Magic

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Magic

Post by CosmicOrderV » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:50 am

Everything Orian_666 suggested in a post before mine was awesome, I think.

Wanted to touch on the removal of infinite casting for wizards and sorcerers. I think this should eventually be removed and instead something like what Orian_666 suggested implemented. In particular, the illusion's spam of Color Spray ends up trivializing most group encounters, and I say that as someone that completely takes advantage of it. Find the right mobs, low Will saves, round them up, color spray the ever-living-daylights out of them, and let your DPS'ers make a meal of it. Easy, no clean up, 10 minute EXP lunch.

Having something more along the lines of what Orian_666 suggested would be far more fun, and probably balanced.
Maybe with Haks, or maybe without, some other spells definitely need love.

Scare: Literally useless on anything level 6 or higher. Increase the Hit-Die cap according to Caster Level, like Sleep has been, and adjust the fear effect in line with others (such that it gives a debuff, rather than making you randomly run around).
Silence: Just seems to make sense to me that creatures in the area of effect of this spell should get some sort of boost to their Move Silent. I'm sure there's some creative use there.
Sound Burst: Low damage, SR check, and low circle means poor DC. Might be cool to see a lingering penalty to Listen, regardless of save.
Poison: When was the last time a cleric or druid cast that? Poor thing sucks. But if the DC could scale somehow instead of being static, it might see use.
Contagion: Also sucks, for the exact same reason. The DC would need to scale off something.
Healing Sting: SR check, Fort Save or no effect, requires caster to be within melee range. Would be nice to see a successful save only half the damage, instead of mitigate it entirely.
Quilfire: The poison also has a static DC that makes it a poor choice. Couple that with SR (and items like Blow Dart Guns giving one cast) and it making said blow darts feel worthless, since Spell Resistance apparently nullifies poison darts (?). Weird.
Bestow Curse: Spell Resistance check, plus Will Save (meaning it's easy to have immunity against), for only -2 ability score damage isn't really worth it. Maybe make it a Necromancy spell instead, and each necromancy focus increases the ability score damage by 1?

Can't think of any others, at the moment, but needless to say, spell tinkering is one of the things i'm excited to see in the future for arelith :D
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Magic

Post by Irongron » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:48 pm