Return Artefacts, but change the number/power of properties

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Jack Oat

Return Artefacts, but change the number/power of properties

Post by Jack Oat » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:03 pm

Before it seemed like Artefacts could contain 3-4 properties (AC/EB/AB/Ability bonus/Saves/Skills/Ele. DR/Etc.) that generally ranged between 1 and 4 (8-10 for skills, 6 for AC vs. races). That led to some fairly potent stuff that absolutely was overpowered.

That said, I don't think outright removing the system was the way to answer the issue. Artefacts gave high-level characters a reason to go out to Epic dungeons besides "Hey lemme add to my already massive wealth pool with even more gold."

Instead, what I propose is a mechanical change as such:

-Limit Artefacts to 2 properties.

-Let AC remain maxed at +4. This led to interesting items without damaging the combat meta.

-Limit the ability/save bonuses to +2. This, combined with only possessing 2 properties, means that the most you'd be able to achieve would be something like +4 AC, +2 STR on a set of fullplate. Not nearly as broken as +4 AC, +4 STR, +4 CON.

-Limit the bonus to skills to +4 or +5, but also change it to only procure relevant skills, such as Discipline/Spellcraft/Hide/Move Silently/Spot/Listen/Heal. Nothing was more disappointing than getting an artefact that was +8 to Craft Armor, only usable by Gnome.

Overall I feel this sort of system would be better for a replacement than outright removing any motivation to go exploring past 30 and full Epic gear. I loved the Artefact system. Not because I got stupid, overpowered, broken stuff out of it (because I never did), but because it gave unique stuff that you couldn't find anywhere else. The ability to create a cool story behind stuff we use gave personality to equipment, which otherwise would have been the generic grind of "I have 2 stat/4 skill gear, time to grind the crap out of gold until I can 5% Unisaves onto all of it.

Discussion of this suggestion can be held in the Artefact discussion thread, here.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable