Monk bonuses.

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Monk bonuses.

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:48 pm

I think Dirty Deity could be right IF

if the said monk had a HIGH wisdom

Monk is just a class that, (I agree) can focuss on the way he said, but as we know, even in a certain class, not all what is shiny is meant to be gold...

Perhaps, there are monks specialized in martial fight (dexers and strenghers) and only a few whose main stat will be wisdom.

Maybe, I could add to the former first propossal the requirement to have 25+ wisdom and then give them that sense of the energies (ki). aka auras' vision, balance, etc. Cause their highest attunement with the energies of the world.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:28 am

Eh... monks that actually -do- max their wisdom are a rare breed. Typically, you'll see them of wisdom around 16-20 and the rest dumped into dex with a weapon finesse. Given AC and AB grows this way, there's no reason not to.

Actually, it's STR based monks that are more likely to -dip- into wisdom, probably even with STR.

... to expect a monk to have that wisdom, you're basically naming dragonshapers. I wish I could lie and say otherwise :P
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:50 am

Wis-based monks are perfectly viable without druid levels. Some go cleric, using Divine Power / Favor and other such buffs to compensate for any lack of AB. They then reap the advantage of +5 premonition-piercing hands that dish out high DC Stun Fists and Quivering Palms.

With the right buffs, WIS monks can exceed the AB and damage done by DEX monks. And both WIS and DEX monks can make use of the dual-kama setup (one uses divine damage buffs, the other uses sneak dice). The biggest advantages of a Dex-based setup, really, are stealth and readiness to engage without buffing.

STR monks are just awful past low levels.

In any case, back on topic: While monks could use some kind of RP perk, I don't believe dipping into the druid -balance command or visualizing auras are the best-fitting options.

I'd rather see some kind of linguistic mastery or fast language learning, as per Tongue of Sun and Moon. Or a clever teleporting command in the spirit of Abundant Step.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

HurinWillSmite

Post by HurinWillSmite » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:57 am

DirtyDeity wrote:+++ This is something I RP, and will RP, regardless of what change may come.
Okay

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:59 am

yellowcateyes wrote:Or a clever teleporting command in the spirit of Abundant Step.
My ancient Katana Monk from forever ago RPed Empty Body as being something similar to this. Through her planar explorations with Blackthorne Sr., she learned to push herself partway into the Ethereal Plane, so that matter would sometimes pass through her. Was fun.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:24 am

There are thousand of approaches to monks. And most would have those "abilities" very out of character.

Monks as a general concept are focusing on the perfection of self. While they -are- perceptive to the environment they live in, its the tool for the very same reason. One categorical difference I see while a druid focuses on the envrionment, a monk on the self. Purity of body and mind. Not nature.

Monks always gave an impression of a bit selfish character. The world can rot around them, while it does not affect the self perfection it is fine. Discipline, control over body and mind.

Its hard to argue about a fantasy concept, so I just state my own opinion. If a monk is so absorbed on self perfection, why would he even notice the "ki" and aura of others?
Knowing how I work is a knowledge that can be extended to a small degree but not completely to others.

High wisdom of monks and attunement to the enviroment in my view is also part of the Self-training. Its not about the enviroment, but how the Self fits into it. I sharpen my senses, so I can fight better. Be in peace with myself better. A sixth sense, which gives them superior speed and agility, to forsee where the next strike coming from.
But it's not about the environment.

Gathering viewpoints ICly can be misguiding, the active characters can have similar viewpoints on the matter, especially that they see each other roleplay, inspire each other, talk with each other both IC / OOC.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:12 am

Winter83 wrote:There are thousand of approaches to monks. And most would have those "abilities" very out of character.

Its hard to argue about a fantasy concept, so I just state my own opinion. If a monk is so absorbed on self perfection, why would he even notice the "ki" and aura of others?
Knowing how I work is a knowledge that can be extended to a small degree but not completely to others.

High wisdom of monks and attunement to the enviroment in my view is also part of the Self-training. Its not about the enviroment, but how the Self fits into it. I sharpen my senses, so I can fight better. Be in peace with myself better. A sixth sense, which gives them superior speed and agility, to forsee where the next strike coming from.
But it's not about the environment.

Gathering viewpoints ICly can be misguiding, the active characters can have similar viewpoints on the matter, especially that they see each other roleplay, inspire each other, talk with each other both IC / OOC.
From my own experience (I am a Reiki Master)...

When you work with real energies, you learn not only about your inner energies, but become more capable to feel outer energies.

The energies flooding through us are not something apart from the own Universe, from the own Nature. by learning how they work and flow thorugh yourself, you learn and awake the sense to feel them, to spot them.

I have not aura's vision, but I am capable to better feel the energies status on people and I can feel their energy aura by aproaching my hands. And allowed to detect if that person had something wrong due to any illness (this doesn't mean that I was capable to make a diagnosis as a medic at all).

of course, I am not an enlightment persona nor allowed to do what a monk level 20 could do...

Anyway Reiki has not a reflect in D&D, but in the Rolegame Club where I was when younger, they made the Animist (Priest extracting their healing powers from the nature and with some monk abilities too).

Also, I know about martial Arts masters who can heal with their own energy, that can also sense the aura of others. Just saying.

You can believe me or just ignore or laugh at this, but from my side, I write this with honestly and knowing someone will just think I am mad.

Said this...
I still thinking that anything related with perception being gifted as a new feature, should require high wisdom to be achieved and not just to have levels of certain class.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:21 pm

Huh ... I always thought monks got plenty of cookies. *nods*
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:58 am

Rattus_norvegicus99 wrote:Huh ... I always thought monks got plenty of cookies. *nods*
Agree... absolutely.

Thank you