add arena in andunor

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Katze

add arena in andunor

Post by Katze » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:53 am

i remember the one in jharrik, which took up the whole map. this grand arena would be very fitting for andunor to allow players to put on their own show that doesnt involve the cage or being stuck within the spider's web, where aoe spells can hit the spectators.
Whatever action one takes IG, con be explained by something logical.

Peppermint

Re: add arena in andunor

Post by Peppermint » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:04 am

Please. Please.

I will use it to death.

Please.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:23 am

While this idea certainly isn't off the table, I am hesitant to see a similar arena to Jahred's added to Andunor.

I witnessed some of the worst RP I've ever seen in that area, players just hanging/running around, hitting each other for the fun of it, and general acting like they'd crossed over into an 'arena' server.

Personally, and I know this isn't server policy, but I can't stand 'no death' areas, as it so often is translated as a 'no-role-play' area.

Seeing people get bludgeoned near to death, or even violently killed, and acting like it's all just a jolly game is totally immersion breaking in a setting that should be fraught with real and imminent danger.

A well role-played arena 'event' can be a fantastic thing, but they are few and far between, and many map areas could already be used for this purpose.

I will consider it though, and discuss it with the others.

Katze

Post by Katze » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:36 am

well, the chars could be portaled to a medical facility nearby when they are defeated
Whatever action one takes IG, con be explained by something logical.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:14 am

I've been thinking along similar lines, a large area, a kind of labyrinth of trenches, where opposing PCs (Or groups of PCS) can enter from any of the four sides, while the viewing public would stand on the level above watching the action. A collector NPC could gather and raise those that have died, barring them from further involvement in the contest.

Something along these lines could provide an area for open space combat/spells, while also providing an arena in which people can role-play PVP events.

Generally I'm just looking for ideas that don't impact realism, or encourage people to idly stand around pwning each other for laughs.

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:41 pm

well the realism part may come in with the point that Cordor has an arena, UD had an arena but lost it, UD now has slave pit fights, but the area is super small. So an area that is an arena makes sense in my head.

Probably something the dev's are looking into putting and figuring out placement and such
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:01 pm

As a compromise, how about an "arena" area where PCs still die?

For big events, we could request DM assistance to set it to no death.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Add an arena merchant that sells Arena Wards or something, one use item that upon "death" in the arena, it works as it does in a no death zone.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:44 pm

Irongron wrote:I've been thinking along similar lines, a large area, a kind of labyrinth of trenches, where opposing PCs (Or groups of PCS) can enter from any of the four sides, while the viewing public would stand on the level above watching the action. A collector NPC could gather and raise those that have died, barring them from further involvement in the contest.

Something along these lines could provide an area for open space combat/spells, while also providing an arena in which people can role-play PVP events.

Generally I'm just looking for ideas that don't impact realism, or encourage people to idly stand around pwning each other for laughs.

This! :D So full of win!
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:05 pm

The underdark. We speak of "people" (complete monsters) that take their killing games as a serious matter. We -do- need some distancing from cordor to keep them distinct from the rivvil and an air of immersion-preservence and environmental appropriateness about. A proposal or two, to that end:

-For the arena itself, there is a specific 5x4 or something of the like toolset item which generates an arena something akin to the roman colliseum. Finding a place to stick this will burn the eyes of the devs like the nine from -hours- of staring, but some placeable touchups, bloodstains, NPC audiences, sounds, environment colorations, and a few added areas later, it would be the -bomb- for this manner of thing. -MODEL- and capitalize off of said gladiatorial model as follows below

-Set it up so as to facilitate it as a new area of andunor which the districts can acquire. Appropriate for size. District ownership allows some measure of profit to be held for events and such. Betting imps implemented. Imps collect lost bets as tax toward the district owning, but victorious ones do nothing.

-Aim to get -some- interraction with the slave system placed in, perhaps a slave caller within the arena for the purpose of summoning one's slaves to fight. Perhaps making prison collars usable in the same manner here as with the cage. It lies to debate, but I feel that urge.

(now getting to the either-ors and handling of death)

-Cause a script to initiate on death that, rather than simply make death impossible, heals any that fall to 0 1 point per round, counterracting the timer. This way, noone "dies" in such the way they may not be gotten up.. but noone sits around imagining that there is nothing going on either. Undeniably, that guy you just hit with a hellball is on his way to kelemvor IC, and you should probably help him out soon or he -might- not stagger back up. Further clarity with an auto-emote or some sign that such is the appropriate reception

-Cause death to generate no corpse within an arena environment. Rather, when an arena kill occurs, hold an emote to something of the likes of *The corpse of the fallen lies there, bleeding a time, before a trapdoor is opened, the body descending into a pile below... (alternative: being dragged off by (insert scripted NPC here that actually shows up) to somewhere...)*. Following this, the player is either revived without penalty in an area "below the arena" (which ideally would, as well, act as a part of where they enter as challengers.), OR their corpse is dropped below with ability to be revived.
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:44 am

Please, please, please, can we get a Colosseum.

Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:49 am

It'd be funny to see matrons pulling thumbs up/thumbs down scenarios...

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:01 pm

-Aim to get -some- interraction with the slave system placed in, perhaps a slave caller within the arena for the purpose of summoning one's slaves to fight. Perhaps making prison collars usable in the same manner here as with the cage. It lies to debate, but I feel that urge.
Mad point - if a slave caller was put here... and we used an entirely new area for this arena... then I suggest of all places, putting it on the Cordor Server. That way there's a slave callre on each server, and slaves cannot simply 'hide' in Cordor to escape.

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:41 pm

Yma23 wrote:
Mad point - if a slave caller was put here... and we used an entirely new area for this arena... then I suggest of all places, putting it on the Cordor Server. That way there's a slave callre on each server, and slaves cannot simply 'hide' in Cordor to escape.
... glory
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server