID. Offer an index in the journal or in the Wiki.

Anyone interested in this solution will look up the numbers of his spells. Directing people to this can be done through naming the dispel command like '-dispel (x)' in the command list?
I like this idea. Works well with the information I read that Mithreas gave, along with allowing for east transitions between language barriers. Any player who knows their character well would quickly learn the # associated with their most common buffs casts as well, and if put on the wiki would be easily looked up! I like it!
Be Prepared