Change Speedy messengers; expand the idea

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Red Ropes

Change Speedy messengers; expand the idea

Post by Red Ropes » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:45 pm

I'd like to see speedy messengers changed, along with goblin messengers, to be things that a little more grounded in reality.

Goblin messengers and speedy messengers while being ancient fixtures are kind of goofy. I'd like to see them replaced for each settlement with a local variant that only works within that settlement. Ie; a different courier service that only works in that city and will not send a goblin to the depths of hell.

The prices would remain largely the same but they become limited. This means sending long distance speedies to alert the whole world of something become difficult.

--

For long distance the service becomes more expensive and uses the illusion sending that is already used by one of the castle couriers.

These would largely operate like the original but would be in places like the Arcane Tower, the Arcanum, and other places you'd expect to find magi. It would cost more.

Lastly with the 'scarcity' it makes the illusion sending by players to have a little more oomf that makes those focuses have value.
🤡

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Change Speedy messengers; expand the idea

Post by Irongron » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:36 pm

I agree very much with the 'goofy' point here. I think they are a relic of a more care-free, less serious time on Arelith (not to slam it, it was a lot of fun), but there are two issues with the suggestion, both serious...

First is that we reduce the ability to send messengers IC we will definitely see a greater use of metagaming via tells. Player don't need to have ill intent when doing this, often it can be simple laziness and convenience. I've no doubt that ready access to messengers prevents more of that happening on the server.

Secondly, regarding replacing them with something a little more 'believable' than an all powerful guild of inter-planar halfling postmen, is the fact that they are everywhere. It simply takes time to load up an area, adjust it, upload it, and move on. Furthemore there are the scripts to rewrite, the references to remove. It's not a small task, and I think we would have a confused set of priorities to persue that at this stage.

Rejected.