PC Dragons

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

PC Dragons

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:56 am

Should get a boost to their save against, or immunity to, Dragon Fear Aura.

Because it's not as scary when you're one of them.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

IndifferentPerson

Re: PC Dragons

Post by IndifferentPerson » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:32 am

Why not just give them fear immunity? It's a bit of a niche mind category and makes sense, it's a 5% anyway.

zeylin17
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by zeylin17 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:48 am

even dragons can be scared. maybe not in forgotten realms. but dragonlance they sure could :D

Valo65

Post by Valo65 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:23 am

I am going to laugh if I ever see some level 30 dragon PC get feared by the white dragon on the way to Brog by rolling a 1.

... But yeah, dragons should have immunity to fear, and honestly all the usual dragon immunities. Not that they can't be scared, but simply put the usual sources of fear aren't going to work on them.
No one expects the Elvish Inquisition!

HurinWillSmite

Post by HurinWillSmite » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:19 am

Let's just leave the dragon-PCs as they are. They get a huge boost and I'm sure they're not crying because they don't have fear immmunity. What's next? immunity to sneak attack? Let's also give them the wingspam ability XD.

Kashisjonny

Post by Kashisjonny » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:45 am

What is all this about PC Dragons not feeling fear??
I need to step my game up
Wishes : Wall-E is Cyborg Jesus.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:41 am

HurinWillSmite wrote:Let's just leave the dragon-PCs as they are. They get a huge boost and I'm sure they're not crying because they don't have fear immmunity. What's next? immunity to sneak attack? Let's also give them the wingspam ability XD.
Agree.

Too much for a 5% roll...

But I would see with good eyes giving them that fear immunity only when they were in their draconic shape, because when they shape into other minor mortal beings, they get weakened.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:46 am

I do not agree that dragons should be immune to fear, however I do agree that due to their immense arrogance, they should have strong bonuses to saving against fear.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:21 am

zeylin17 wrote:even dragons can be scared. maybe not in forgotten realms. but dragonlance they sure could :D
The Dragonlance dragons are not dragons but fat lizards -_-
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

zeylin17
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by zeylin17 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:56 pm

Man on the Moon! I accept our duel!

P.S. people that are taking Dragon will tend to enjoy copious amounts of monk levels, as that will compliment their build the most. (which equals immunity to fear)

Ferret Roll

Post by Ferret Roll » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:29 pm

. . .Should get a boost to their save against, or immunity to, Dragon Fear Aura.
A boost could make sense, because it's not as scary when you're a dragon. But when you're a young dragon facing an ancient one of an opposing type? There's definitely going to be some measure of fear.

That being such a particular thing to raise fear resistance against though, I think it's better to just take the fearless option at character gen if it's really important to someone rather than bothering to change the race's stats. There aren't enough dragons around that you'd be getting feared all the time anyway; fear in general doesn't seem very widely used.
Kashisjonny wrote:What is all this about PC Dragons not feeling fear??
I need to step my game up
Paladin dragons.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:20 am

zeylin17 wrote:Man on the Moon! I accept our duel!

P.S. people that are taking Dragon will tend to enjoy copious amounts of monk levels, as that will compliment their build the most. (which equals immunity to fear)
¬€~~€#@ [censored character name] is doing that, playing his @##~~€¬ dragon with a monk bassed build, what certainly makes him immune to mind effects plus givinh him awesome battle stats and attitudes (like the spells resistance that usually dragons have).

Monks (for stealthy builds), RDD (for sorc arcane builds) and paladins (for golden/silver goodness builds) seems the best options for Dragon character players.

P.S. Dragonlance dragons still being fat lizards (starrings are not the weak dragons there as some should be in a decent draconic history, where dragons were almost demi-divinities!)

Thank you

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:51 pm

The Man of the Moon wrote:RDD (for sorc arcane builds) and paladins (for golden/silver goodness builds) seems the best options for Dragon character players.
You'd need two 5% rolls for an RDD dragon. Don't tempt me to do that, man ^^

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:38 pm

zeylin17 wrote:P.S. people that are taking Dragon will tend to enjoy copious amounts of monk levels, as that will compliment their build the most. (which equals immunity to fear)
That's a losing proposition. The "real" dragon in shifted form will end up inferior to a vanilla human druid in dragon-shape.

