Language ‘Thieves Cant’

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Piri

Language ‘Thieves Cant’

Post by Piri » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:37 pm

I think the RP value of Thieves Cant is somewhat diminished with how many players access it for a simple 3-4 level class dip.
It is supposed to be a closely guarded language, and so presumably one that takes some time to learn. Knowing how many builds take a rogue dip I would be unlikely to use this language in any scenario to signal other players. This is a shame because it is such a good language and communication method.

My suggestion would be to raise the level requirement of this language to something outside usual minimal dip range, say 6+ levels.

Also perhaps this language could be offered to bards, who share many characteristics of rogues. Perhaps in the case of the bard, who is perhaps not as frequently exposed to this language, the level requirement could be more like 8+?

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Language ‘Thieves Cant’

Post by Irongron » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:15 am

I just replied to another suggestion about this, suggesting its removal.

I think given that very few rogues are actually thieves, and many are actually honest, a blanket removal is a better course of action.

Rejected.