Remove or heavily restrict portal lenses

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Dagonlives

Remove or heavily restrict portal lenses

Post by Dagonlives » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:47 pm

These items are fair too easy to acquire, and make most conflict oriented roleplay pointless. I can't count the number of times someone has escaped or avoided a situation due to this item. They make distances, prison cells, and walls, which are all important narrative tools entirely pointless.

At least before this, you had to beg a wizard, or go forbid, walk.

No one takes a prison cell seriously. No one takes a locked wizard's tower seriously. Even an armed monster mob is not taken very seriously. They know they can just spend 2250 gold to escape that scenario without consequence. The amount of times I've seen a lens enhance roleplay versus detract from it are minimal.

When the gameplay mechanics inhibit or prevent cool roleplay rather then enhance it, they really need to be looked at, similar to my post about Timestop.
My Rp kinda like droppin' a betta in an otherwise serene fish-tank.

Current Concepts:
Jhaamdath Wenchslayer, Drow weaponmaster and pirate captain

Eruantien Chil Ryilnn Aelorothi Aleansha, War-mage and Diviner of Evermeet. .

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Remove or heavily restrict portal lenses

Post by Irongron » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:00 pm

Many jail cells have a feature to prevent the use of these items, and they also have a great utility for players who, for RL reasons can find they need to quickly abandon play.

They'll stay in at their current value.

Rejected.