Revamp or remove the survival system

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

JediZero

Revamp or remove the survival system

Post by JediZero » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:05 pm

So, Gonna say a controversial suggestion. The Food/Water/Rest system does nothing but inhibit Roleplay and force us to take mandatory breaks from it to attend to meters. If the Arelith Server was a hardcore survival server where we were desperately trying to eke out a survival on the edge of a knife, the food/water/rest meter would serve beautifully. But it's not that.

Rest makes some sense as it keeps us from resting after every fight, and I feel like it should stop at 0.0 instead of going into negatives. However food and water serves absolutely no purpose except making us have to play like our characters are Tomogochi. We have to stop what we're doing to ensure our characters are fed and watered. If we don't want to nix the entire thing, we could consolidate it down into one meter for food/water. Drinking or eating fills it. But I propose instead of keeping the silly 'You have to feed your character because they're too dumb to eat/drink while offline' we instead turn it into a bonus of some sort. Something we could even tweak to be more based around mundanes and non-magical people.

The more class levels you have in a mundane class (perhaps Hit die based?) You get a percentage bonus to how much you can eat. And each food has a set number on how much it fills you up. Once you get full you can no longer consume food/drink that grants bonuses. Depending on how small or large the food is, it could be something as simple as a +2 to a skill for a small 10-20% fullness, or a full meal granting a +1 to two different stats and filling you up completely.

This also could turn herbalism/cooking into an interesting crafting tree because now you've got rare ingrediants to look for that will make your food provide even better buffs than anyone else.

This is a very base framework and I haven't crunched numbers to see if it's even remotely balanced, but I thought it'd be a nice literal cookie for the mundane classes.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Revamp or remove the survival system

Post by Irongron » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:12 pm

This has come up many times in the past, but I do not wish to change it, not least because it would require a ton of area work. I also don't want to require characters to consume yet more items to further optimise their characters. The food/rest/water system is not up for review, and is unlikely to be at any point in the foreseeable future. Rejected.