Mindcraft

Post by Mindcraft » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:01 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:
zeylin17 wrote:P.S. people that are taking Dragon will tend to enjoy copious amounts of monk levels, as that will compliment their build the most. (which equals immunity to fear)
That's a losing proposition. The "real" dragon in shifted form will end up inferior to a vanilla human druid in dragon-shape.
Yes indeed. They are still pretty amazing though.
A bird sings not because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:05 pm

okay the fact dragonshaper is better than an actual dragon just cracks me up.

Kashisjonny

Post by Kashisjonny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:30 pm

it's ok it's not like druid monk players 8/10 times play just to be a cheap and easy powerbuild without prior thought to the rp behind it nothing to worry about ok

*checks most recent Pvp kill. scribbles top bit out*

Thake

Post by Thake » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:37 pm

They encourage RP they said

They will create options to make RP more fancy they said.

I went for 5% and most engine power.
Mithreas wrote:PC deaths give my life meaning, people.

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:00 am

IndifferentPerson wrote:okay the fact dragonshaper is better than an actual dragon just cracks me up.
Oh, they do have major perks dragonshapers do not enjoy :P

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:47 am

Kashisjonny wrote:it's ok it's not like druid monk players 8/10 times play just to be a cheap and easy powerbuild without prior thought to the rp behind it nothing to worry about ok

*checks most recent Pvp kill. scribbles top bit out*
Say, Kash, I don't suppose you remember a particular dwarf monk? Maybe some druid levels? Maybe called himself the dragon monk?

Anyways, nothing terribly wrong with a Dragon character going for monk levels to better their shifted form. Just pointing out that what they're going for has already been done by druids, and druids do it better.

I'd probably do something else with a Dragon on the off chance that I ever got one on a 5%. But it's a really off chance since I'd rather try Rakshasha RP.

Kashisjonny

Post by Kashisjonny » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:11 am

I have no idea who this character is and you are clearly tripping.

There are some really well played druid monks on the server. My undying hatred only extends to the ones that are just taking the build for an extremely cheap powerful build with the intentions of using this build for PvP purposes/stroking their e-peen when they talk about the ac they hit. Thankfully most get bored of having to roleplay the Druid part of the character and their evil schemes are never hatched, yet we must remain vigilant.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:28 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:I'd rather try Rakshasha RP.
I like you.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:24 am

If you're an "ACTUAL" dragon though, you don't get stronger by taking levels in a class, you get stronger by being 'old'

the fact you start out as a level 1 is a game-mechanic that can't really be helped, so your only real option is that you JUST are not that powerful of a Dragon, because you JUST are not that OLD.

Dragons that are big and powerful aren't that way because they are level 30, they are that way because they are a kazillion years old.

-I would tie Dragon's racial abilities to the number of game-years since appearance on Arelith.

then even AFTER you get to level 30, there will be "Level 30 PC-Dragons" and then there will be "LEVEL 30 PC-DRAGONS!!!!"

You want to be mega-powerful dragon PC? just putting 10,000 as your age at Character Creation shouldn't give you access to that.

play your Dragon to level 30, THEN hang around a couple of decades, each decade you are active, you get a little stronger. play long enough and yeah.. you're a true unrivaled force... getting stronger and stronger.

starting out though? yeah. they call them young dragons "Whelps" for a reason.

~K
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Valo65

Post by Valo65 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:34 am

An age-based rate of progression for their dragon form seems like a good idea, though it shouldn't be too long.

I'd say one should only have to wait two RL years to reach the final tier, and should be able to reach a very respectable size after just 4-6 months.

Or perhaps after reaching this point, one could receive an option to take on a Mark of Despair and then slowly over the course of the next.. three to six months reach some sort of absolute final stage, Great Wyrm or something like that, with appropriate stats.

It may be a lot faster a progression than what is canonical, no one is going to wait years IRL just to play a decent-sized dragon.
No one expects the Elvish Inquisition!

The Kriv

Post by The Kriv » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:52 am

well, in theory, power leveling your Dragon PC to level 30 in 4-months, shouldn't give access to all the big-bad-Snuggybear powers of being an Ancient Dragon.

it should not be a short-road to the most powerful PC on the server... though if someone were to play a Dragon PC, and invested years of IRL time in being active on the server, then I wouldn't have any problems allowing that Player access to some INSANE abilities that only a Dragon would have...

I also should think there need be a DEFINITE difference between someone who power-levels their Dragon PC to level 30 in a few IRL months, and a player who HAS put that IRL-Years of dedication into that Dragon-PC.

That's the core of my suggestion that there should be a difference between "level 30 Dragon PC" and "LEVEL 30 DRAGON PC!!!!!"
;)
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen